4/8/11 - Sox vs. Rays - 7:10 (WCIU)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
We need to go closer by committee. Period.

Santos, Matt, Crain, Sale.

I hate lefty closers (and yes I know there has been a good one or two).

That doesn't work. You need to pick one guy so everyone knows their role, but I'd move away from Thornton. He was awesome and comforable working the 8th. He's been hittable his 3 appearances this season. Pick someone else for the 9th. If they can't get it done, try someone else, but the experiments need to be short.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
It's really not. He still used to throw the slider to try and steal a strike or keep the hitter honest. Thornton's fastball is 2-3 mph slow right now, and he's too down in the zone with it.

He cant throw anything other than the fastball for strikes from what I've seen.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
I'd like to say I told you so to everyone but... I'd feel too bad seeing as it's taking us probably losing a heartbreaker for people to start saying it.

There is a significant portion of this site that knew what would happen.

He will get another shot because of the defense but he doesn't deserve it.

Way to kill my Chicago sports buzz.

That's about as brutal of a non-Twins loss as I can recall the past few years. Not good to lose this with Humber going tomorrow and facing some All Star pitchers next week in Cahill, Haren and Weaver.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
I was calling for Sale too, but I can't even get mad about this one on Matt. He has looked like crap so far though I'll agree with, but it's still early on the season. I don't even think he's hit 96+ once yet either that I can recall.

Nah I've seen him hit 97 a few times but my god, he's been awful..

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
It's really not. He still used to throw the slider to try and steal a strike or keep the hitter honest. Thornton's fastball is 2-3 mph slow right now, and he's too down in the zone with it.

thanks i thought he had a decent slider in the past but i did not want to look foolish.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
Every team in Chicago has won tongiht. Lets go boys keep this trend going!

Nevermind.

lol, I thought you were on a 17 minutes delay or something

Really good teams hold late leads and also have the confidence to rally late in games.

Our offense definitely has that ability, the defensive letdown was kind of flukey, but you just have to wonder how this bullpen can come together.

Is Thornton's FB slow because of the weather and cold or is there something more serious going on?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
That's about as brutal of a non-Twins loss as I can recall the past few years. Not good to lose this with Humber going tomorrow and facing some All Star pitchers next week in Cahill, Haren and Weaver.

Especially against a team as downtrodden as the Rays.

Some hate hawk, but he just said it all. It was giftwrapped and given to the Rays as a present.

Sloppy bulls*** by our boys.

I will not blame Matt, but I would be very happy if as a closer he'd start striking some people out.

This is on Lexi and Juan mostly. And I guess Paulie coulda made one of his patented digs at first, but that one really bounced badly.

f*** f*** f***.

HORRIBLE LOSS.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
lol, I thought you were on a 17 minutes delay or something

Ya my T.V. was off after the 8th cause I thought we had this one in the bag. Then I came on here and saw we gave up 5 runs so I had to watch it online which is a few minutes of straight gay delay.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
Did we seriously commit two errors with two outs? I don't know how you can blame this on Thornton when that happens.

No, the throwing error on Alexei was with only out out. Actually, both errors were with one out.

Really, 2 errors and 2 bloops in the 9th and now we're just done with Matt? And yes I know he gave up a bomb to Johnson but the inning should have been over already. Yeesh.

Anyways, this one hurts. Having 2 of your better defenders make errors in the 9th to lose a game is quite painful.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
There is a significant portion of this site that knew what would happen.

He will get another shot because of the defense but he doesn't deserve it.

Way to kill my Chicago sports buzz.

Expect it to be killed a lot more before the season's over.

Danks is not an ace and Thorthon is not a closer.

You just can't stand out there and throw fastballs.

He's needs at least two more pitches.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
thanks i thought he had a decent slider in the past but i did not want to look foolish.

He does have a slider. It's not very good though, and he hardly ever uses it. He only threw it 6.8% of the time last year.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
Expect it to be killed a lot more before the season's over.

Danks is not an ace and Thorthon is not a closer.

You just can't stand out there and throw fastballs.

He's needs at least two more pitches.

Danks is fine. Jesus it's one start.