Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

17 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Outside of all the dumb ass speculating, I do find it odd that there hasn't been a Yazmani Grandal intro press conference yet.  Not many "record breaking" signings in this team's history to not have one.  

Maybe waiting for a second big fish to land. 

There was a conference call for Grandal. No presser.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

on break, MLB The Show and Fortnite while I work on some applications for graduate school 0_o

Good luck on the grad apps...I am actually doing some online holiday shopping today so that I can get things delivered now and leave them around the house until I have to frantically wrap them right before Xmas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

Just kind of wanting to clarify: what is the significance of a team announcement on Yolmer vs. not announcing? And it takes 48 hours to finalize what is actually happening with him, right?

To be clear, my post was regarding Burr.

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

Just kind of wanting to clarify: what is the significance of a team announcement on Yolmer vs. not announcing? And it takes 48 hours to finalize what is actually happening with him, right?

It does take 48 hours.  In my opinion, I don't think there is much to announce with regard to Yolmer until another team claims him or he clears and thereby removed from the 40 man.  The fact that he was placed on waivers in and of itself doesn't necessarily call for a press release.

The Burr news though one would think would be corresponding move to adding someone to the 40 man.  Unless the Sox really think DFAing him now gives him a higher liklihood of clearing waivers - but not sure how doing that now versus when the next MLB signing is announced changes much.   

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It does take 48 hours.  In my opinion, I don't think there is much to announce with regard to Yolmer until another team claims him or he clears and thereby removed from the 40 man.  The fact that he was placed on waivers in and of itself doesn't necessarily call for a press release.

The Burr news though one would think would be corresponding move to adding someone to the 40 man.  Unless the Sox really think DFAing him now gives him a higher liklihood of clearing waivers - but not sure how doing that now versus when the next MLB signing is announced changes much.   

I do think doing the DFA right before Thanksgiving when teams have filled up their rosters for the rule 5 draft makes sense as a way to get a guy through waivers. Is the rule 5 draft on the Thursday of Winter Meetings week? Because that's just about 10 business days away.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do think doing the DFA right before Thanksgiving when teams have filled up their rosters for the rule 5 draft makes sense as a way to get a guy through waivers. Is the rule 5 draft on the Thursday of Winter Meetings week? Because that's just about 10 business days away.

Why wouldn’t every team do it then?

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Only way a deadline could make sense is if wheeler has a deadline. 

Theres so much smoke here now I almost am starting to think it doesnt happen.

This is where I'm at. I've been condition to only expect the unexpected, and assume I'll be let down otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Burr would have to spend 90 days on an MLB active roster for the Rule 5 team to keep him. 

I dont see that being possible so I dont think this has anything to do with the Rule 5.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer