White Sox have "set" Luis Robert market

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 07:41 PM)
What might be the match up of Japanese Otami, who can pitch and play the field, and the Cuban phenom Robert? We only had two Japanese players that I remember and both did pretty good

If I had a choice between Otani and Robert I would take Otani without thinking twice. Dig the idea of Otani pitching every fifth game and DH'ing the four games in between.

Yeah, I don't see Robert signing here. Not with THIS ownership, & not with THIS front office. But most of all, I cant see this happening here at the prices he's rumored to command.

I'll guess that we'll get to see Robert play in St Louis for a decade.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:13 PM)
Yeah, I don't see Robert signing here. Not with THIS ownership, & not with THIS front office. But most of all, I cant see this happening here at the prices he's rumored to command.

Haven't the "rumored" prices he's going to command all come from Soxtalker's spit-balling numbers? Unless I've overlooked an article I don't recall seeing anything about a specified $ amount he's looking to command.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:13 PM)

Do the Cardinals have a history of spending big?

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

4m

They'll face good competition, but the #WhiteSox look to make a strong push for the services of Cuban Luis Robert, who is now a free agent.

Theres actually article with this from hayes.

#WhiteSox eyeing newly cleared Cuban free agent Luis Robert: https://t.co/6O7p50ie8M

(@CSNHayes) #WhiteSoxTalk https://t.co/uhT2yYIAXx

https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/855225163142623232

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ent-luis-robert

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
Do the Cardinals have a history of spending big?

Stop that. Only the White Sox have a history of not spending big money. Every other team has a payroll at least twice that of the Sox.

The precedents of outspending markets exist for Albert Belle, Joe Borchard, Viciedo and Abreu (although every MLB team wasn't looking 1B that off-season, including most of the big spenders). Dunn and Robertson would be other examples for DH's and relievers.

It does make sense with our long history with Cuban players, not to mention the presence of Abreu, Moncada and even Rodon's family background.

That said, like MOST of the time we've been excited about acquiring a player or a potential trade, will only believe it when I see it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
The precedents of outspending markets exist for Albert Belle, Joe Borchard, Viciedo and Abreu (although every MLB team wasn't looking 1B that off-season, including most of the big spenders). Dunn and Robertson would be other examples for DH's and relievers.

It does make sense with our long history with Cuban players, not to mention the presence of Abreu, Moncada and even Rodon's family background.

That said, like MOST of the time we've been excited about acquiring a player or a potential trade, will only believe it when I see it.

I recall Abreu signing during the playoffs with the Red Sox as an interested team, who were in the post-season. Would be tough to make a signing at that time.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 07:45 AM)
A better question is:

"Do the Cardinals (or Pads or Reds) have an owner who is on record as being against spending money on prospects?"

A lot of us(including myself) never thought the Sox would go into rebuilding mode and here we are. I obviously have no clue if we're going to sign him but we're going to be very much involved in this.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:24 PM)
I recall Abreu signing during the playoffs with the Red Sox as an interested team, who were in the post-season. Would be tough to make a signing at that time.

I don't recall the timing, but signing a 27 year old Jose Abreu doesn't seem to be anything like pursuing a 19/20 year old Robert. The former seems like KW's treasured policy of pursuing veterans. Any pursuit of Robert would seem to go contrary to Reinsdorf's reluctance to spend on "just prospects."

Moreover, I can't recall an example where this org beat out other MLB teams to sign a youngster where other teams were interested and involved in pursuing a youngster. Belle, Borchard, and Abreu were veteran players, unlike Robert. Borchard was a draftee. Viciedo did not gin up as much interest & competition for his services as Robert. I see no precedence in recent years from this org.

On balance, signing Robert seems incredibly unlikely to me.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
A lot of us(including myself) never thought the Sox would go into rebuilding mode and here we are. I obviously have no clue if we're going to sign him but we're going to be very much involved in this.

I hear you.

But I also hear Jerry say, "Prospects are just prospects."

I also recall a decade of refusal to go over slot in the draft (under the previous CBA.). And I also can't recall a young international FA of Robert's prominence being signed by this Front Office. There's a long history of behavioural precedence to contraindicate this type of signing as being likely.

