Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
I agree Pirates are most likely out of the Q-stakes. Would have been nice if Q got a start this series in NY since I think he will come back big in his next start after the Minny stinker.

Yeah the Marte suspension makes Meadows even more vital, as well as the position players behind him.

Jason Vargas is off to a pretty amazing start, but doubt that holds up...

Duffy has a 1.38 ERA at the moment as well. That said, as some have commented, the odds of Duffy staying in the fold have increased dramatically with his new contract. The Royals are kind of stuck in the middle, with big deals for Kennedy, Gordon, Soria, Salvy Perez, etc., on the books when for a long time it looked like they would completely rebuild.

Not sure it wouldn't have been better to deal Perez at peak value before he started wearing down, but teams that have won a World Series tend to hold onto those players (see Jose Contreras) a lot longer out of sentimental value to the fans. And of course Perez is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best catcher in baseball (overall) depending on your feelings about Mr. Sanchez.

still think at the end of the day...the Cubs make the most sense...for both teams. Their rotation is pretty meh besides Lester and Arrieta...and Hendricks looks rather pedestrian this year IMO. They can't keep trotting out Lackey out there. And honestly...would the Cubs back themselves into a corner or forced to give Arrieta a big contract?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
As a few on here predicted, Franklin Perez is blowing up for Astros. Tucker off to huge start also

I don't want to be the guy that reminds everyone that he called for the Sox to demand Perez in any trade involving Q with the Astros as far back as the Winter Meetings. I'd hate to be that guy.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
still think at the end of the day...the Cubs make the most sense...for both teams. Their rotation is pretty meh besides Lester and Arrieta...and Hendricks looks rather pedestrian this year IMO. They can't keep trotting out Lackey out there. And honestly...would the Cubs back themselves into a corner or forced to give Arrieta a big contract?

If I'm the Cubs, I'm probably more interested in Gonzalez or Holland at this point. And they'd come much cheaper.

I don't even know how Quintana could be traded right now. The Sox aren't going to lower their demands based on a 3 week slump, yet no team will pay huge for a starter that is 0-4 with an ERA over 6. We're just going to have to wait it out until Q normalizes and then see where things are at.

QUOTE (Soha @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
If I'm the Cubs, I'm probably more interested in Gonzalez or Holland at this point. And they'd come much cheaper.

I don't even know how Quintana could be traded right now. The Sox aren't going to lower their demands based on a 3 week slump, yet no team will pay huge for a starter that is 0-4 with an ERA over 6. We're just going to have to wait it out until Q normalizes and then see where things are at.

The problem is it's now 2-7 and a 6ish ERA going back to his last 10 starts (September 1st, 2016).

So it's not only the first four this year, but it's a longer worrisome trend (mostly against AL Central teams not named CLE). His velocity (would have to check fangraphs) seems off a bit as well, as he does get into the customary 92-93 mph range but I've also seen a number of 89's and 90's, too. Not sure how much of this was caused by the interruption in his schedule by the WBC, dead arm period, etc.

Location/command is the bigger issue than velocity, of course, but they're interrelated.

Edited by caulfield12

Guys, It is going to be incredibly hard for Q to get his ERA below 4 this season, even if he's typical Q for most of the rest of the year. When you go through your first 4 starts with an ERA approaching 7 it is not easy to recover this season. We might be holding on to him until trade deadline 2018. Just be prepared at this point for him to start 2018 on the Sox.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Guys, It is going to be incredibly hard for Q to get his ERA below 4 this season, even if he's typical Q for most of the rest of the year. When you go through your first 4 starts with an ERA approaching 7 it is not easy to recover this season. We might be holding on to him until trade deadline 2018. Just be prepared at this point for him to start 2018 on the Sox.

I am not a math guy but I dont believe this is accurate.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)

He has very little margin for error. Let's say Q averages 6 IP the rest of the season * 29 starts = 174 innings. He has 23.1 IP now with 16 ER. This is 197.1 IP on the season. Under 4.00 ERA in 197.1 IP= 87ER on the season. Just to get to under 4 ERA he has 71 ER left on the season, which means that he would have to give up an average of 2.44 ER/start.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)

To make the math easier and articulate the math - let's use this example... If he makes 28 more starts, 180 innings with a 3.00 ERA - take his current 4 starts, 23 innings, and 6.17 ERA... you get:

-------

15.76 runs

-------

60 runs

Total runs = 75.76

Total innings = 203

His season total ERA would be 3.36

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)

Not really. If he goes 8 scoreless next outing he is already down to 4.60. Q has to turn in around in a big way in order to have his regular Q season, but he's had a couple stretches like this before. He'll be OK.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
Not really. If he goes 8 scoreless next outing he is already down to 4.60. Q has to turn in around in a big way in order to have his regular Q season, but he's had a couple stretches like this before. He'll be OK.

This is true, but in order for him to normalize somewhat quickly, he'd have to go 15 IP with 1 ER, which he is capable of, but idk if he could pull it off. And that just gets him to 4.00 ERA.