Melky thread

Jake

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)
He is the Tank Commander

I was thinking of him as Tank Sergeant under the command of Supreme Commander Shields.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're going to need an org chart. We need to be aware of the chain of command.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
@ChuckGarfien 38s39 seconds ago

More

As for Melky Cabrera, White Sox are willing to eat money in a deal. For them, it's about getting the best possible prospects in return.

Translation, No one wants Melky, and the Sox are slashing the price on him to get SOMETHING for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Translation, No one wants Melky, and the Sox are slashing the price on him to get SOMETHING for him.

Nah I think there are probably a couple teams who really have interest in him but not willing to dish out any money. I bet Hahn gets a little sumthin sumthin for Melky.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
@ChuckGarfien 38s39 seconds ago

More

As for Melky Cabrera, White Sox are willing to eat money in a deal. For them, it's about getting the best possible prospects in return.

This is fantastic to hear. Melky will be a nice get by some team (hopefully Royals). If we eat the cash, we should be able to get something nice in return.

Fantastic.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
They probably don't need Melky and this is a pipe dream but getting Willie Calhoun in this organization would be incredible. Sadly, unless the Dodgers really like Yolmer/Gonzalez and more, I'm sure we can't get him

While probably a complete pipedream, where would Willie Calhoun play? We do have that Moncada guy over at 2B, and Calhoun is knocking at the doorstep.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
While probably a complete pipedream, where would Willie Calhoun play? We do have that Moncada guy over at 2B, and Calhoun is knocking at the doorstep.

OF I would guess. Looking at his numbers, I really don't see the Dodgers moving him for Gonzalez and/or Cabrera.

I still think he winds up with the royals, familiarity, cost ability to play LF and DH and the fact the sox will eat all of remaining salary. I wouldn't surprise me to see him bundled with MiGo, opening spots for Delmonico and Lopez.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)

If trading with the Dodgers, what about one of their catchers? They have some redundancy there and while Will Smith was a high draft pick a couple of years ago, he's already been surpassed in rankings.

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
If trading with the Dodgers, what about one of their catchers? They have some redundancy there and while Will Smith was a high draft pick a couple of years ago, he's already been surpassed in rankings.

Why would the Dodgers want Melky? I am not seeing the fit.

Rays and Royals are the teams that make the most sense to me, maybe the Pirates but not a whole lot of fits for Melky. The best case scenario (for the white sox) is someone's starting OF'er getting hurt between now and the waiver deadline. Really, the longer we have him and the more of his salary we pay the better the return will be.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
If Melky was put on waivers and claimed, would the Sox let the team have him for nothing?

Just a guess - they'd pull him back the first time if they couldn't work out a deal, then put him on irrevocable waivers towards the end of September.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
If Melky was put on waivers and claimed, would the Sox let the team have him for nothing?

I vote yes. I think they would try to trade him and eat money, but if they didn't want to give up something legitimate...they would then let the other team have him. Just like what happened to them and Alex Rios.

I think they would let him go too, but I would say the odds of a team claiming him are right around 2%. He's going to make $5 million from August 1st through the end of the season. He's going to accumulate like 0.3 WAR in that time. He's a good hitter and offers nothing else, and there isn't a market for outfielders at this moment.

He will be traded to a contender to be a situational bat down the stretch some time between now and August 31st. If he isn't traded by the postseason roster deadline, then he will remain in Chicago until his contract lapses at the end of the season, and he will sign elsewhere in the offseason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
I think they would let him go too, but I would say the odds of a team claiming him are right around 2%. He's going to make $5 million from August 1st through the end of the season. He's going to accumulate like 0.3 WAR in that time. He's a good hitter and offers nothing else, and there isn't a market for outfielders at this moment.

He will be traded to a contender to be a situational bat down the stretch some time between now and August 31st. If he isn't traded by the postseason roster deadline, then he will remain in Chicago until his contract lapses at the end of the season, and he will sign elsewhere in the offseason.

So you think there is a greater chance that a team trades for him than a team claims him?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
So you think there is a greater chance that a team trades for him than a team claims him?

Way, way better chance. JD Martinez was traded for squadoosh because there isn't a market for corner outfielders who don't play much defense. Best the Sox are really going to get for Melky is an organizational type player, and they'll still probably have to eat part or all of his contract.

I'd be very surprised, assuming he's on the Sox past July 31st (and there's still a good chance of that), if he is claimed on waivers. Very, very surprised.