Padres Acquire Clevinger per Multiple Reports

bmags

Just now, Quin said:

So, what's the Sox equivalent of this?

I'm not sure another team could have given up the MLB-available talent that the pads just gave up, even if they avoided some of their heavy hitters in Gore/Abrams.

I don't rate Naylor or Quantrill all that highly. 

Hedges, who cares.

I don't know much of Cantillo.

Arias may turn out to be a good major leaguer but I don't see the whole package coming together.  

I think San Diego has actually pulled this off.  My opinion of Clevinger is sky high, I think he can be the best pitcher in the game.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Opens up a spot in the rotation for Plesac (unless they are still upset at him).

From reports on MLBTradeRumors, there were teammates that were so pissed at Clevinger and Plesac that they were going to opt out of the season if they both were brought back. So it seems like the whole organization was pissed at them. With that stated, they both are studs. Cleveland knows how to develop pitching. 

For the Padres, one point that was brought up is they changed out both of their catchers including the best framer in the majors. This doesn't bode well for their SP if you ask me. I wonder if Castro is the primary catcher.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

From reports on MLBTradeRumors, there were teammates that were so pissed at Clevinger and Plesac that they were going to opt out of the season if they both were brought back. So it seems like the whole organization was pissed at them. With that stated, they both are studs. Cleveland knows how to develop pitching. 

For the Padres, one point that was brought up is they changed out both of their catchers including the best framer in the majors. This doesn't bode well for their SP if you ask me. I wonder if Castro is the primary catcher.

At least Plesac was honest. Clevinger straight up lied about going out.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Not all farm systems are equal. Padres are stacked with quality and depth.

I've never claimed to be some miLB expert.  I know the Padres and Sox both have solid systems.  I'd imagine the talents of 7,9, and 11 are fairly similar between the two systems.  If not, instead of getting on my ass, how about you experts offer up what you think the Sox equivalent would be?

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I've never claimed to be some miLB expert.  I know the Padres and Sox both have solid systems.  I'd imagine the talents of 7,9, and 11 are fairly similar between the two systems.  If not, instead of getting on my ass, how about you experts offer up what you think the Sox equivalent would be?

I don't think we have a depth equivalent of this, we'd have to beat it with top end talent. 

5 minutes ago, daggins said:

I think an equivalent might be something like Cease / Collins / Engel for the MLB component. For the prospects, well, we don't really have a comparable farm system to Cleveland.

Let's say Cease, Collins, Engel...and Kopech.

How would we feel about that?

Edit: Toss out Kopech and do Stiever + Dunning

IMHO opinion, the real winner of this trade is Quantrill. He has a lot of talent, but hasn't really developed. I think he could use a little of that Indians magic.  

This seems like Quantity of Quality unless Quantrill develops, but that's what the Indians do.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

IMHO opinion, the real winner of this trade is Quantrill. He has a lot of talent, but hasn't really developed. I think he could use a little of that Indians magic.  

This seems like Quantity of Quality unless Quantrill develops, but that's what the Indians do.

That's a good point about the Indians. Any pitcher with an ounce of talent does well for them.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox  traded Giolito because he went out one night for a similar package, I think I would be kind of pissed.

I couldn't imagine how hard this had to be hard on Cleveland fans knowing these two really good pitchers might possibly never play for them again because they were arrogant stupid young men, like many are.  AND salt in the wound is because of what happened and you know Cleveland is trying to dump them because of bad blood, you will get a lesser value.  I'm guessing Plesac stays but will he come back this season?  Seems like the organization has put their foot down on that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let's say Cease, Collins, Engel...and Kopech.

How would we feel about that?

I think your first 3 are right, I just don't think Kopech is the right stand-in for arias. I think it would just be a different package. Kopech/Engel/(Thompson or Dalquist)/some position player they were high on.