Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Given the teams rumored to be involved for Q, it seems we'll have a shot of landing a blue chip OF prospect.

Yankees - Frazier

Astros - Tucker

Braves - Acuna

Dodgers - Verdugo

Cubs - Jimenez

So out of these five guys how would you rank them and who do you think is most likely available?

I like Acuna alot, but what made him a blue chip prospect all of a sudden? He was a backend top 100 guys a few months ago, and has no doubt been impressive in the minors this year, but is he really a top 10-15 positional talent prospect all of sudden ala Jiminez, Tucker and Frazier? I would put Verdugo in that boat as well (a very nice prospect, but not blue chip), though I'd be surprised to see the Dodgers get involved.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the Twins would ever get involved with Quintana. Obviously it is unusual to see divisional trades with major long term pieces, but the Twins would no doubt be interested in Q. They need pitching really bad. Cost control is a huge factor for them. While their farm system is not nearly as exciting as it was a couple years ago, it is still solid, and obviously have a ton of interesting young pieces on the ML squad.

I don't know if they have enough positional player talent to pull off a trade for Q without something off their major league roster, though. I would imagine the Sox would have some interest in Max Kepler, even though he isn't a huge OBP guy. Prospects like Nick Gordon (SS), Alex Kirilloff (OF) are both top 100 guys, but Kiriloff is hurt and hasn't played this year (and is also several years away). They also have some interesting LHP.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
I wonder if the Twins would ever get involved with Quintana. Obviously it is unusual to see divisional trades with major long term pieces, but the Twins would no doubt be interested in Q. They need pitching really bad. Cost control is a huge factor for them. While their farm system is not nearly as exciting as it was a couple years ago, it is still solid, and obviously have a ton of interesting young pieces on the ML squad.

I don't know if they have enough positional player talent to pull off a trade for Q without something off their major league roster, though. I would imagine the Sox would have some interest in Max Kepler, even though he isn't a huge OBP guy. Prospects like Nick Gordon (SS), Alex Kirilloff (OF) are both top 100 guys, but Kiriloff is hurt and hasn't played this year (and is also several years away). They also have some interesting LHP.

I think the Twins would fit into the same category as the Cubs in that they would have to overpay the highest bidder to convince the Sox to trade him to a rival.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Given the teams rumored to be involved for Q, it seems we'll have a shot of landing a blue chip OF prospect.

Yankees - Frazier

Astros - Tucker

Braves - Acuna

Dodgers - Verdugo

Cubs - Jimenez

So out of these five guys how would you rank them and who do you think is most likely available?

Tucker

Jimenez

Verdugo

Frazier

Acuna

I'd guess Jimenez/Tucker not available. Frazier/Verdugo most likely. Acuna I have no idea. I assume he could be.

Not only that but look at the Mets. The best pitcher they developed is now pitching for the Tigers and was throwing at 99 in his last start, Michael Fulmer. Not just developing talent, but properly assessing it.

Fwiw, Kopech's actually bit like deGrom and Syndergaard...how long can an arm like that remain healthy?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)

Yeah man, Acuna has HUGE helium. True CF with 70 run and a better bat than everyone thought.

This is my pref order:

Acuna

Jimenez

Frazier

Verdugo

Tucker

I highly doubt Acuna or Jimenez are available. I think Frazier might be simply because the Yankees actually have so much high-end OF depth in the upper minors/majors. I think Tucker, like pretty much all of the Astros prospects at the moment, is overrated.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
Yeah man, Acuna has HUGE helium. True CF with 70 run and a better bat than everyone thought.

This is my pref order:

Acuna

Jimenez

Frazier

Verdugo

Tucker

I highly doubt Acuna or Jimenez are available. I think Frazier might be simply because the Yankees actually have so much high-end OF depth in the upper minors/majors. I think Tucker, like pretty much all of the Astros prospects at the moment, is overrated.

Why do you think Tucker is overrated?

