Dear FO: Harper VS Machado, Soxtalk Will Help You Decide

Jerksticks

24 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Because I personally don't believe either Harper or Machado has even the slightest interest in the White Sox unless...unless the Sox offer is significantly and highly over the top compared to other club offers. Teams that can actually win now (not potentially in two-three years), have large scale marketing opportunities for said player (the Sox are so far off the board in Chicago they basically don't even register) and present an environment that is stable in the relative long term (say the next three to five years. With the age of JR, should new ownership come into play, who knows what could happen to the franchise) those are the teams I think they will listen to.

Yea JR understands but it's not up to him. It takes two to make a deal and I just don't think those guys basically care a tinker's cuss (ya like that phrase? LOL) right now about the White Sox.

Well sure, the money will need to be there.  But I think outside the win now factor, there are a ton of plusses to joining the White Sox.  And I fully disagree with your assessment of the marketing opportunities.  Chicago is a major market and these guys would be the face of the franchise and not just another star.  I think the potential would be huge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lillian said:

Do you really think that Sale's defiant gesture of cutting up the jerseys is comparable to Machado's behavior? I personally don't. 

I think Sale's jersey cutting was immature and he was 27  at the time. Between the lines, I don't ever remember Sale's effort ever being  anything other than positive. Machado can be up and down. 

Harper is likely signing with the Nationals/Phillies/Yankees/Cubs, but I soooooo badly want him on the White Sox.

Machado we might have more of a chance at, but I sooooo badly do NOT want him on the White Sox. I don't care how good he is -- he's not someone I want to cheer for and he seems like someone who will play with half energy after the big pay day. 

GRRR. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To those in favor of Harper over Machado simply because of the latter’s “antics”, definitely read the article below on Harper’s defense:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2018/09/20/why-does-bryce-harper-have-25-defensive-runs-saved/amp/

That is near Daniel Palka bad in RF.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:48 AM, Lillian said:

As I stated; "If a player's character is not important to you, I respect that." My question regards what defense one might offer, for his behavior.

There are issues here, which go beyond his being a "dirty player". There is the lack of hustle, and whatever one might call things such as standing at home plate, celebrating a home run, which turns out to bounce off the wall. Please explain to me why these antics do not reflect poor character.

This kind of behavior sets a very bad example for teammates, especially younger players. Do we really want Machado to be a role model for guys like Moncada and Jimenez? I can only imagine what negative effect becoming an extraordinarily wealthy man might have on such a person. If we think he's a jerk now, wait til he becomes the highest paid player, in the history of sports. This seems to me, like an equation for disaster.

Manny Machado isn’t the first player to dog it out of the box thinking he hit a homer. It happens like once every couple weeks. Manny Machado isn’t even CLOSE to the only slugger that doesn’t run out routine grounders. Robinson Cano hasn’t run out a grounder in his life. There’s probably one or two per team, on average, that won’t do it. Manny Machado isnt even remotely close to the only guy who has been known to slide hard into second base, which was something that was ENCOURAGED until about five years ago. Where’s the Chase Utley hate around here?

And yes, while kicking Aguilars foot out of his way was a dick move, how does it even compare to intentionally drilling players with baseballs? How is CC Sabathia literally HERALDED for throwing at a guy on purpose two weeks ago and then obviously and openly taunting the other dugout to the extent that some people believe he actually boosted his hall of fame case, but Machado is not even fit to root for at this point? Why don’t we hate Joe Kelly? Remember how he threw at some guys head? Would anyone raise a ruckus if we acquired Joe Kelly?

Remember when Zack Greinke beaned Carlos Quentin, taunted him, and then Carlos Quentin charged the mound and BROKE HIS FUCKING COLLARBONE? Do you hate Carlos Quentin now? Would you be upset if Greinke was on this team?

This Machado stuff is so overblown, and honestly hypocritical. I can only blame the media and the hype of the postseason. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 12:12 PM, Eminor3rd said:

Manny Machado isn’t the first player to dog it out of the box thinking he hit a homer. It happens like once every couple weeks. Manny Machado isn’t even CLOSE to the only slugger that doesn’t run out routine grounders. Robinson Cano hasn’t run out a grounder in his life. There’s probably one or two per team, on average, that won’t do it. Manny Machado isnt even remotely close to the only guy who has been known to slide hard into second base, which was something that was ENCOURAGED until about five years ago. Where’s the Chase Utley hate around here?

And yes, while kicking Aguilars foot out of his way was a dick move, how does it even compare to intentionally drilling players with baseballs? How is CC Sabathia literally HERALDED for throwing at a guy on purpose two weeks ago and then obviously and openly taunting the other dugout to the extent that some people believe he actually boosted his hall of fame case, but Machado is not even fit to root for at this point? Why don’t we hate Joe Kelly? Remember how he threw at some guys head? Would anyone raise a ruckus if we acquired Joe Kelly?