I'd be as happy as a pig in slop if Robert were to sign here, but as a SOX fan with my eyes wide open, I'm accustomed to disappointment and stupid front office decisions. We'll see...

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
I don't recall the timing, but signing a 27 year old Jose Abreu doesn't seem to be anything like pursuing a 19/20 year old Robert. The former seems like KW's treasured policy of pursuing veterans. Any pursuit of Robert would seem to go contrary to Reinsdorf's reluctance to spend on "just prospects."

Moreover, I can't recall an example where this org beat out other MLB teams to sign a youngster where other teams were interested and involved in pursuing a youngster. Belle, Borchard, and Abreu were veteran players, unlike Robert. Borchard was a draftee. Viciedo did not gin up as much interest & competition for his services as Robert. I see no precedence in recent years from this org.

The White Sox finished 2nd on Jorge Soler and offered him in the $25 million range. He took 9/30 from the Cubs. Sox also had a monster offer for Masahiro Tanaka. I've criticized JR a fair share over the years for draft and international spending habits but this is different. If the people he trusts in his organization want this guy, he'll spend the money. I'm not really worried about that in this case.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
Stop that. Only the White Sox have a history of not spending big money. Every other team has a payroll at least twice that of the Sox.

The Sox are one of only three teams to never hand out a contract greater than $70 million.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
The White Sox finished 2nd on Jorge Soler and offered him in the $25 million range. He took 9/30 from the Cubs. Sox also had a monster offer for Masahiro Tanaka. I've criticized JR a fair share over the years for draft and international spending habits but this is different. If the people he trusts in his organization want this guy, he'll spend the money.

Ok, you realize that your two examples cited here are FAILED international signings, right?

Failing to sign Soler and failing to sign Tanaka actually makes it appear more likely that the Sox will (here's that word again) FAIL to sign Robert, based on historical precedent.

I'm not picking on you, but KW & RH coming to a press conference to tell the fans "we tried" to sign Robert seems like an extension of the failures with Soler & Tanaka.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
Ok, you realize that your two examples cited here are FAILED international signings, right?

Failing to sign Soler and failing to sign Tanaka actually makes it appear more likely that the Sox will (here's that word again) FAIL to sign Robert, based on historical precedent.

I'm not picking on you, but KW & RH coming to a press conference to tell the fans "we tried" to sign Robert seems like an extension of the failures with Soler & Tanaka.

Considering 1 out of 30 teams actually signs a player, the majority of times, most teams FAIL to sign an individual player, therefore we probably should consider Robert signing with anyone a longshot.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)

Your point was that they were cheap though. Just because they didn't land those two guys, it doesn't mean they are cheap. They want hard on both and the guys picked other destinations.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)

I do 100% agree with this. The first part of my post was more about teams not being to really sign Abreu due to the playoffs going on. I know the Red Sox were interested and had Napoli at first on an expiring contract. Would seem difficult to sign Abreu at that point in time.

Edited by soxfan2014

People keep on repeating that JR doesnt like prospects which is taken totally out of context. He hasn't liked prospects because he was always in win now mode. Most fans loved that about him at the time. He didnt want to wait on prospects and while he had this mindset many of the same people griping now are the ones that backed him then because they wanted to win now during that time too.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
Your point was that they were cheap though.

No,that isn't central to my view on this.

My view is that this organization hates to sign prospects because (in Jerry's words, not mine) "Prospects are just prospects."

Moreover, recent history indicates that this organization will inevitably fail to get the 20 year old youngster in international FA, but when it comes to landing the 30+ year old veteran who's in decline, "Kenny always gets his man."

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
People keep on repeating that JR doesnt like prospects which is taken totally out of context. He hasn't liked prospects because he was always in win now mode. Most fans loved that about him at the time. He didnt want to wait on prospects and while he had this mindset many of the same people griping now are the ones that backed him then because they wanted to win now during that time too.

With us being in rebuild mode the next several years making a very strong push to sign Robert makes a ton of sense

All sources seem to indicate that he is a top 25 overall prospect right now, and projects as a starting caliber corner outfielder (remains to be seen if he can stick in center)

Goes without saying Soxtalk wants this guy badly, at nearly any reasonable cost. Time to open the checkbook and act like a big boy club.