Let me preface this with I am not a scout. Here are some observations. The Yankees need an outfielder and called up a 22 year old from AAA. This outfielder has caused another highly rated prospect to be moved from center field to a corner outfield position so I am taking this to be they think the centerfielder is a better defender. The batting line for the corner outfielder is .257 .344 .478 .822. He has 12 HRs and 9 SB. 10% walk rate and 22% k rate. The line for the centerfielder is .293 .329 .542 .871. 13 HRs 13 SB. Walk rate 5% K rate 21%. Obviously this if Frazier vs Fowler. I think they may be a lot closer as prospects than people may think. Only current advantage to me is his walk rate. I looked back over previous years and Fowler's is always pretty low. Fowler is given credit for hard work on his defense and Frazier has had attitude questions. Fowler hits Lefty vs Frazier Right. I think either is a fine prospect and could be in play in a Q trade. It may be interesting when the guru's midseason ratings come out to see if the gap is narrowed. Both fit many peoples suggestions of higher level positional talent.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rival-executives-e...-153000336.html

Verlander expected to be put on trade market

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-bas...d-ranked-value/

Note comments on Top 100 trade candidates

Braves, Cubs, Blue Jays, Boston, NYY, Houston, Dodgers all in play for starting pitching.

3 Quintana

20 Robertson

50 Holland

66 Frazier

76 Cabrera

91 Shields

Others: Pelfrey, Swarzak, Kahnle, Leury Garcia, Yolmer Sanchez, Hanson (970 ops w/ Sox)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 04:41 AM)
https://sports.yahoo.com/rival-executives-e...-153000336.html

Verlander expected to be put on trade market

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-bas...d-ranked-value/

Note comments on Top 100 trade candidates

Braves, Cubs, Blue Jays, Boston, NYY, Houston, Dodgers all in play for starting pitching.

3 Quintana

20 Robertson

50 Holland

66 Frazier

76 Cabrera

91 Shields

Others: Pelfrey, Swarzak, Kahnle, Leury Garcia, Yolmer Sanchez, Hanson (970 ops w/ Sox)

I think the most important points in that article are the Sox are willing to eat some money on Robertson's contract in order to get better prospects back, there may not be a lot of proven closers available, and if Cole isn't available (which Heyman believes to be the case) then Quintana will be the top starter on the market at the deadline.

Also, it wasn't in this article, but it sounds like the Dodgers want to add a cost-controlled TOR starter as well. Q's market is setting up very nicely assuming he continues to pitch well.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
Let me preface this with I am not a scout. Here are some observations. The Yankees need an outfielder and called up a 22 year old from AAA. This outfielder has caused another highly rated prospect to be moved from center field to a corner outfield position so I am taking this to be they think the centerfielder is a better defender. The batting line for the corner outfielder is .257 .344 .478 .822. He has 12 HRs and 9 SB. 10% walk rate and 22% k rate. The line for the centerfielder is .293 .329 .542 .871. 13 HRs 13 SB. Walk rate 5% K rate 21%. Obviously this if Frazier vs Fowler. I think they may be a lot closer as prospects than people may think. Only current advantage to me is his walk rate. I looked back over previous years and Fowler's is always pretty low. Fowler is given credit for hard work on his defense and Frazier has had attitude questions. Fowler hits Lefty vs Frazier Right. I think either is a fine prospect and could be in play in a Q trade. It may be interesting when the guru's midseason ratings come out to see if the gap is narrowed. Both fit many peoples suggestions of higher level positional talent.

Good stuff Bama 👊🏻🤘🏻

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)

I'm a bit worried about the implications of the Fowler injury last night. The Yankees glut of OF prospects was really the big basis for a trade - as they could make a trade while still not emptying the farm.

Fowler seemed either likely to be in a potential deadline deal, or at the very least his success at AAA theoretically would've made trading Frazier easier (both for this year and next).

A Patellar Tendon rupture is about as serious of a knee injury as there is. For a player that derives some of his value from being able to play center field that's not good (look at Tilson on a much less serious injury). In the very least it means the Yankees might need Frazier this year, and at the worst it clouds their long-term OF picture enough to make them back off on unloading OF depth.

Edit: apparently the recovery track record is pretty strong in baseball players. CarGo tore his PT in August of 2014 and made a full recovery and played 153 games the next year. Hopefully the kid is totally fine.

Edited by Username

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:29 AM)
I'm a bit worried about the implications of the Fowler injury last night. The Yankees glut of OF prospects was really the big basis for a trade - as they could make a trade while still not emptying the farm.

