Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flavum @ May 27, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm not big on prospect lists, but I think Kopech should be 2. And maybe Robert could play a month of affiliated baseball before being any higher than 5. Play first, then get ranked.

Looks like they are making some other updates as we speak. Robert #3 for Sox while Giolito slides down to #4 and Kopech moves up to #2. Makes sense to me.

At least 2-3 weeks in the DSL until they take care of all the visa and tax issues.

Renteria recruiting him in Spanish to win "championships" was very important.

White Sox showed the most interest throughout the process...obviously tradition of Cuban Sox players was important as well. Really got the sense KW, JR and especially having Hector Santiago's brother and staff members to serve as interpreter/translator was really important with making him feel comfortable.

Moncada is seemingly going to stay at second...and Robert in CF. talked about setting up future of team up the middle for years to come.

Laser like focus and robust, two of Hahn's favorite terms, lol.

Will buy House for family, uncle (also important in negotiations) and himself.

Video was beautiful...really spoke to him, also had a PowerPoint presentation that Haber, Reifert worked on and front office assisted on the technical side.

Despite "Robber" being traditional Spanish pronunciation, he seems to prefer Robert.

Not sure if he will keep jersey #1 or not, as Buehrle's 56 will be retired soon (that's my own observation, lol).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
The difference is that I've learned since chisox.com/WSI to have a thicker skin and not to get a persecution/martyr complex, lol.

Everyone has their quirks, it's "just" a message board, and not life or death...it doesn't (or shouldn't) affect our sense of self-worth or families or anything really meaningful, since it's all in good fun and SHOULD be for entertainment purposes only.

For example, this year I've learned:

1) Dick Allen really isn't as bad as I thought

2) I never should have listened to Northside about Kevan Smith

3) This board is a lot more conservative/moderate than most like Rabbit tend to believe

4) As well as Rabbit writes about baseball, he's equally infuriating talking about anything non-baseball related

5) Fathom will never change, nor will Greg (both in mostly good ways!!)

6) Southsider2K5 and Witesoxfan and Heads22 remain the 3 mods "everyone would most like to have a beer with"

7) KYyle having an upper and lower case Y in his name is still annoying to the English/grammar side...but he knows more than everyone I grew up with combined about Marvel Comics

8) ElRockin is the best baseball fan in White Sox history

9) The rebuild has really lightened the mood around here and it's easier for people to get along in terms of baseball discussions, but definitely not politics...cool to see some old posters come back, too...wish Scenario hadn't disappeared, and Cubano so we could discuss Moncada/Robert/Victor Mesa Jr.

10) Balta is doing the sane thing by not overreacting to every political development like some of us since NOV 8

11) J4L is still shook up that Schwarber's legend is on the wane, but now he can annoy us with LeBron GOAT talk again (Warriors in 6, book it baby!)

You don't have just one beer with me. Physically impossible.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
At least 2-3 weeks in the DSL until they take care of all the visa and tax issues.

Renteria recruiting him in Spanish to win "championships" was very important.

White Sox showed the most interest throughout the process...obviously tradition of Cuban Sox players was important as well. Really got the sense KW, JR and especially having Hector Santiago's brother and staff members to serve as interpreter/translator was really important with making him feel comfortable.

Moncada is seemingly going to stay at second...and Robert in CF. talked about setting up future of team up the middle for years to come.

Laser like focus and robust, two of Hahn's favorite terms, lol.

Will buy House for family, uncle (also important in negotiations) and himself.

Video was beautiful...really spoke to him, also had a PowerPoint presentation that Haber, Reifert worked on and front office assisted on the technical side.

Despite "Robber" being traditional Spanish pronunciation, he seems to prefer Robert.

Not sure if he will keep jersey #1 or not, as Buehrle's 56 will be retired soon (that's my own observation, lol).

Another interesting point Hahn mentioned was when the instagram photo of Robert was changed to the one where he was wearing the White Sox hat was when the Sox felt pretty good he had chosen them.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
Has there been an explanation of the tax ruling, other than the one sentence above?

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but just looking at the raw numbers, it looks like Dominican Republic income tax is 25% and US income tax for him would be closer to 42%. Just speculating.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 28, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but just looking at the raw numbers, it looks like Dominican Republic income tax is 25% and US income tax for him would be closer to 42%. Just speculating.

What does that have to do with where he plays baseball or tiddlywinks or anything else. If they pay him over there, he probably gets taxed over there, at least to some extant.

He is a 19 year old super jock, turning 20 in August, and he hasn't played baseball all year. Or has he? At least get him down to AZ. Get him into some competitive atmosphere where he can play the game.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
What does that have to do with where he plays baseball or tiddlywinks or anything else. If they pay him over there, he probably gets taxed over there, at least to some extant.

He is a 19 year old super jock, turning 20 in August, and he hasn't played baseball all year. Or has he? At least get him down to AZ. Get him into some competitive atmosphere where he can play the game.

That is a four million dollar difference for a guy who probably won't see a million dollars in a season for something like 5 or 6 years, if everything goes right. I sure wouldn't be in the business of pissing away $4 million. And if starting him in the DR this year is what it took to sign him, kudos to Rick and company for being willing to be creative to get a deal done. Think of it this way, if another team had offered him $30 million, but wanted to start him in the US, the Sox offer of $26 million and being willing to start him in the DR actually was a bigger cash offer to Robert.

After reading about Dale Earnhardt Jr. today, the subject of PEDs by athletes came to mind. Do you suppose Robert has been tested in Cuba for PED use? Isn't a drug test for performance enhancing drugs something that would be part of the physical that the Sox gave him before they signed him? I hope so. he looks like a very nice young man and he is ripped with muscles. This guy could be a game changer for our Sox and Keith Law could end up sucking on it.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 29, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
Safe to say Robert is psyched to be a white Sox, and I don't know why but this made me laugh

https://instagram.com/p/BUqKZ_xBZwd/

The first thing I thought when I saw that is that he's a 19 year old kid enjoying a moment not some world famous superstar athlete. It looks like a graduation party spread except instead of "State College" it's a White Sox collage and cake.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 30, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
The first thing I thought when I saw that is that he's a 19 year old kid enjoying a moment not some world famous superstar athlete. It looks like a graduation party spread except instead of "State College" it's a White Sox collage and cake.

Absolutely, and that it's on the floor :)