Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

I don't think other GMs are thinking about Nats/Eaton trade. They see 3-4 other teams that make sense and have the pieces, and all of them would like to acquire Q while using as few of those pieces as possible. We will get a good deal for Q, and we will also get a deal that is almost certainly less than we are imagining.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
there is no scenario where this is true. The teams trading for Q want to make the playoffs. Sale is better than Q. sale has a better chance of getting the team to the playoffs and WS. The Sox will not get the same talent in return for Q that they did for Sale.

I agree. We can talk about WAR and rationalize the value of an additional year of control, but there remains the "wow" factor that Sale has and Q doesn't. The return on Q will be good - plenty good - but it it won't match Sale's.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
there is no scenario where this is true. The teams trading for Q want to make the playoffs. Sale is better than Q. sale has a better chance of getting the team to the playoffs and WS. The Sox will not get the same talent in return for Q that they did for Sale.

Looking at the month of September over the last two seasons, in '16 ERA 4.35 , in '15 ERA 4.34. Sale has been fading down the stretch which doesn't bode well heading into the playoffs. This is one of the reasons I had preferred to keep Q over Sale. I don't mean to kick anyone's puppy but if Sale continues fading in September, he may end up pitching more like David Price in the playoffs.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)
Looking at the month of September over the last two seasons, in '16 ERA 4.35 , in '15 ERA 4.34. Sale has been fading down the stretch which doesn't bode well heading into the playoffs. This is one of the reasons I had preferred to keep Q over Sale. I don't mean to kick anyone's puppy but if Sale continues fading in September, he may end up pitching more like David Price in the playoffs.

That's true. however, he still has a better chance of getting the team there. It could be he just interest. Who knows maybe he would could turn it on in the playoffs. The White Sox never gave him the chance.

Can you imagine the Red Sox fans if they make it to the playoffs but both Price and sale fall apart? I might pay to watch the fans explode.

Edited by ptatc

My guess is the Pirates "working hard" is working on a three team deal where they trade McCutchen and most of that package goes to the Sox for Q. Unfortunately for them, I don't know if McCutchen can acquire enough trade pieces to really move the needle for the Sox without adding significant pieces of their own. I don't even know if McCutchen could get that "headliner" to take Meadows' place in a hypothetical deal. It's kind of too bad that he didn't have a better season, he'd assuredly be a hotter commodity and maybe this trade would have happened. And that's where we are now: trade to the Pirates is a longshot because of these issues.

They'd be better served trying to deal McCutchen midseason unless they're contending. There's a great chance he will rebuild value and with that the Pirates can probably get a better deal for him. I just don't see the Sox accepting a deal like that for Quintana, and that's why they're probably a longshot.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)

It's possible that with better managing, more run support, and better bullpen help, Sale will be fresher next Sept and October. We'll have to wait and see. He'll probably have more adrenaline in postseason Boston than he had in September Chicago.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
I think Houston plays the wait and see game for the first half of the year before deciding to add an arm.

If I were the Sox, I would tell these GMs that if they wait until the deadline, the price is going to be even higher. We're not bearing the risk of injury so they can play wait and see.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
If I were the Sox, I would tell these GMs that if they wait until the deadline, the price is going to be even higher. We're not bearing the risk of injury so they can play wait and see.

People keep talking like there is no risk in keeping Quintana until mid-season or next offseason but I disagree because of your point of injury. Also have to wonder if a "tanking team" like the Sox will have a negative affect on him.

Quintana's value will likely never be higher with his 4 years of control & him being a top 8 pitcher over the last 3 years. If I'm Hahn, I let this drag out until around February but there's got to be some sort of urgency on the Sox's part to move him as well. Hahn can say they have no rush to move him but there are many negative outcomes that could come out of holding him & waiting until the deadline.

If I'm to understand the timeline of the Sale trade correctly, the times we were hearing that the Nats were being aggressive and the hardest pursuers was actually when Nats were just trying to match Bostons top two. Sox appeared to be putting pressure on Sox to include devers but then decided basabe and Diaz made Boston deal better than Nats could offer.

So possible that others still trying to match a Houston/Yankees offer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
If I'm to understand the timeline of the Sale trade correctly, the times we were hearing that the Nats were being aggressive and the hardest pursuers was actually when Nats were just trying to match Bostons top two. Sox appeared to be putting pressure on Sox to include devers but then decided basabe and Diaz made Boston deal better than Nats could offer.

So possible that others still trying to match a Houston/Yankees offer.

There's been multiple reports that the Yankees never got past the "Oh you want Frazier or Torres?" stage.

If there are two teams bidding against each other, I would guess it's between Houston & Pittsburgh.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
There's been multiple reports that the Yankees never got past the "Oh you want Frazier or Torres?" stage.

If there are two teams bidding against each other, I would guess it's between Houston & Pittsburgh.

And the Red Sox were set with their rotation.

It might be this thread or how Astros fans claimed they wouldn't want to give up a top 50 prospect for an alledged borderline #2 starter but I don't want to deal with Houston anymore. I hope they get shelled in the divisional series and that their top prospects bust. Reading their fan reactions and that Dave Cameron article completely turned me off.

Pirates all the way baby.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
It might be this thread or how Astros fans claimed they wouldn't want to give up a top 50 prospect for an alledged borderline #2 starter but I don't want to deal with Houston anymore. I hope they get shelled in the divisional series and that their top prospects bust. Reading their fan reactions and that Dave Cameron article completely turned me off.

Pirates all the way baby.

For sure. Q is easily worth Bregman plus. Adding Frazier makes sense to fill their hole so they can try to win the WS this year. Gotta fill everybody's hole to make em happy. Filled hole, fulfilled man.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
That's true. however, he still has a better chance of getting the team there. It could be he just interest. Who knows maybe he would could turn it on in the playoffs. The White Sox never gave him the chance.

Can you imagine the Red Sox fans if they make it to the playoffs but both Price and sale fall apart? I might pay to watch the fans explode.

Thats one aspect i had not thought of is what Sale does for the team in his regular season starts. When he gets on a streak, he's just filthy. Might even benefit moving to the ALE because ALC teams were having more success against him.

I really do wish Sale the best but those Boston fans will go bananas if he pitches like Price in the playoffs. Red Sox message boards will read like an angry comic strip. Most used word will be "FAWK".

To go along with the reports that Moncada was untouchable.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-ge...es/201612210195

I know front offices pretend to not listen to this kind of talk, but there is exasperation in Pittsburgh over always coming in second in these player derbys. A lot of their fans are sick of having a great group of prospects but an average-to-good MLB squad that seems to constantly suffer because the pricetags (whether it be money or prospects) are never met by the Pirates to bring in outside help. It explains why some fans have thrown out truly ludicrous proposals like "Meadows, Bell +" or, really anything including more than 1 of the Glasnow, Meadows, Bell group. They want to make a splash for once and really go for the throat in division rather than constantly punting away season after season because things aren't exactly right.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 07:17 PM)

To be fair Caulfield was responding to a post of mine where I said , "Meadows has to be the headliner. Not only that but I was thinking Q could require a bigger haul than Sale since he has 1 more year and is cheaper than Sale. Plus the Sale trade had the #1 prospect in baseball who cost the Red Sox around $64M which maybe Hahn took into consideration as far as valuations go."

Throw in the fact that Pittsburgh as a small market team cannot compete with the free agent money and you kind of have them bent over the proverbial negotiation table . But still it's mostly the extra year of control and the cheaper contract.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)

I have been thinking the same thing. Thanks for saying it.