Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

36 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The Sox are not trading Gavin Sheets.

They have no one who can come close to replacing his production against right handed pitchers.  To trade him would create a hole in the lineup.  Plus, he's cheap and under control.  

Vaughn?  Second worst hitter on the team against righties last year.  I'm sure he will improve, but so will Sheets.

Sox need more power hitting lefties, not fewer ones.  

I agree Sox need more lefties. But Vaughn is an elite offense talent. Sheets very well could just be a guy. It’s Sheets that has no where to play right now, not Vaughn. 

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I am not even sure if Manaea would be in this playoff rotation. If Kopech is still pitching in October (fingers crossed) and Cease takes another slight step forward (I think he will), Manaea is our 5 starter in October. I’d certainly take him, but the price has to be right. Winning a bidding war for a guy that maybe makes us win the division by 10-12 games instead of 8-10 games isn’t worth ravaging our already very thin farm. Sheets straight up is probably the most id give, but I’d certain prefer to keep Sheets. Still prefer something like Kelly/Dalquist/Thompson + Adolfo + backend top 20 type. 

You’re assuming everyone is healthy come October and it’s very possible someone is hurt or Kopech has simply run out of juice.  Either way, it’s very apparent that relying on Kopech & Keuchel to fill out 2/5 of our rotation this year is incredibly risky.  We need another horse and it appears the organization feels this way.  I don’t want to pay a ridiculous price for Manaea, but I also don’t bad luck with the rotation to derail our season.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re assuming everyone is healthy come October and it’s very possible someone is hurt or Kopech has simply run out of juice.  Either way, it’s very apparent that relying on Kopech & Keuchel to fill out 2/5 of our rotation this year is incredibly risky.  We need another horse and it appears the organization feels this way.  I don’t want to pay a ridiculous price for Manaea, but I also don’t bad luck with the rotation to derail our season.

I think that’s all fair. Not against adding Manaea at all. Just not at any cost. There are definitely a handful of names even in our weak system I’m not moving for a max of ~ 30 Manaea starts. 

58 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Inside info?

Nope, just feels like too much smoke and given we’re less than a week away from Opening Day we’re quickly approaching a boiling point.  And with Kimbrel moved and $5M in cash now available, I think Hahn gets a bit more aggressive with his offers.

55 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The Sox are not trading Gavin Sheets.

They have no one who can come close to replacing his production against right handed pitchers.  To trade him would create a hole in the lineup.  Plus, he's cheap and under control.  

Vaughn?  Second worst hitter on the team against righties last year.  I'm sure he will improve, but so will Sheets.

Sox need more power hitting lefties, not fewer ones.  

I’d love to keep Sheets, but with Pollock in the fold Gavin is going to get squeezed for at-bats as there is zero chance they go with a straight Sheets-Vaughn DH platoon. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d love to keep Sheets, but with Pollock in the fold Gavin is going to get squeezed for at-bats as there is zero chance they go with a straight Sheets-Vaughn DH platoon. 

Against the better RHP at least, Sheets needs to be in the lineup. There's just not enough other pop from the left side. Vaughn can spell Eloy or Jose on some of those days.

Edited by CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Against the better RHP at least, Sheets needs to be in the lineup. There's just not enough other pop from the left side. Vaughn can spell Eloy or Jose on some of those days.

Sure, but if Sheets is the cost to upgrade from Keuchel to Manaea then I don’t think we have a choice.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like Vaughn++ for Manaea is a possibility:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Phil Rogers is astoundingly bad at assessing baseball. Yeesh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Phil is still trying to get Curtis Granderson.

I will absolutely lose my mind if this happens. Sox can’t possibly be that dumb. Right!?!?

that being said, Phil Rogers doesn’t know Jack shit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No chance, let’s not be ridiculous about this. I wouldn’t give up Vaughn for him let alone Vaughn plus others

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero chance it happens…just mind boggling that Phil Rogers still gets paid to cover baseball.

Yeah that’s just crazy. I don’t know if the Sox would trade Vaughn for Montas let alone Manaea 

Do we really need a horse 30 starts though?  I mean I’d love to get Keuchel out of the rotation before the season starts, but aren’t the Sox more likely to let him fail all April/May to pretend they honored their contract to a veteran blah blah?

So if trade for Manaea now, are we going 6 man for a couple months until Dallas implodes himself out?

Edited by Jerksticks

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Do we really need a horse 30 starts though?  I mean I’d love to get Keuchel out of the rotation before the season starts, but aren’t the Sox more likely to let him fail all April/May to pretend they honored their contract to a veteran blah blah?

So if trade for Manaea now, are we going 6 man for a couple months until Dallas implodes himself out?

Kopech is a glorified opener right now 

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic