Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/2019-non-tender-candidates-mlb-2019.html

If we sign Wheeler, I would look at some non tendered players to fill out some holes.

RF - Pillar 2/$15M

2B/Util - Profar 2/$9M

SP - Tyler Anderson 1/$2M with $4M team option

Though I have a hard time seeing Giants nontendering Anderson having just claimed him last month, nonetheless Pillar and Profar could be cheap, under the radar options.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we sign Wheeler, I would look at some non tendered players to fill out some holes.

RF - Pillar 2/$15M

2B/Util - Profar 2/$9M

Though I have a hard time seeing Giants nontendering Anderson having just claimed him last month, nonetheless Pillar and Profar could be cheap, under the radar options.

Profar would be a great add if cost is right.  He crushes lefties.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Profar would be a great add if cost is right.  He crushes lefties.

Had it not been for his fluky .218 BABIP he’d have had an .250/20HR and 2 WAR+ season. He’s another one I’d surprised to get non tendered. Bats both sides, plays multiple positions and draws walks, he’ll be a great fit.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

RF - Pillar 2/$15M

2B/Util - Profar 2/$9M

I'd be surprised if Profar actually got non-tendered, but if he did he would fit on just about any team.  Would like that move.

Pillar would be pretty gross as the everyday RF, though he would make the OF defense much improved.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be surprised if Profar actually got non-tendered, but if he did he would fit on just about any team.  Would like that move.

Pillar would be pretty gross as the everyday RF, though he would make the OF defense much improved.  

I don't know if this is where I'd spend my money but he'd make a really good 4th OF and he'd probably get a ton of playing time in that role. Sub in for Eloy or Robert late in games to rest both or improve defense if the game is close, covers CF for the first few weeks of the season, lots of injury replacement time was available last year, would be an excellent platoon partner for Pederson or Calhoun, would move Leury's job to mostly being backup IF.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know if this is where I'd spend my money but he'd make a really good 4th OF and he'd probably get a ton of playing time in that role. Sub in for Eloy or Robert late in games to rest both or improve defense if the game is close, covers CF for the first few weeks of the season, lots of injury replacement time was available last year, would be an excellent platoon partner for Pederson or Calhoun, would move Leury's job to mostly being backup IF.

Exactly.  Doesn't take much to convince to replace Engel with Pillar.  Pillar would be a great 4th OF, but pretty gross as everyday RF.  But yah, doesn't seem like best way to spend that $15M.

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  Doesn't take much to convince to replace Engel with Pillar.  Pillar would be a great 4th OF, but pretty gross as everyday RF.  But yah, doesn't seem like best way to spend that $15M.

I don’t understand the notion of trotting out a 110 wRC+ bat at every position as the only way to build a team. If you could save $$ at RF (let’s be honest, none of the RF options are that great this year) to build up your bullpen or get another notable starter alongside Wheeler, you’d at least think on it.

Pillar has averaged 2 WAR/year for the last 4 years and improves OF defense compares to many other RF options. And taking a closer look, I think you could even get him for 1/$6 or 2/$11, and if you could get him for cheap and pair with a offensive minded platoon, say Matt Joyce, there is a lot of surplus value right there. Plus, I think Pillar would have been the 8th or 9th hitter on the team anyways.

39 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don’t understand the notion of trotting out a 110 wRC+ bat at every position as the only way to build a team. If you could save $$ at RF (let’s be honest, none of the RF options are that great this year) to build up your bullpen or get another notable starter alongside Wheeler, you’d at least think on it.

Pillar has averaged 2 WAR/year for the last 4 years and improves OF defense compares to many other RF options. And taking a closer look, I think you could even get him for 1/$6 or 2/$11, and if you could get him for cheap and pair with a offensive minded platoon, say Matt Joyce, there is a lot of surplus value right there. Plus, I think Pillar would have been the 8th or 9th hitter on the team anyways.

Yah, I mean I'd vastly prefer David Peralta who should be only slightly more expensive than what you suggested for Pillar.  But I hear ya.  

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He's an aging outfielder who is a meh hitter that relies on defense for his value. He is now on the wrong side of 30. Lifetime OBP of .296. No thanks to Pillar. 

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Probably increases the chances the Mets trade one of their current outfielders.

Maybe, their issue was always that they didn't have a CFer with all the guys on their roster. So they aren't in too different of a place.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Maybe, their issue was always that they didn't have a CFer with all the guys on their roster. So they aren't in too different of a place.

Conforto, Nimmo, Marisnick, McNeil, JD Davis, and Dom Smith (saw time in the OF) they currently have on the roster (not worth mentioning Cespedes since he is hurt).

17 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Conforto, Nimmo, Marisnick, McNeil, JD Davis, and Dom Smith (saw time in the OF) they currently have on the roster (not worth mentioning Cespedes since he is hurt).

Right, something has to give there.  May not involve the Sox, but they're going to trade one of those guys.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I would hope the Sox would be all over this.  It's been reported that the Mets are hoping to package one of Lowrie or Familia with a valuable, low-cost outfielder just to shed salary.  Either Lowrie or Familia would be a fit with the Sox in the short term.

Familia and Conforto for Dunning, Collins, + 

Who says no?

35 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Would love McNeil but that would probably involve us picking up a bad contract like Cano or Cespedes. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.