7/26 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Something seems “fishy” about Nelson Cruz in general if we’re being honest, but that’s a different conversation. 

I think he and Polanco are sharing their spiked protein shakes with the rest of the damn team. 

Test the entire lineup. 

Polanco is a known roider as well. 

Also about Cruz he was nothing until he was like 28 and started using the juice. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on something that's one step ahead of drug testing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

OMG Robert and Moncada are going to beast. 

Also, the way the Twins teed off on Sox pitching made me wonder if there's some pitch tipping or something else fishy going on. They were all over everything. There's just something fishy about 10+ HR in a 3 game series by one team. Sox pitching isn't that bad. 

I was reading that HotStoveIntel dude on Twitter and maybe I was reading it wrong but he implied the Twins were on roids "Nelson Cruz refuses to age, I wonder why?"

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would that be good or bad for his near-term outlook?

Depends on what the issue is. If it's an acute bursa issue, an injection will take care of it quickly. If it's more rotator cuff,  labrum or bicep issue it could be the 6 weeks mentioned earlier which would essentially end his season.

31 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

24 runs given up in 2 games Grandal has caught. Grandal sucks!!!!! 

well, to be fair, he has certainly looked very similar to the other NL > AL Free Agents we've signed over the last decade with maybe one exception

10 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I was reading that HotStoveIntel dude on Twitter and maybe I was reading it wrong but he implied the Twins were on roids "Nelson Cruz refuses to age, I wonder why?"

Like I said before, test the Twinkies for performance enhancers at the same time you're testing for covid 😁

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

OMG Robert and Moncada are going to beast. 

Also, the way the Twins teed off on Sox pitching made me wonder if there's some pitch tipping or something else fishy going on. They were all over everything. There's just something fishy about 10+ HR in a 3 game series by one team. Sox pitching isn't that bad. 

They hit 300+ homers last year and kicked our asses while doing it. 

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They hit 300+ homers last year and kicked our asses while doing it. 

I know they hit 300+ HR last year, they're not the best offense ever assembled, and they blew away the previous record by 30+ HR.  I think the previous record was 276.

EDIT it was actually 267. They still have the golf balls. This is ridiculous. a lot of these HRs should have been flyouts. 

They've decided that if they can't juice the players they're going to juice the balls, which is BS. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know they hit 300+ HR last year, they're not the best offense ever assembled, and they blew away the previous record by 30+ HR.  I think the previous record was 276.

EDIT it was actually 267. They still have the golf balls. This is ridiculous. a lot of these HRs should have been flyouts. 

They've decided that if they can't juice the players they're going to juice the balls, which is BS. 

This is why my love affair with baseball is challenged once the season starts. For whatever reason, most hitters are trying to hit it out of the park every single plate appearance. I guess modern analytics demands that an all or nothing approach makes you the most money on the free agent market. Also the strike zone bothers me and of course the fact there are so many gawd awful relievers/and starters in the game today, the Sox have their fair share of such stiffs. I will admit I love seeing my guy, Leury, clear the fence and of course Robert, Eloy et all, but home run derby does continue.

As far as this past series, yes it means nothing as it's so early, but I remain very concerned about our starters not named Keuchel and Cease (hoping he's a special stud in 2020) and many many of our relievers. Our defense is what it is. I'm not going to criticize it but it certainly isn't elite. I think because of the fact we have three dandy catchers (Grandal, McCann, Collins), I'd have put together some kind of trade for pitching last offseason.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully they are way off base. I know the home run is beloved and I'm not trying to say I am against our guys hitting them, but undeniably home run derby has taken over baseball in many ways. I'll be as happy as anybody when the Sox hit them.

Edited by greg775

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

I must be the only one who hated the idea of Timmy batting lead off. Said all along if you want to maximize offense, Grandal should probably be hitting first.

I understand Grandal at 1 based on the principle that OBP is most important there but since the leadoff usually comes to the plate with the fewest folks on base, wouldn't it be a waste of his power? Leadoff should be high OBP and low power which incidentally would rule out Robert as well despite his liking for that spot. Grandal at 1 would also mean back to back lefties which would then leave us like with 5 righties in a row and that could be a problem with a righty killer on the mound. 

