Gavin Sheets - STUD

ron883

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah.  Vaughn is going to play everyday - the only question is where.  Likely in LF as he's a better LF than Eloy.  Maybe they put him RF, maybe he shifts to 1B after 2022. Probably gets some DH at bats as well if they feel the need to put Eloy in the field some. But he's going to be an everyday player.  

I agree, Vaughn could be an everyday DH/1B or OF  even after Eloy and Eaton return. He has had a couple of good games against RH pitchers, but guys like Ober are not what the Sox will see the rest of the way.  Ober was pretty awful and the Sox made the Twins pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tray said:

I agree, Vaughn could be an everyday DH/1B or OF  even after Eloy and Eaton return. He has had a couple of good games against RH pitchers, but guys like Ober are not what the Sox will see the rest of the way.  Ober was pretty awful and the Sox made the Twins pay.

Vaughn is not a finished product.  He is a just turned 23-year old that hadn't had an at bat above A ball prior to this season.  What he is now is not what he is going to be, and people pigeon-holing him into a platoon role now and into the future are comical.  Hitting MLB pitching is extremely difficult, and he's learning.  He's going to be a cornerstone of this offensive with Eloy, Luis, Yoan and Nick for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Sheets is pricing himself out as a piece in an Eduardo Escobar trade. You don't give up 6 years of a guy who looks like a legit ML contributor for a half year of Escobar. It's a good problem to have. Maybe he is part of a bigger trade at this point. 

Just like Yermin was the long-term DH solution after one month.

In this fantasy world, Gordon Beckham is the White Sox version of Derek Jeter, Brian Anderson is retiring as Torii Hunter Lite and Dayan Viciedo is putting up for the Sox the same Eloy Jimenez numbers that he does in Japan.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just like Yermin was the long-term DH solution after one month.

In this fantasy world, Gordon Beckham is the White Sox version of Derek Jeter, Brian Anderson is retiring as Torii Hunter Lite and Dayan Viciedo is putting up for the Sox the same Eloy Jimenez numbers that he does in Japan.

gordon beckham 808 ops 14 home runs his first year.. 

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Hey look:

Irrational exuberance after a kid bum-slays for 2 games. I wonder when the juggernaut thread will come back.

All kidding aside, good for Sheets, and good for us. And I hope this continues. But let's pump the brakes before proclaiming this kid a "stud."

I like this for the term bum-slays. That's exactly what he and the Sox did while at home. On the road they haven't been so good at bum-slaying.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Someone compared him to Lyle Overbay.

15-20 homer guys at that position are relatively rare, names like Grace and Olerud and Kruk come ro mind, but they were all excellent pure hitters.  Or you better play Gold Glove level defense, more like a Brandon Belt. 

Gavin is a much bigger person than grace & overbay. I like that he is a good hitter and not a Palka type. The power will be there as he ages. If he is able to hit major league pitching I believe he will progress to be a 30 + homer guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Hey look:

Irrational exuberance after a kid bum-slays for 2 games. I wonder when the juggernaut thread will come back.

All kidding aside, good for Sheets, and good for us. And I hope this continues. But let's pump the brakes before proclaiming this kid a "stud."

I don't disagree but you have to admit...he has a nice swing.  

• Like 1

Would love for him to turn into a Jared Walsh type. Their minor league careers aren't similar - but he's still been a better player in MLB than he was in MILB.  Sheets certainly has a frame - so no reason he couldn't hit for power.  Odds are it doesn't work, but hey, you never know and he certainly has the right skills/tools.  

• Like 1

Very impressive for a LH hitter to get on top of a high fast ball. The kid has earned some more playing time. Maybe the Sox should just wait until the trade deadline, unless some team makes a compelling offer. Between Burger, Sheets and Beckham, they should be able to fill the holes, until Eloy and Robert return. Vaughn's improvement versus RHP is also very encouraging. Incidentally, Beckham hit his 11TH tonight and was 2 for 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Very impressive for a LH hitter to get on top of a high fast ball. The kid has earned some more playing time. Maybe the Sox should just wait until the trade deadline, unless some team makes a compelling offer. Between Burger, Sheets and Beckham, they should be able to fill the holes, until Eloy and Robert return. Vaughn's improvement versus RHP is also very encouraging. Incidentally, Beckham hit his 11TH tonight and was 2 for 4.

It was interesting that they went with Burger over Beckham.  They must just have him there as a backup to TA is all I can figure.

As I wrote in another thread, it will only cost the Sox $1.3 Million to put Beckham on the roster. Seems like a no brainer. He is really on fire at Charlotte and he has the Major League experience. He is the most logical replacement for Madrigal, and they don't have to give up any prospects. If Sheets can supply a little LH balance to the lineup, he is the prospect who should be playing, at least until they get Eloy and Robert back.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1