Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe he was quite bad with inherited runners.

He had issues (I think) in multiple games fielding bunts and other weak contact around the mound. I remember one game in April specifically where the Royals really exploited his inability to field at all.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely wouldn’t trade Vaughn for two years of Montas.  And wouldn’t like trading Sheets & Crochet for him either as it opens up two holes on the major league roster.

I’d be willing to send crochet out but not Vaughn. The velocity that dropped from his fastball has made him just another arm in a bullpen. Cant believe I would say this just a year ago

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

6 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’d be willing to send crochet out but not Vaughn. The velocity that dropped from his fastball has made him just another arm in a bullpen. Cant believe I would say this just a year ago

The obvious response then is you’re not getting Montas.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Classic Caulfield.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gross. I’d rather just hang onto Crochet  and sign someone like Pineda.

"Doesn't he have a PEDs violation in his past?  Seems like bad mojo after how Colome fell apart going Sox to Twins last year."   

This is precisely what I wrote...you can laugh about my sarcastically suggesting bringing someone like Pineda or Simmons (past tense now) over from the Twins, and that having nothing to do with Colome, but my own response had absolutely nothing to with Montas.

SO WHERE DID I BRING UP MONTAS?  Reading comprehension is a skill...

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Made me remember that Billy will certainly be signing with the Sox at some point this season

Honestly, that new rule in indie ball or wherever it is that allows for an attempt to advance to 1B on any passed ball (ie dropped 3rd strike on any pitch), means that Billy will have use for more teams if it's ever adopted in the majors.

44 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Always seemed to bite them in the ass.  The runner was quickly on 3rd in my memory. 

If I remember correctly, Crochet lost a couple of those games simply by giving up 2 softly hit rollers in a row to give up a run.

Edited by wegner

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

If I remember correctly, Crochet lost a couple of those games simply by giving up 2 softly hit rollers in a row to give up a run.

That sounds like Bummer's season in a nutshell, too.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2022-03-16/kenley-jansen-dodgers-closer-free-agent-other-options

Dodgers still open to bringing Jansen back, less likely after Freeman signing...claim they're willing to go closer by committee with Treinen, Graterol, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

Crochet definitely blew a few games in the 10th and we all screamed at TLR for setting him up to fail.  But their general lack of defensive fundamentals and inability to control the run game led to seemingly every ghost runner quickly advancing to 3rd.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rey21 said:

You guys really wouldn’t trade Sheets and Crochet for Montas?

Montas was a throw in on some other trade we lost years ago. It seems kind of shitty to then trade for him and have potentially the same thing happen. Irrational I know, but what can I say other than trading with Oakland scares me.

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

Montas was a throw in on some other trade we lost years ago. It seems kind of shitty to then trade for him and have potentially the same thing happen. Irrational I know, but what can I say other than trading with Oakland scares me.

Montas was the centerpiece of the Todd Frazier trade and was 54th overall prospect per Baseball America.  He was no throw-in and we never traded him to OAK.

6 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The obvious response to that is that if the price is an Andrew Vaughn level return, Montas will be pitching in Oakland this season.

There’s a big difference between Vaughn + Crochet and Sheets + Crochet that other teams could fit into.

15 hours ago, VAfan said:

Because he's worlds better as a hitter against right handers at the moment.  

Sheets against righties - 143 wRC+.  160 PA.  Second best on the Sox, behind only Grandal.  

Vaughn against righties - 68 wRC+.  328 PA. 

Anyone who picked the second option over the first would be dumb.  Vaughn might/should get better, but he's not there yet.  And when he does, it doesn't mean you have to bench Sheets.  It really comes down to whether you play Vaughn or Engel against some right handers.  Engel has the better defense, so Vaughn has to outhit Engel too.  And last year, he didn't.  

Engel against righties in 2021 - 154 wRC+.  Granted, this was only 91 PAs. 

Vaughn may have hit a HR in today's game.  That's great.  But he's going to have to earn his PAs against right handers over time. 

Vaughn just wasn't ready to play a full season. He was essentially still  a college player because of circumstances beyond his control. Sheets had the advantage with his experience of coming up through the minors, working on his game and when he arrived he took full advantage of that experience and the chance to hit against a lot of RHP. I thought it was great the way he stepped up. If you like Vaughn you don't have to be anti  Sheets and if you like Sheets you don't have to be anti Vaughn.

They both honestly have a shot at 30 HR's this year if the Sox can find the playing time for both of them. Vaughn has the pedigree and seems likely to be the one to take a massive leap forward. Him stepping up would be huge.

If Sheets just does what he did last year over a full season he hits 30 HR's this year. Sheets doesn't have the pedigree so he has more doubters . Him stepping up and filling that LH power void would be huge.

We all know the what the problem was last year. Lack of power because of injuries. This could be a very powerful team if they can all stay on the field . Robert, Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets all need 550+ plate appearances. Vaughn and Sheets both appear to know the strike zone well while Eloy and Robert are both not as choosy with what they swing at. They all need to stay on the field and mature to offset any decline from guys like Abreu and Grandal.

Find spots for the young guys to play. Rest Abreu and Grandal more and don't let them play DH. Keep them as fresh as possible. DH should be Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets primarily and not necessarily in that order. Vaughn and Sheets should get some 1st base time too. Vaughn should get some LF time. RF playing time for both Vaughn and Sheets is up to the coaches if they see some improvements or if the lack of a true RF is not forthcoming.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Vaughn just wasn't ready to play a full season. 

While this could be the case I'll say it isn't likely.  The only thing different for Vaughn was possibly the travel.  These kids play 100 - 150 games a year from the time they are 12 now.  And on days they aren't playing they are taking hundreds of swings and pumping iron.  I've felt that 162 grind as an excuse is highly overrated.  Unless a guy doesn't fly well I don't really buy it anymore.  

• Quin locked this topic