The only person that potentially fits the bill is Madrigal but that would require him to consistently hit .310 in order to get to an OBP of around .360 or .370. If he has no power at all eventually teams will play with 5 IFers and only 2 OFers in order to snuff out all his soft contact in which case you can forget about a .310 average. Hes gonna have to hit some doubles in the gap to force people to play him honestly. 

I've calmed down and content with Cease and Rodon going forward. Cease should have been the #3 and that is what made me so upset. The #3 spot is a literal black hole right now. Gio or dunning or Lambert are the only possible solutions and I don't like any of them in that spot. Really hoping they can reorder and put cease as 3 and Rodon as 4.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I understand Grandal at 1 based on the principle that OBP is most important there but since the leadoff usually comes to the plate with the fewest folks on base, wouldn't it be a waste of his power? Leadoff should be high OBP and low power which incidentally would rule out Robert as well despite his liking for that spot. Grandal at 1 would also mean back to back lefties which would then leave us like with 5 righties in a row and that could be a problem with a righty killer on the mound. 

The only person that potentially fits the bill is Madrigal but that would require him to consistently hit .310 in order to get to an OBP of around .360 or .370. If he has no power at all eventually teams will play with 5 IFers and only 2 OFers in order to snuff out all his soft contact in which case you can forget about a .310 average. Hes gonna have to hit some doubles in the gap to force people to play him honestly. 

Tatis, Jr., leads off for SD and was on 40+ homer pace last season...

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

SD also underperformed last year compared to expectations.

Perhaps he should have been hitting 4th. 

They’ve really retooled this year with an eye on defense/athleticism and guys like Pham and Profar bringing more professional at-bats and rubbing off on everyone else.  The White Sox tried to do same with Grandal and EE.   Gone are all or nothing hitters like Reyes and Renfroe.

The one huge advantage they have is their depth of pitching talent.  Gore and Patino could be absolute monsters.  Paddack is already a very good #2.  Garrett Richards is back in the 94-97 mph range.

Today was pretty much an unmitigated disaster starting with the weird pregame lineup announcements. Rey bombed and hurt. Eloy hurt. Backup plan for Rey (Gonzalez) bombed. Detwiler 0 earned runs in a couple of appearances so far this season.

Positive take is Robert looks awesome and Engel too. Hey if Engel has somehow turned a corner he's a great 4th OF . Engel getting 2 doubles off Maeda who is very good against RHH should mean a lot less PT for Delmonico . No reason to keep Delmonico in now when Engel is a much better fielder and now appears to be the better hitter. Having good AB's doesn't mean a hell of a lot if the end result is weak ground balls. K's and popups.

On the bad side I see everyone saying Gonzalez , Dunning and Lambert but it could be Detwiler taking Lopez' spot. Lambert is not an option at least from that Tweet someone posted about only going 2 innings max. Sox are TJ maxed out losing Kopech and having 3 starters attempting comebacks from that surgery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Today was pretty much an unmitigated disaster starting with the weird pregame lineup announcements. Rey bombed and hurt. Eloy hurt. Backup plan for Rey (Gonzalez) bombed. Detwiler 0 earned runs in a couple of appearances so far this season.

Positive take is Robert looks awesome and Engel too. Hey if Engel has somehow turned a corner he's a great 4th OF . Engel getting 2 doubles off Maeda who is very good against RHH should mean a lot less PT for Delmonico . No reason to keep Delmonico in now when Engel is a much better fielder and now appears to be the better hitter. Having good AB's doesn't mean a hell of a lot if the end result is weak ground balls. K's and popups.

On the bad side I see everyone saying Gonzalez , Dunning and Lambert but it could be Detwiler taking Lopez' spot. Lambert is not an option at least from that Tweet someone posted about only going 2 innings max. Sox are TJ maxed out losing Kopech and having 3 starters attempting comebacks from that surgery.

Yea... very likely that was the ugliest game of the year. We got it out of the way and hopefully we’ll hit our stride soon.

Win tomorrow and erase today then.