Burdi to have Tommy John

steveno89

No big deal.

They won't need him before 2019 anyway.

He might actually end up throwing harder...and this makes the decision to hold Kanhle even more obvious with Jones and now Burdi both on the shelf.

Also opens it up further for Fulmer (and/or Lopez) to move into the 7th-9th inning "A Team" bullpen rotation.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
Sucks for him but it's not the worst thing in the world for the team. He's pretty close to majors anyways but we aren't competing for the next year and a half. This only delays his service time to align more with the younger guys.

TJ is not the death sentence it used to be. Most guys come back fine in 12-14 months from it.

Get fixed and get better. I still think we'll see him in 2019 with the big club and to be honest, it is better that it happens now then 2-3 years from now when we are more prepared to be in the early stages of hopefully contending. Sucks as I wish it would not have happened at all, but he can recover and be a valuable asset to the major league club in 2019.

No big deal.

He might actually end up throwing harder...and this makes the decision to hold Kanhle even more obvious with Jones and now Burdi both on the shelf.

Also opens it up further for Fulmer (and/or Lopez) to move into the 7th-9th inning "A Team" bullpen rotation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)
No big deal.

Yeah gonna disagree that it's no big deal. It's not a death sentence but definitely puts his career in doubt.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
No big deal.

It's interesting you say that because I think Jones and Burdi are both examples of why it's so important the Sox aggressively shop Kahnle now. The attrition rates on relievers is so bad that I think they should be viewed almost exclusively as short-term assets. I'm a believer in what we've seen from Kahnle this season, and I'd be targeting him if I were in charge of a contender, but I think it's less than 50/50 there would be a role for him on the next good White Sox team.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
Better to have this happen now than if he were in the MLB eating away service time :huh

In all honestly, if this was inevitable then the timing is perfect. Doesn't change our control over him and pushes back his start date with the team closer to when we should be competitive. Just got to hope he comes back 100%.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
I think its time to see what Fulmer could do as a high leverage reliever.

Can't argue with that. When the Sox get good, I'd love to see them have a guy that can go 90-110 innings...sometimes they save the rest of the pen, sometimes they buy time to get the team a win they weren't expecting in the 4th inning. Maybe Fulmer is this type of guy.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm just worried that he won't be the same after the surgery. Isn't that always a risk?

Serious question... did Stephen Strasburg ever return to phenom status after his TJS?

Three time All-Star since his TJS

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
It is way too early to quit on Fulmer. He was drafted just two years ago. By all rights the dude should still be somewhere around AA.

Agreed. Where the Sox are from a competitive standpoint also allows them to be extremely patient with someone like Fulmer. He should be given every opportunity to become a SP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
It is way too early to quit on Fulmer. He was drafted just two years ago. By all rights the dude should still be somewhere around AA.

How many options does Fulmer have left? It really was stupid calling him up last year and starting the clock when he clearly wasn't ready.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
How many options does Fulmer have left? It really was stupid calling him up last year and starting the clock when he clearly wasn't ready.

There is nothing that can be done about that now. He'll have 2 option years left after this one.