Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Well, Todd Frazier and Laroche had plenty they contributed to that, and so did Sale. They were all better at cultivating a public personality than Eaton, but there was plenty about each of these people that could easily rub others the wrong way.  That was a horribly constructed clubhouse.

And don't even get me started on Ozzie. 

Eaton is definitely far from innocent, but I think he got the bulk of the blame and that wasn't totally fair. I get those who don't want him back - it's a fair argument- and is likely an unnecessary risk, but that fits the TLR decision and theme of the offseason. I've been one of the loudest members here against the TLR hiring, but I think he can handle an Eaton in the clubhouse. 

At least Eaton was good for us. Frazier SUCKED AS DID LAROCHE.

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think there are two sides to everything. I’m sure Eaton can be a dick, but he’s also a winner (like AJ). I’ve played sports with guys like that. I love having them on my team. Other guys on my team hated it. But if you’re winning, none of that really matters. 

Here’s an example of somebody who said he’s one of the best teammates he’s ever had:

“When I was playing against him, he’s that guy that rubs you wrong a little bit,” veteran infielder Howie Kendrick told NBC Sports Chicago. “But once you get on a team with him, he’s probably one of the best teammates, if not the best teammate that I’ve ever had.”

“On that (World Series) team, he was one of the biggest pieces for us because of the way he went about the game and his ability to play all facets of the game, whether it’s moving runners, bunting, speed and obviously his defense,” Kendrick explained. “You go back and watch those tapes and it definitely shows.

“As far as clubhouses go, you need guys like Adam to be around, especially if there’s young players. He’s not afraid to talk to guys. He’s not afraid to be who he is. I think that he rubs off on other people, the way he plays the game. He lent information to the young guys (Juan Soto and Víctor Robles) about approaching situations in the outfield, whether it was throwing to bases or certain situations during the game, those guys would always talk.”

All I can say to this is there are plenty of arrogant loud mouths in high level sports clubhouses. Imo, Eaton is not a classic example of that. Every team has someone who pushes or shoves all day, and some guys definitely can be bothered by that. The difference is, in those clubhouses people get that. That's not what Eaton was. How do I know? Because it takes a special breed of dick for many teammates and players to publicly rip you in the press.

I'll use Carl as an example. From all I have heard, Carl was a psychopath and impossible to get along with. You still didn't have people putting their name on their slander of him publicly. Even AJ - with the exception of garland calling him a horrible person post retirement lol - didn't have teammates putting their name on slandering him. Aubrey huff was a horrible teammare - shocking news - but no one hated him so much they were gonna call him out in the press.

When you see guys say everyone hates this guy, and they put their name on it in those clubhouses, it means Eaton is above and beyond the guys youre explaining. Maybe he's matured but it seems unlikely. And Kendrick is backing his guy, that's fine. I'm not saying everyone in baseball hates Eaton. Baseball is full of tons of personalities, but for him to be laughed at by so many shows he's a special breed of bozo.

There was the outfielder the cubs signed Milton Bradley- he had that kind of hatred brewing throughout the game. I kind of loved Milton for that though lol. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

39 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Welcome to my very small club.  You make some excellent points IMO.

Your Sox optimist club is growing!!  I have to say I don't love not getting Springer...mostly I'm mad that they didn't get Bryce Harper a couple of years ago...still I SEE the plan. I think it all makes sense as part of a long term strategy that has brought us to a pretty good spot today.  This narrative that the White Sox are cheap is just not true...from 2006 through 2011 they had a top five payroll four times.  JR doesn't spend when it doesn't make sense...and I get that the rebuild was painful...but now that it makes sense to rebuild you don't have to race into the game and through money at the first pretty face.   A top five payroll today would be $175 million.  We are at $100 million.   Lynn and Eaton are bridges to 2022 without us busting the budget.   This allows us to get to the trade deadline and if the Brewers or the Phillies are floundering again...we absolutely have the budget to get Harper or Yelich and really not much more money  on their remaining contracts than Springer is demanding.    Financially flexibility going forward is a BIG advantage and we didn't use it up while getting two very useful pieces for 2021.  This should be loved.  

17 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Your Sox optimist club is growing!!  I have to say I don't love not getting Springer...mostly I'm mad that they didn't get Bryce Harper a couple of years ago...still I SEE the plan. I think it all makes sense as part of a long term strategy that has brought us to a pretty good spot today.  This narrative that the White Sox are cheap is just not true...from 2006 through 2011 they had a top five payroll four times.  JR doesn't spend when it doesn't make sense...and I get that the rebuild was painful...but now that it makes sense to rebuild you don't have to race into the game and through money at the first pretty face.   A top five payroll today would be $175 million.  We are at $100 million.   Lynn and Eaton are bridges to 2022 without us busting the budget.   This allows us to get to the trade deadline and if the Brewers or the Phillies are floundering again...we absolutely have the budget to get Harper or Yelich and really not much more money  on their remaining contracts than Springer is demanding.    Financially flexibility going forward is a BIG advantage and we didn't use it up while getting two very useful pieces for 2021.  This should be loved.  

