Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
Dude, I play on a men's baseball team with him. Went to HS with his son. He's still great. Striking out guys half his age :D

Cool. I have no idea why he's not more visible in the Sox family. Seems like such a great guy that grew up a Sox fan.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Rizzo is one stubborn SOB refusing to trade for a closer. Crazy after watching meltdown after meltdown

Would you give up Robles for one? I bet the teams with closers that would consider selling have crazy demands right now and I wouldn't be surprised if Robles is the guy they're asking for. Asks should become more realistic/fair as we get closer to the deadline and the number of sellers increases.

Having said that, I do think it would benefit both sides to get a deal sooner rather than later. This relief market could go either way and the Nationals have the pieces and need to get something done early. If I was Hahn, I'd push hard on a Roberson trade now and then give Kahnle a 30 day audition in the closer role. Could be risky but it might be the one way to convince teams he's an elite reliever despite the limited sample size (assuming all goes well).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)
Would you give up Robles for one? I bet the teams with closers that would consider selling have crazy demands right now and I wouldn't be surprised if Robles is the guy they're asking for. Asks should become more realistic/fair as we get closer to the deadline and the number of sellers increases.

Having said that, I do think it would benefit both sides to get a deal sooner rather than later. This relief market could go either way and the Nationals have the pieces and need to get something done early. If I was Hahn, I'd push hard on a Roberson trade now and then give Kahnle a 30 day audition in the closer role. Could be risky but it might be the one way to convince teams he's an elite reliever despite the limited sample size (assuming all goes well).

I don't know but I know this: the more times the Nats pen implodes, the more his back is against the wall, the more the prices go up, the more scrutiny he comes under. He will trade if only to manage career risk!

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
I don't know but I know this: the more times the Nats pen implodes, the more his back is against the wall, the more the prices go up, the more scrutiny he comes under. He will trade if only to manage career risk!

He's going to make a trade. Hell, I'm assuming he'll add at least two relievers. But it's not even July yet and he's got a 9 game lead in his division. There is really no need to overpay for a guy right now. Let's say we're asking for Soto as a headliner in a Robertson deal. Can the price realistically get higher than that between now and the deadline? Worst case scenario the market doesn't work in his favor and he gives up Soto near July 31st. Best case scenario the market gets flooded with relievers including a few closers and the price comes down quite a bit.

Now, if we were asking for what we did this past offseason and he was passing then I'd question why he wasn't addressing his bullpen. But my guess is our ask greatly increased and there aren't a lot of other teams selling at the moment.

The Nats should be ready to deal now. They not only have Robles, but also shortstop Carter Kieboom and Juan Soto.

Then again the Yankees seem like great trade partners with all of their excellent position player prospects.

Maybe a trade with the Yanks for Q and relievers plus an infielder to the Nats for a few top prospects.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Rizzo is one stubborn SOB refusing to trade for a closer. Crazy after watching meltdown after meltdown

At this point, I think it is an ownership issue. Rizzo had a deal in place for Robertson once already and it was shot down. It seems that their payroll is really tight and they don't want to give up the prospects for the Sox to eat money.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 10:46 PM)
At this point, I think it is an ownership issue. Rizzo had a deal in place for Robertson once already and it was shot down. It seems that their payroll is really tight and they don't want to give up the prospects for the Sox to eat money.

But that was in December, when the Nats were less desperate. Now, the asking price on Robertson is higher (mostly due to Washington's struggles) and the potential trade will certainly change.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 03:49 AM)
But that was in December, when the Nats were less desperate. Now, the asking price on Robertson is higher (mostly due to Washington's struggles) and the potential trade will certainly change.

Sox probably willing to cover more if it now

This makes a lot of sense.

I agree. It would appear to be an ownership thing. They didn't want to pay additional salary in December and now they don't seem to want to pay additional prospects along with some cash.

Yeah, I bet they wish they had that Wieters budget now.

The Nats might have to make a trade for a MI now like Cozart. He could hold down SS until Turner comes back and then he can be on the bench/Turner can move back to the OF.

Can see maybe a Lowrie + Madson move as one of their moves for a RP. And then pursue a Robertson deal. Probably would still have to add another arm even after those 2 moves.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
The Nats might have to make a trade for a MI now like Cozart. He could hold down SS until Turner comes back and then he can be on the bench/Turner can move back to the OF.

Can see maybe a Lowrie + Madson move as one of their moves for a RP. And then pursue a Robertson deal. Probably would still have to add another arm even after those 2 moves.

With the cushion of 9.5 games in the nl east the nats do not have to rush a move. They certainly will need to upgrade the bullpen via trade by the deadline though. Their mindset is why buy now when there might be more options in a month?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
With the cushion of 9.5 games in the nl east the nats do not have to rush a move. They certainly will need to upgrade the bullpen via trade by the deadline though. Their mindset is why buy now when there might be more options in a month?

Yep.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)

Because with the bullpen they have, that lead could be gone in a month.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)

Dusty cant take too many more 9th inning blown saves.