Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just feels unnecessary. Sheets + Kath/Ramos + one of the HS pitchers is a big ask for 30 starts. 

Unless they feel they can trade and sign Manaea to a contract extension but they can just sign him next offseason.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

I was never a huge fan of the Madrigal pick because I like upside, however, here are some ways that the situation is similar:

Madrigal was the 4th pick in the draft.  Vaughn was the 3rd pick.

Madrigal came up, was somewhat disappointing, but then showed flashes of offensive potential, especially in the last month before he was hurt.  Vaughn came up, struggled (especially against RH sliders, then showed flashes of offensive potential before getting hurt/wearing down in the last two months.  And like Madrigal, Vaughn is currently injured even if it's not severe.

Madrigal and Vaughn both hit RH, so are somewhat replaceable given the Sox have other RH options. (Perhaps they believe that Burger could be a pretty good 1b/DH option down the road)

This is the exact same front office, and they seem to value the now in extraordinary ways. Just look at all the 30+ players they've added in the last couple of years.

I think this would be a moronic thing to do, but given their track record of trading Semien/Bassitt for Samardzija, Tatis for Shields, and Madrigal/Heuer for Kimbrel, I just don't see how you can 100% rule out them doing something this stupid again.

Are they valuing the now because they think they are in a window to win now with these last couple of picks?

We know they are up against the luxury and would thus need to have more, cheaper players.

Trading Vaughn for Manaea makes this offseason ever weirder. That's an all-in move, and definitely does not fit with the rest of the offseason. 

If I were the Sox I'd probably try to build something around  Jose Rodriguez + Kelley/Thompson/Dalquist. Anything beyond that isn't worth it for a rental for me. I'm not moving Kath, Montgomery, Vera unless we are talking legit ace.

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Unless they feel they can trade and sign Manaea to a contract extension but they can just sign him next offseason.

I would have rather just sign a backend SP than give up that kind of package for Manaea. I think if Sox we’re willing to give that package, he’d be in Sox camp already. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would have rather just sign a backend SP than give up that kind of package for Manaea. I think if Sox we’re willing to give that package, he’d be in Sox camp already. 

I believe Cueto is still out there for cheap

Man, I really wanted Justin Upton when he was a free agent, I was always a fan of his, but that contract turned out to be really ugly. He had one great year. Another horrific contract by the Angels*.

* I know that the Tigers signed him and traded him a year later.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lol, no. Vaughn has a ceiling. Madrigal has a Booster seat.

Madrigal’s ceiling is high AF.  A dude challenging for a .400 BA with an OBP over .400 annually while never striking out would be a ridiculous player.  

His floor is a totally valueless booster seat swinging a wet newspaper.  

• Haha 1

• Quin locked this topic