That's not a narrative, it's just deductive reasoning. One small period of inflation doesn't erase something that is plainly obvious otherwise.

I'm sorry but you're buying into the real narrative, one that is demonstrably not true, and has been backed up with numbers. JR is cheap. Just accept it.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is my biggest issue. You're basically guaranteeing large stretches of Engel/Garcia as your starting RF

I don't mind seeing some Engel.  He deserves it.  Controlling Adam's urges to be a dick should be easier with no supporting network of other dicks for him to play stupid for.  A former HS teacher once told me that he looked around a class on the first day and if he only spotted one jerk kid, he knew things could be kept rolling smoothly.  More than one?  Problems galore.  The money saved on Adam can be used for arm(s).

I wanted Mazara back anyway.  I think his "strep throat" gave him a one-year Get Out Of Jail ticket.  Call me crazy, but I'll be checking back in this fall.

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When you see guys say everyone hates this guy, and they put their name on it in those clubhouses, it means Eaton is above and beyond the guys youre explaining. 

Not necessarily. Could mean that the guys yapping are below the teammates of the guys who remained silent. I get people are really into outrage over any deviance from the narrowing range of acceptable behavior these days, but just because someone is offended and tells everybody about it doesn't make them right.

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Baseball is full of tons of personalities, but for him to be laughed at by so many shows he's a special breed of bozo.

I know about Frazier and I’ve heard Ozzie’s comments, but who else spoke out about not liking Eaton? I’m not asking this to argue a point. I’m genuinely curious. 

The only person I really could see Eaton clashing with on this team would be Anderson. Both seem to have "type-A" personalities. Eaton seems to have more of an "old-school" approach and thought process...while Anderson obviously does not.

But, Eaton did sign, and he knows what this team is about. He obviously thinks he can win another world series here, so I doubt he would instigate anything.

Eaton doesn''t seems to fit on this team or in this franchise.  IMO, an Engel/Leury platoon would have been fine until some more sensible solution could be pursued.

Jezus, did they even try for Joc or inquire about a trade for Benintendi or  try to get Springer? 

This has Rick F-ing Hahn written all over it.   Just like last off-season, he can't put the finishing pieces in place to take the team to the next level.

That is why he was runner up for Executive of the  year.  He couldn't close that deal either.

36 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I don't mind seeing some Engel.  He deserves it.  Controlling Adam's urges to be a dick should be easier with no supporting network of other dicks for him to play stupid for.  A former HS teacher once told me that he looked around a class on the first day and if he only spotted one jerk kid, he knew things could be kept rolling smoothly.  More than one?  Problems galore.  The money saved on Adam can be used for arm(s).

I wanted Mazara back anyway.  I think his "strep throat" gave him a one-year Get Out Of Jail ticket.  Call me crazy, but I'll be checking back in this fall.

Lol. As a former screw off  in high school I love dealing with jerk kids.  I'm usually the second jerk and I will have the class on my side. 

These guys are adults. We've all worked with talented assholes and survived.  

39 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Those of us who choose optimism choose to enjoy baseball for the love of the sport.  If we don't have a good team we get excited about our good player or the new rookie everyone says will be the next big thing.  We find a reason to follow the games.  Lynn & Eaton make us a better team without a doubt.  Springer and Bauer would of course be exciting signings but if they didn't work out...they are very limiting for future moves.  Money is limited for every team to some degree.  In the last two days, we have added a front line starting pitcher and a big upgrade for an RF problem area.  What's not to like?  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Eaton doesn''t seems to fit on this team or in this franchise.  IMO, an Engel/Leury platoon would have been fine until some more sensible solution could be pursued.

Jezus, did they even try for Joc or inquire about a trade for Benintendi or  try to get Springer? 

This has Rick F-ing Hahn written all over it.   Just like last off-season, he can't put the finishing pieces in place to take the team to the next level.

That is why he was runner up for Executive of the  year.  He couldn't close that deal either.

You finished in second place as well, Mr. Renteria. 

19 minutes ago, tray said:

Eaton's obviously not many's top choice, but Eaton/Engel is clearly far superior to Leury/Engel. Leury is a pretty good utility infielder. If we've still got him playing OF in '21 when we're supposed to be going for the pennant, that is a far bigger problem than Eaton. Only reason to have Leury in the out field is lack of depth, as was the case the last couple years.

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Declining

Slowing

Worse on defense

Worse on offense

Also an asshole.

other than that, great move.

Most accurate posted of the past 20 years. Fucking awful signing. He's always injured, is an asshole, and is not a plus in any area. Is he better than the other options? Hell no. Joc at least can at least be a dependable platoon player and is healthy.

Goddamn this move is awful.

The more I think of it, I hate it even more. This is like paying an extra $100 on knock off Jordans when you didn't need to.

This is Ryan Pace trading up for Mitchell Trubisky when there were better options available and you didn't need to use up any assets.

Edited by nitetrain8601
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1