TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Yeah, I just read the Phillies subreddit and they all seem to think Girardi checked out and didn't give a shit. 

Girardi doesn't have the benefit of his bullpen being good though. I'm sure if our bullpen was as bad as the Phillies', we'd be 10+ games under .500 at this point. 

Guess which team has the worse bullpen ERA.

43 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't see any difference between losing in the ALDS and missing the playoffs. In fact, losing in the ALDS is worse than missing the playoffs all together. 

Cool. Then winning and losing during the season doesn't matter and you can no longer complain about their record. Good to know.

Edited by RibbieRubarb
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't see any difference between losing in the ALDS and missing the playoffs. In fact, losing in the ALDS is worse than missing the playoffs all together. 

Ok

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't see any difference between losing in the ALDS and the World Series. In fact, losing in the World Series is worse than losing in the ALDS because it gives you even more false hope.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Amazing some might feel this way.  At least if you make the postseason, you have fun moments along the way.  This year has been anything but fun.

Look, last year sucked the way it ended, but there is nothing like playoff baseball.  Even if it isn't fleeting, it is sure as hell better than speculating on what he will do with the 15th pick in the draft.

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

Amazing some might feel this way.  At least if you make the postseason, you have fun moments along the way.  This year has been anything but fun.

I'm certainly not satisfied losing in the ALDS but ffs I would take getting there over being where the Phillies were, with  MVP level Harper 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look, last year sucked the way it ended, but there is nothing like playoff baseball.  Even if it isn't fleeting, it is sure as hell better than speculating on what he will do with the 15th pick in the draft.

Making the playoffs is always better than sitting things out in October. But the Sox record in the post season other than in 2005, is 6-18 and they have lost every series. And losing 10-1 in an elimination game truly sucks. And losing in an elimination game because you can't score one run in the regulation nine innings sucks, too. If the Sox do make the post-season this year, I hope we don't experience shit like this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Highland said:

Making the playoffs is always better than sitting things out in October. But the Sox record in the post season other than in 2005, is 6-18 and they have lost every series. And losing 10-1 in an elimination game truly sucks. And losing in an elimination game because you can't score one run in the regulation nine innings sucks, too. If the Sox do make the post-season this year, I hope we don't experience shit like this.

I mean it is really obvious that it sucks to lose your last game of the season.  But it sucks more to not get a chance to.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean it is really obvious that it sucks to lose your last game of the season.  But it sucks more to not get a chance to.

Is it better to have loved and lost then never loved at all? I'm sure we here at Soxtalk can answer this question once and for all.

11 minutes ago, Highland said:

Within the context of a single season, yes, but if making the playoffs carries a < 10% chance of getting to the World Series, not making the playoffs at all might prompt the team to make the needed wholesale changes that greatly increase the odds for the following season, whereas making the playoffs my not do that (see 2021-22 offseason for reference).

Edited by CentralChamps21

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox could go 125-37 and Jack would be just as miserable about the team as he would be if they went 37-125.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Within the context of a single season, yes, but if making the playoffs carries a < 10% chance of getting to the World Series, not making the playoffs at all might prompt the team to make the needed wholesale changes that greatly increase the odds for the following season, whereas making the playoffs my not do that (see 2021-22 offseason for reference).

If you are really talking odds, I don't think the odds are any different for TLR keeping his job if the Sox are a playoff team this year versus if they aren't.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are really talking odds, I don't think the odds are any different for TLR keeping his job if the Sox are a playoff team this year versus if they aren't.

Well that's unfortunate, but even so, I think management makes more significant player moves if the Sox aren't a playoff team this year vs if they are.

We all saw glaring holes in left-handed hitting and the #5 starter, but management saw a team that "just missed" advancing to the ALCS and didn't feel upgrades were needed. I fear an 88 win division champ that gets bounced in the Wild Card round causes the same line of thinking.

52 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Honestly...I do not see any scenario where JR lets Hahn fire LaRussa mid-season.

However...a "retirement for personal reasons" mid-season is more plausible.

A “move to the front office for health - related reasons” is the best case scenario. A manager in emeritus.  

• Like 1