Remember when Zack Greinke beaned Carlos Quentin, taunted him, and then Carlos Quentin charged the mound and BROKE HIS FUCKING COLLARBONE? Do you hate Carlos Quentin now? Would you be upset if Greinke was on this team?

This Machado stuff is so overblown, and honestly hypocritical. I can only blame the media and the hype of the postseason. 

You left out stepping on Pearce's heel  also but your point is well taken. If he will switch to 3rd base sign him. Guys really good both offensively and defensively are so rare. If his antics eliminate a few teams , great,  then the Sox have a better shot at him and maybe he'll cost less and have less opt outs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tray said:

No thanks on Machado.

I'd go after Bryce Harper. He was seen wearing a black and white jacket  

which means nothing but at the same time, does nothing to quash speculation about which team signs him.

He would be a game changer for the White Sox but Black and White likely means the Yankees.

I'm thinking he chose black and white because any other color would cause endless media speculation. Example: Red means he's going to Philly! Dark blue means he's a Yankee! etc.

The media doesn't know a team that wears black and white as its primary color exists so he made a good choice here 

Look at what Khalil Mack has done for the Bears. He turned a team that was getting better, but still down and out, into a division contender. We need to sign one of these two stars to gain some momentum. Not only will they add victories and take pressure of slumping players, but they will also attract other good players to our team. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tray said:

No thanks on Machado.

which means nothing but at the same time, does nothing to quash speculation about which team signs him.

He would be a game changer for the White Sox but Black and White likely means the Yankees.

The Yankees colors are Navy and White.  Not Black.

7 hours ago, tray said:

No thanks on Machado.

This would make more sense if the Yankees colors were black and white

• Like 1

IMO one thing signing Harper would do that even winning the World Series really didn't do, would be making them relevant around the league again. Not just road draws, which they have been one of the lowest for years, but even ESPN would remember they exist. I don't exactly know how much that is worth, but I would guess it's at least as much as the difference between what you must guarantee each of the big 2.

When they mentioned the rebuild, they also specifically mentioned this free agent class. What a gut punch if they get nobody and somehow the Cubs get Harper or Machado rendering the White Sox Chicago relevance to zero for another decade.

Bryce Harper to the Cubs would be an awful development for the Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

IMO one thing signing Harper would do that even winning the World Series really didn't do, would be making them relevant around the league again. Not just road draws, which they have been one of the lowest for years, but even ESPN would remember they exist. I don't exactly know how much that is worth, but I would guess it's at least as much as the difference between what you must guarantee each of the big 2.

When they mentioned the rebuild, they also specifically mentioned this free agent class. What a gut punch if they get nobody and somehow the Cubs get Harper or Machado rendering the White Sox Chicago relevance to zero for another decade.

Bryce Harper to the Cubs would be an awful development for the Sox.

The same Cubs that just had no choice but to trade Drew Smyly in order to afford Cole Hamels’ option? I’m not too worried about them 

One reason why they had to do that could be the possibility of adding one of these dopes to their payroll. I hope it is because they are tapped. Lack of a couple of rounds of playoff games does hurt revenue a bit.

If they got him, in Chicago we are all 8 year olds and the Cubs are Disney World and the Sox Santa's Village. 

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One reason why they had to do that could be the possibility of adding one of these dopes to their payroll. I hope it is because they are tapped. Lack of a couple of rounds of playoff games does hurt revenue a bit.

I could be wrong, but I feel like if that were the case, they could've just picked up the option and made a trade later. In other words, why did they have to desperately make a trade before picking up the option if they didn't have payroll concerns? 

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s tough because Machado fills a bigger hole and has been the better overall player as of late, but Harper is the type of star this franchise desperately needs. He would immediately change the way the national media views us and would no doubt sell tickets & improve our TV ratings.  It’s really a tough call.  I’d probably lean Machado but can see a case made for either of them.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Cubs fans were already starting to talk about firing people at about year 2 or 3.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

The same Cubs that just had no choice but to trade Drew Smyly in order to afford Cole Hamels’ option? I’m not too worried about them 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I could be wrong, but I feel like if that were the case, they could've just picked up the option and made a trade later. In other words, why did they have to desperately make a trade before picking up the option if they didn't have payroll concerns? 

Texas had to pay the option and teams probably don't want to pay Smyly $7 million. Cubs netted adding $13 million. Wating could have cost more. Not picking up the option might have cost more and more years. It could be anything.  I hope it means they are at their limit as they do have several players they will soon have to pay.

I will say Theo is being Whie Soxian with how many things are going to have to not age or get hurt in his 2019 rotation.