Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

3 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Carlos Rodon: 

Has topped 150 innings once, all the way back in 2016 

Those are the innings each season following. 

You guys are out of your minds if you're OK with handing out $18.4 million for that. 

Syndergaard got $21M for a year after basically not pitching for 2 yrs. He's in the same boat Rodon was in last year when Rodon signed for $3M. Much better pitcher than Rodon over the course of his career of course but Rodon was the healthier one last yr and had the best year of his career even if it was only half a yr. of greatness which was pretty much expected anyway coming off hardly pitching for 2 yrs. The Sox got a shitload of surplus value from him. Do you think Thor is going pitch the same amount of innings this year as Rodon did last year with the same results ?

Verlander got $25M plus a player option for 2023 for another $25M with the caveat that he pitch 130 innings in 2022. Again better career but same boat as Syndergaard with missing most of the last 2 seasons and he's 10 yrs older than Rodon. SF and Houston want to win and are willing to take their chances. Same with the Angels . Teams do these kind of things all the time. It's not that crazy. You just had 3 examples of it for 2022.

I guarantee one thing. Houston,Angels and SF will not be letting  Verlander, Rodon and Thor  go 6 or more innings 10 times in his 1st 18 starts of the season like the Sox did with Rodon. They treated Rodon like he had 170 IPs the season before under his belt. Smart teams don't do that and you can bet your ass if any one of Verlander and Thor pitch as well as Rodon did last year they still won't do it.

What happened to the source someone had saying the Sox were on “fire” or something right after the Kelly and Harrison signings?  Has there been any contact with that source since?  I can’t remember what poster said this.

Here's the thing. If he really has "seen the books" he is 100% violating the obvious non-disclosure agreements he would have signed to be granted access to those records. Not only is he risking personal lawsuits, reputation ruin, and professional suicide, he'd also be risking his firms contract, as well as being stripped of whatever professional credentials he had which allowed him the knowledge which would have made his viewing any financials of a 2 billion dollar company, worth while.  

And on top of it all, it would take about 15 minutes to put together who talked based on the info leaked.

Is it possible that this is real?  Sure. But the odds are about zero of his version of the story being accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Syndergaard got $21M for a year after basically not pitching for 2 yrs. He's in the same boat Rodon was in last year when Rodon signed for $3M. Much better pitcher than Rodon over the course of his career of course but Rodon was the healthier one last yr and had the best year of his career even if it was only half a yr. of greatness which was pretty much expected anyway coming off hardly pitching for 2 yrs. The Sox got a shitload of surplus value from him. Do you think Thor is going pitch the same amount of innings this year as Rodon did last year with the same results ?

Verlander got $25M plus a player option for 2023 for another $25M with the caveat that he pitch 130 innings in 2022. Again better career but same boat as Syndergaard with missing most of the last 2 seasons and he's 10 yrs older than Rodon. SF and Houston want to win and are willing to take their chances. Same with the Angels . Teams do these kind of things all the time. It's not that crazy. You just had 3 examples of it for 2022.

I guarantee one thing. Houston,Angels and SF will not be letting  Verlander, Rodon and Thor  go 6 or more innings 10 times in his 1st 18 starts of the season like the Sox did with Rodon. They treated Rodon like he had 170 IPs the season before under his belt. Smart teams don't do that and you can bet your ass if any one of Verlander and Thor pitch as well as Rodon did last year they still won't do it.

This was the biggest issue last year. I knew it was go8ng to happen when Katz said he was going to treat his pitchersike it was a normal year. Hopefully he learned something.

This is also why a deep bullpen is going g to be very important regardless of people complaining on here about spending too much of the resources on the pen.

Beyond the infamous “smirk” I’ve rambled on about multiple times, Hahn purposely stated they were done with 2B additions after adding Harrison.  If they were capped out money wise and had no plans of adding to the offense, why not just say that at that time instead of letting expectations get too high?

Also, the other factor that makes me optimistic is how Hahn has talked about Vaughn.  Not only has he been mentioned as a possibly of getting some starts at 2B, but Hahn also discussed Vaughn getting time down in Charlotte.  The only way that makes sense is if a legit RF is added.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Beyond the infamous “smirk” I’ve rambled on about multiple times, Hahn purposely stated they were done with 2B additions after adding Harrison.  If they were capped out money wise and had no plans of adding to the offense, why not just say that at that time instead of letting expectations get too high?

