Can Rodon become a quality mlb starter?

Dominikk85

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
This is just same old, same old for Rodon. He pitched lights out in the 2nd half for each of the last 2 season. Now if he could but 2 good halves together we have an ace.

This isn't a knock against him. It is often how young pitching develops. Usually takes a few years . Just a cautionary tale to not expect the studs in the minors to come up and be instant stars. Injuries and inconsistency always rear their ugly heads.

Last year he got better in the second half. His first year he was slightly better in the second half than the first, but a rookie, that could be expected. This year, he spent the first half rehabbing. It isn't the same old same old.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
If the ascent to ace is happening, that would greatly speed up the rebuilding efforts. The pitching staff could very well be ready for the most part by 2019. Either way, this would be a great problem for us to have. In a perfect world Hahn finds a way to extend Rodon this offseason, although that's obviously a huge long-shot.

Probably not likely with Mr. Boras representing Carlos.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
Last year he got better in the second half. His first year he was slightly better in the second half than the first, but a rookie, that could be expected. This year, he spent the first half rehabbing. It isn't the same old same old.

Why are you quibbling ? His 2nd halves he does better than the 1st half . That's the point and part of growing pains as a pitcher. I don't care if he was pitching poorly or injured the 1st halves. Late July August and September have been his best months . Didn't know I had to be so careful choosing my words for someone to take umbrage with a phrase like same old same old

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Probably not likely with Mr. Boras representing Carlos.

Yep 0 chance, especially coming off a lost year.

Hopefully he turns the corner next year and hits ace level for what should hopefully be playoff teams in 2020/21 then leaves for some dumb team to give him 200 million.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Why are you quibbling ? His 2nd halves he does better than the 1st half . That's the point and part of growing pains as a pitcher. I don't care if he was pitching poorly or injured the 1st halves. Late July August and September have been his best months . Didn't know I had to be so careful choosing my words for someone to take umbrage with a phrase like same old same old

Because he did it last year you make it seem like a long term thing. His rookie year his ERA was 0.10 lower the second half, big deal. Last year,yes. This year, his first half was a lost cause. Now is like his first half actually pitching. Same ol, same old doesn't apply.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Anxious to see him after a full offseason healthy, has ace potential still, seems like his floor is a #2 if he can stay healthy

Kopech-Rodon-Giolito-Lopez-Hansen 2019

By then Rodon and Lopez will be seasoned starters. Hopefully they will be as good as Sale/Q. Then Kopech, Giolito and Hansen (couldn't it be Cease by then instead of Hansen) will be so much better than Shields, Gonzalez and Holland and the Sox should be set IF they get a good bullpen. A bad bullpen nowadays coupled with bad defense means a noncontending team.

Coops comments on Rodon lol....

"We came up with some stuff," Cooper said. "That's what's going through his head now instead of (him) thinking, 'Is it my left earlobe? Is it my right testicle? Is it my left big toe?' This is your key. This is the only thing you have to lean on if something ain't right."

Personally...I thought he looked a tad flat last night...but still hadvery good results against against a very good team.

He sure looks like an Ace out there lately...

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
Anxious to see him after a full offseason healthy, has ace potential still, seems like his floor is a #2 if he can stay healthy

Kopech-Rodon-Giolito-Lopez-Hansen 2019

If those 5 guys are the starting 5 in 2019 and just come close to

their potential, the Sox could be gettin' jiggy with it sooner than expected.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
By then Rodon and Lopez will be seasoned starters. Hopefully they will be as good as Sale/Q. Then Kopech, Giolito and Hansen (couldn't it be Cease by then instead of Hansen) will be so much better than Shields, Gonzalez and Holland and the Sox should be set IF they get a good bullpen. A bad bullpen nowadays coupled with bad defense means a noncontending team.

Kopech should be an elite ace. Rodon is likely a #1 on a lesser team. Hansen has ace potential in my opinion and Lopez/Giolito can both be quality starters

The bullpen should eventually feature Burdi, Fulmer, Cease, Adams, Guerrero, Danish etc.

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (zisk @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
If those 5 guys are the starting 5 in 2019 and just come close to

their potential, the Sox could be gettin' jiggy with it sooner than expected.

I expect Giolito and Lopez to be starters to open 2018, Hansen likely a late season call up, and Kopech should be a mid-season call up. Opening 2019 with those 5 would be ideal and not far fetched.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
You guys are sleeping on Dunning

Definitely think he can be a TOR guy, just not getting to the SouthSide as fast as Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, or Hansen...Cease, Dunning, Adams, Guerrero, Stephens, Clarkin may all very well be starters in The Show

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
I really wish we could convince Rodon to sign an extension. Having a #1/#2 punch of Kopech/Rodon for the foreseeable future would be awesome. Would also be nice to have guys like Lopez, Giolito, Hansen, Dunning, etc. slot in the #3 to #5 spots where they could all provide elite production.

I agree but highly unlikely with Boras as his agent. I would wait another year as well with his health. Hopefully JR and Hahn pay him with this empty payroll

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
I'd love to see the Sox sign Rodon before he consistently performs to his ability as well, but it ain't happening.

Of course, Boras Corp doesn't do those deals in most cases, but Rodon's fiancee has been blabbing to Sox fans in a Twitter group how they love Chicago but they will see "when we hit free agency."

Even so, Sox have him for four more years after this. I think he's the most important player in the organization to the rebuild not named Moncada/Kopech/Jimenez.

I imagine Boras chirps in his ear not to end up like Sale & Q who were making about half of what they could have been

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Definitely think he can be a TOR guy, just not getting to the SouthSide as fast as Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, or Hansen...Cease, Dunning, Adams, Guerrero, Stephens, Clarkin may all very well be starters in The Show

Dane Dunning doesn't project as a top of the rotation guy

The ridiculousness of this thread though shows you all you need to know about young players. It was created less than a month ago when Rodon was coming back from injury and it's titled, Can he become a quality MLB starter. That's not even ace or #2 or probably not even a decent #3, because he got lit up when he wasn't really ready to be 100%. Now it's extensions...

Maybe every fan base is like this with young players, but guys need experience, and it isn't always going to go well. Sometimes it not going well for a while is better for them in the long run.