White Sox Acquire Jarrod Dyson from PIT

Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And in the 8th and 9th inning with a lead, the Sox can have an OF of Dyson, Robert, and Engel. No one matches it.

If the rosters were 26, I wouldn't want Dyson, but 28, he does serve a purpose as long as Ricky doesn't fall in love with him. But even then, with the Sox current roster, it would be very hard for Ricky to play him too much.

No one. If you're not hitting a 10-25% catch probability, you're not getting a hit, and I'd guess even a lot of the 10-25% balls would be caught by that group. You can shade engel and Dyson towards the corners and shallow because Robert is so damn explosive going back and into the gaps. Take away the entire outfield.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one. If you're not hitting a 10-25% catch probability, you're not getting a hit, and I'd guess even a lot of the 10-25% balls would be caught by that group. You can shade engel and Dyson towards the corners and shallow because Robert is so damn explosive going back and into the gaps. Take away the entire outfield.

The pitchers are getting a lot happier with this move, Yolmer's signing (even if it's a minor league deal), and Madrigal returning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stone definitely raved about his D while PIttsburgh was here.

Yeah, I love outfield defense and speed so Dyson always been a me guy.

Dyson has been worth 13.6 fWAR in 2679 AB's; good for a fWAR/600 over 3. He's been an above average MLB player in his career despite having a career wRC+ of 78. That's.... remarkable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quin said:

The pitchers are getting a lot happier with this move, Yolmer's signing (even if it's a minor league deal), and Madrigal returning.

The defensive turnaround this year was already pretty insane.  Adding two gold glove caliber defenders to the bench takes it to a whole other level.  Hopefully Goins and Gonzalez enjoyed those MLB paychecks for a while.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I love outfield defense and speed so Dyson always been a me guy.

Dyson has been worth 13.6 fWAR in 2679 AB's; good for a fWAR/600 over 3. He's been an above average MLB player in his career despite having a career wRC+ of 78. That's.... remarkable.

You started this with "why, I don't know" and within 45 minutes you love it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You started this with "why, I don't know" and within 45 minutes you love it.

At the time, I thought the Sox had traded Int Money from next period. When I realized that wasn't the case, I quickly realized they basically just bought Dyson for free to be a late inning guy. 

Summary: I read more, learned more, and realized exactly why they made the move. 

I forgot playoff rosters are even a little bigger too; which means you can literally carry him and Engel despite them serving a similar role.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

34 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Almost think that would hurt his value if it was, because his value is his ability to get you second base so it's a good thing that's not a post season rule. If he's already there, there's plenty of guys who can go 2nd to home on a good jump. His ability is to get 2nd base for you no matter what. 

Will never forget the Royals calling up Jarrod to just be a pinch runner and it ended up getting them a huge run.

Am I remembering this correctly?....I want to say there was a series late in the year in the season before the Royals won it all, in which KC won 2 of the games in the later innings against the Sox where their speed on the basepaths destroyed the Sox?

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Am I remembering this correctly?....I want to say there was a series late in the year in the season before the Royals won it all, in which KC won 2 of the games in the later innings against the Sox where their speed on the basepaths destroyed the Sox?

Yep I believe it was Gore who scored from 2nd on a wild pitch 

I had no idea Dyson was 36.  This makes more sense than burning service time for Gonzalez I suppose.  They now have two super-sub defensive OFs they can throw out there in late innings.  Helps the PR game too.  Not much to dislike assuming they didn't/couldn''t/weren't using the INT money anyway.

Edited by SouthWallace

1 minute ago, daggins said:

Giving up intl money. This is less egregious than the Nate Jones deal for example, but it's still baffling that they are just giving away cap space.

Realistically, this period was supposed to be over in June, but because of COVID was extended when the last period got pushed to Jan of 21.  Effectively, anyone who could be signed, was already signed because the full expectation was that the class would be over with at this point.  We are also talking about $243k worth of space, in an environment where the flowers have all been picked, and the weeds remain. This has no effect on the big class we are looking at for next year.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Realistically, this period was supposed to be over in June, but because of COVID was extended when the last period got pushed to Jan of 21.  Effectively, anyone who could be signed, was already signed because the full expectation was that the class would be over with at this point.  We are also talking about $243k worth of space, in an environment where the flowers have all been picked, and the weeds remain. This has no effect on the big class we are looking at for next year.

yeah, I didn't know two things when I made the post:

1. It's for 19/20

2. It's their entire remaining pool

Totally fine with it now, tbh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In other words, we just got Dyson for nothing at all.

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nothing to dislike about this move.  I dare anyone to find a faster outfield in history that Dyson/Robert/Engel

Maybe the '85 Cardinals (Coleman, McGee, Van Slyke)?  But Van Slyke is not as fast as Engel.   But your point is valid...that is a ridiculously fast OF and not much would drop that isn't killed.