Fowler seemed either likely to be in a potential deadline deal, or at the very least his success at AAA theoretically would've made trading Frazier easier (both for this year and next).

A Patellar Tendon rupture is about as serious of a knee injury as there is. For a player that derives some of his value from being able to play center field that's not good (look at Tilson on a much less serious injury). In the very least it means the Yankees might need Frazier this year, and at the worst it clouds their long-term OF picture enough to make them back off on unloading OF depth.

It might impact their decision-making, but they still have a full OF once Hicks gets off the DL and all four of their starting caliber OFs are controllable through next season. IMO, this probably doesn't take Frazier off the table for the right TOR starter. That's still a bigger need for them than OF depth.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)
It might impact their decision-making, but they still have a full OF once Hicks gets off the DL and all four of their starting caliber OFs are controllable through next season. IMO, this probably doesn't take Frazier off the table for the right TOR starter. That's still a bigger need for them than OF depth.

Yeah I think you're probably right. Another option might still be including Fowler in the package (if it's more depth oriented). Kind of a unique situation because the Sox team doctor actually did the surgery, so they might have a better feel for his outlook/more willing to take a risk.

Yankees should still have Gardner, Ellsbury, Judge and Hicks who gets semi-regular at bats this season. They can start rotating them at the DH spot eventually but Holliday should also be back at some point. Granted, it's not 100% that they will all remain healthy once they all grt healthy and back to MLB level.

Edited by soxfan2014

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.3288375

Article from the NYDN this morning about how Yanks should go after Quintana and Robertson with scout quotes. Here are a couple snippets.

“It makes sense for the Yankees because those two guys solve a lot of problems for them,” a team executive said on Thursday, “but the cost is going to be painful in terms of prospects. Even if they move now to beat Houston to the punch, (White Sox GM) Rick Hahn can still dictate the price.”

What would it cost?

The consensus among the scouts and executives was that to get both Quintana and Robertson, it would take two blue-chippers and two other significant prospects.

Here’s what that probably means: one player would be Clint Frazier or Blake Rutherford; another would be Chance Adams or Justus Sheffield; and then someone like Wade or Andujar, as well as a younger pitcher like Albert Abreu.

That’s not unreasonable to get two pitchers who could put the Yankees over the top this season and be here beyond 2017, especially with all of the young talent they have to absorb such a hit to their farm system.

It also mentions that they might have to beat Houston to the punch

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 07:40 AM)

Article from the NYDN this morning about how Yanks should go after Quintana and Robertson with scout quotes. Here are a couple snippets.

Here’s what that probably means: one player would be Clint Frazier or Blake Rutherford; another would be Chance Adams or Justus Sheffield; and then someone like Wade or Andujar, as well as a younger pitcher like Albert Abreu.

That’s not unreasonable to get two pitchers who could put the Yankees over the top this season and be here beyond 2017, especially with all of the young talent they have to absorb such a hit to their farm system.

That sounds like fun.

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)
Yeah I think you're probably right. Another option might still be including Fowler in the package (if it's more depth oriented). Kind of a unique situation because the Sox team doctor actually did the surgery, so they might have a better feel for his outlook/more willing to take a risk.

Honestly, I don't think Fowler ever made sense for us. He's a good young player, but the low BB rate is concerning. We already have several core guys on the major league team with that profile in Anderson, Abreu, & potentially Avi.

Frazier is the guy I really want in a Quintana trade. Elite bat speed, plus power potential, draws walks, strong arm. I think his ceiling is significantly higher than Fowler's despite being a corner-only guy.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Why do you think Tucker is overrated?

His rates have gone the wrong way with every promotion. He looks like another swing-heavy, questionable approach OF guy with a couple plus tools but nothing plus-plus.

I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, but I don't think he's in the same league as those other guys.

s***'s about to get real. Too many teams in need of pitching with strong farm systems along with limited sellers puts us in a great spot.

I don't think that Yankees package is enough for both Quintana & Robertson though. Would either need a better 4th piece than Abreu or an interesting 5th piece to consider such a deal. Otherwise, I think you can get more by selling them seperately.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 07:40 AM)

Landing one of Frazier/Rutherford + one of Sheffield/Adams/ + Andujar + Abreu would be a great deal