Moncada to stay in Charlotte a while

southsider2k5

It's less about development and more about money which I guess makes sense. By keeping him down until middle of July I think they'll save about 8-10 million.

Sure he can work on his defense but there's little if any development left to do with his bat. I can't say I'm surprised but I am disappointed.

The 30% strike out rate doesn't concern anyone? Although he is on pace to hit 30 homers, he only has 3 doubles and 1 triple, which isn't much for a guy with his speed.

I don't think that it is accurate to say that he is dominating AAA. He certainly has not done enough to suggest that he has nothing more to prove, at that level. Striking out 30% of the time, while compiling 10 extra base hits, and driving in only 11 runs, in the first 28 games, is not awe-inspiring. Considering his age, what exactly is the hurry?

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 10, 2017 -> 04:41 AM)
The 30% strike out rate doesn't concern anyone? Although he is on pace to hit 30 homers, he only has 3 doubles and 1 triple, which isn't much for a guy with his speed.

I don't think that it is accurate to say that he is dominating AAA. He certainly has not done enough to suggest that he has nothing more to prove, at that level. Striking out 30% of the time, while compiling 10 extra base hits, and driving in only 11 runs, in the first 28 games, is not awe-inspiring. Considering his age, what exactly is the hurry?

If you're evaluating a prospect by RBI's, you're doing it wrong. Agree on the K rate, there is room for improvement there.

I am glad we are taking this route though I'm anxious to see him. I have not been able to see much, but when he comes up he is going to get a steady stream of breaking pitches. He's had success in AAA feasting on first pitch fastballs (it seems), longer he is down there the more adjustments those pitchers can make and he can adjust with less pressure.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 10, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
It's listed on Fangraphs. Moncada's ISO is currently .204.

I guess I could have done that math on my own, but there you go. Another weakness from Lillian he is actually good in.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
I guess I could have done that math on my own, but there you go. Another weakness from Lillian he is actually good in.

Yes, this is partially a money driven move, but I'm not discounting the fact that Moncada is not a finished product and still needs to work on defense and reducing his strikeout %

Boston rushed him to the majors last year and the results were not good. Why short Yoan a few crucial months of minor league development before he is up at the mlb level for good?

He'll force his way to Chicago soon enough, and until then we can all wait in anticipation

I understand it's a fine line with someone like Moncada. He's pretty much dominating in AAA, and on the surface it's easy to say bring him up. But, if it's being communicated to him, and he understands, that he should be using this time down there to work on his strikeout rate and defense, he's going to be that much better when he does come up. Plus, I think we can all agree that the Sox, despite the nice start, will not be competing for the division. Bringing Moncada up now may improve the second base situation and add some life to the lineup, but it wouldn't make a big difference in the overall scheme of things.

I watched a few innings of Sunday's Knights game. Moncada looked great. It's going to be exciting when he gets the call. We're just going to have to wait a while...and we should be okay with that.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff