Suzuki to Cubs/5 years

Kyyle23

My hope is that he’s closer to a young Hideki Matsui as opposed to Kosuke. This is the first thing I’ve been excited about Cub wise since we signed Yu Darvish. I’ve been following Japanese baseball avidly since Kosuke and have even been to two Japanese World Series. 

Conforto is probably a better player and the draft pick compensation isn’t a concern for a team in their window like the Sox. Conforto makes much more sense and I’m hoping the Sox get him and trade for Castillo

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fair enough, blame my memory here.

His first three years with the Cubs, 5 fWAR over around 430ish games, roughly 1.9 per season…essentially 2.

His original contract was 4/$48, so if you value FA fWAR at 1 unit being worth roughly $7.5-8.0 million, it was at least a fair deal for the Cubs until his final season there when age started to catch up with him.

Melky Cabrera had a similar contract in terms of overall value and only ended up contributing around 2.3 fWAR total to the Sox after a 3.9, 4.5 and 3.1 along with one slightly negative year in the four preceding his Sox deal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I was pretty close!

Obviously a ton of risk with a signing like this, but this is the safest Japanese hitter to come over since Matsui. Hard to hate the idea of taking a similar gamble that we took on Abreu.

Maybe, call me crazy, having an example of a player who just doesn’t make fundamental mistakes (especially in the outfield) would have been a positive influence on his teammates.  Madrigal was supposed to provide this, but it never materialized, as he probably turned off more of his teammates.

I never wanted him on the RH-heavy Sox, even assuming errantly that the FO was in that market. (Assuming 85 mil) I think in the end the contract is a slight overpay to spot on, but never a discount. His ZiPS numbers seem to fit the player I see. Ohtani is by far the most aesthetically MLB hitter to come out of Japan. Suzuki I think would need to kill it defensively and be particularly healthy, and then he'd be a great asset.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Padres fans on reddit are straight up not having a good time right now.

Padres Reddit sounds like a bad milieu in general

Edited by KBX

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just got a MLB notice that says 5/$85M…is that true?

45 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And with the posting fee, it will cost them $100M for 5 years. That's a helluva commitment from them. 🤷

Ok that’s definitely a bit higher than 5/70. I guess I wasn’t all that close, haha. 

6 minutes ago, KBX said:

Padres Reddit sounds like a bad milieu in general

I mean, after their season...they just missed Suzuki, have two albatrosses that they'll need to attach prospects to unload, and their franchise star broke his wrist (on top of a chronic shoulder injury) riding motorcycles and he doesn't seem to take it seriously.

They make Soxtalk look like the Rick Hahn Fan Club.