8/14 Sox vs Yankees - 6:10 CT first pitch

Just now, MexSoxFan#1 said:

All gloom and doom in here, I'm sensing a 9th inning comeback win, let's go dammit

I will admit I was dooming and glooming from the moment I saw the lineup posted!  When I saw Jake Lamb at DH hitting 8th I was resigned to losing!  Not his fault...but on a team that long ago was made up of "too many 1B/DHs"...that is what we are now?  

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Collins is easily one of the biggest disappointments of the last 10 years. Can't really hit and defense went from passable to bad before our eyes. 

Another wasted draft pick, never hit at all

Edited by Soxfest

The problem with picking up Kimbrel's option with the goal of trading him is that every executive in baseball thinks the White Sox are crazy to spend $30 million or whatever it is on just two relievers.   Hahn wouldn't have very much leverage at all.

That's basically not far off from the Opening Day payroll of the Indians/Guardians.

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Every damn gamethread. Lots o crow eaten Thursday...today would basically be a twofer

It's one game and a loss means very little. Team is still great, but being critical of investing this type of capital in two post 32 year old relievers isn't doom and gloom, it's reality and there's a reason no other team has ever done it. 

Team still great. Bullpen still a huge concern come playoff time. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was a closer on a bad team. Hardly some hype machine.

What does the Cubs being bad, have to do with what he accomplished before the trade? Pretty sure no other reliever in baseball had those numbers.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I will admit I was dooming and glooming from the moment I saw the lineup posted!  When I saw Jake Lamb at DH hitting 8th I was resigned to losing!  Not his fault...but on a team that long ago was made up of "too many 1B/DHs"...that is what we are now?  

They seriously would have been better off pulling an Ohtani and letting Cease hit for himself.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You can't get a 34 year old closer for 16 million? News to me. I can't think of the last reliever at that age demanding much more than that. Especially coming off 2 of 3 down years. Would he likely get more guaranteed money as a FA? Sure. But I doubt it would be at that aav.

Stop acting like he’s some average closer, he was legit the best reliever in baseball when we acquired him and he has a HoF track record.  No one gives a shit that he had a bad 1 1/2 year stretch, he’d get paid based on his projected future value.  It’s very apparent you didn’t like the trade from a conceptual standpoint and are using any bad appearance by him to try to prove your point.  You are better than this Ray.  The dude would have gotten paid a lot more than 1/$16M this offseason if he were a free agent and it’s not even a debate.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Bullpens are like underwear. A clean pair the next day loses any streaks. Come playoff time...would you want any other talent pool in MLB?

Tell this to Astros' fans with Brad Lidge or Mets' fans in 2015...heck, Jansen suddenly falling apart (and it already happened for a stretch this season) is the single biggest threat to the Dodgers, that and likely being in a one and done wild card game when anything can happen.

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Bullpens are like underwear. A clean pair the next day loses any streaks. Come playoff time...would you want any other talent pool in MLB?

Well right now the Rays bullpen has an ERA of 3 and the White Sox’s pen has an ERa of 4. So yeah the white Sox have talent, but the Rays pen has been as good as anyone in baseball.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Stop acting like he’s some average closer, he was legit the best reliever in baseball when we acquired him and he has a HoF track record.  No one gives a shit that he had a bad 1 1/2 year stretch, he’d get paid based on his projected future value.  It’s very apparent you didn’t like the trade from a conceptual standpoint and are using any bad appearance by him to try to prove your point.  You are better than this Ray.  The dude would have gotten paid a lot more than 1/$16M this offseason if he were a free agent and it’s not even a debate.

• David Price. LAD. RP 35 $32,000,000.
  • Kenley Jansen. LAD. RP/CL 33 $20,000,000.
  • Aroldis Chapman. NYY. RP/CL 33 $17,200,000.
  • Craig Kimbrel. CHW. RP/CL 33 $16,000,000.
  • Fire 1