Also, the other factor that makes me optimistic is how Hahn has talked about Vaughn.  Not only has he been mentioned as a possibly of getting some starts at 2B, but Hahn also discussed Vaughn getting time down in Charlotte.  The only way that makes sense is if a legit RF is added.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Believe me, I hope they’re wrong. They’re two accounts I remember from last year and before the lockout that had some accurate information.

But claiming to have seen the books?  That’s a stretch.  What level of access would one need for that to be true?  And then to spout about it on twitter using a normal personal account - not an obvious burner.  There would be a serious breech in there somewhere, or “having seen the books” is an in accurate statement. 

Because if he comes out and says they are at their limit while trying to offload Kimbrel, he loses negotiating power. The power of perception.

36 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dont give a shit about "TWTW," "The Fire and The Passion," or anything a spring training clickbait piece says.

Harrison hasn't been good at baseball for a long time. Unless he gets on the cream and the clear, Father Time will take whatever ability he had sooner or later.

I didn't say you gave a shit about it. You seemed curious what their reason was for signing him. I honestly think that was their reason (mostly due to TLR wanting that).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Believe me, I hope they’re wrong. They’re two accounts I remember from last year and before the lockout that had some accurate information.

Reading both their tweets, they feel like story tellers. 

I think they're probably right that sox aren't spending more. I don't think jr has seen "the books." 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Because after the off season of postponing games it would really bad in the media. Everyone on this board would go nuts saying they shouldn't be crying poor.

27 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

But in this lineup he needs to be healthy, make good contact and try to keep the line moving for Tim. He should have no problem doing that and he is being paid 4 million (5.5) 

I disagree. Hes old, and Father Time is invincible. Hes not a plus glove, and he's not a better fit, given his RH bat. They didn't have to sign a top player for the position, if they were serious about improving the overall talent level of the roster. They could have chosen a glove-first type, or a LHH/SH bat to at least get a player that fit.

Harrison is none of those things. 

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

I watched all of Harrison’s homers today and all but one of them was a wall scraper.  

Yeah, I agree. Miller OPSed .780 v RHP for a career. Villar hit 15 HR v RHP last year. If you wanted a glove, Simmons has a better defensive profile than Harrison.

12 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yeah there’s really only two ways they can fix it this offseason.

Either trade Kimbrel or trade Keuchel and than use those resources towards a big free agent or a couple decent ones but I’m afraid with Hahn he will use it towards a couple reclamation projects again or some utility players. 

Kimbrel may well be traded. But the return will be scant, and/or cost cash to go with him.

Every team has to sometimes pickup a reclamation project, or the odd utility player. The good FOs know when and where to get them, and how to get them at a proper price. SF just got Pederson (30 year old projected for ~1.8 FWAR) for $6MM; RH gets 34 year old Harrison (projected for 0.9 fWAR) for $5.5MM.

So far this offseason, I continue to be disappointed in RH's work.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he leaves the door open in case they can deal Kimbrel. I would have thought that would have happened by now though

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Because if he comes out and says they are at their limit while trying to offload Kimbrel, he loses negotiating power. The power of perception.

Sure, but in that case he could of just said nothing.  By saying they are specifically done adding at 2B implies they still plan to add to the offense elsewhere.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Worse than everyone being led on and disappointed?

It's a calculated choice as to which is worse. I think all sports execs lean away from the whole truth and prefer to appease the fans a little.

Sure, but in that case he could of just said nothing.  By saying they are specifically done adding at 2B implies they still plan to add to the offense elsewhere.

But then the media gives them a gard time for not talking. When they are stuck there is no good choice,  they need to determine which is the lesser of the evils.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He could have said they are done adding 2B because I’m sure a lot of people were wondering at the start of the signing if he was gonna be a bench piece.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Reading both their tweets, they feel like story tellers. 

I think they're probably right that sox aren't spending more. I don't think jr has seen "the books." 

Let’s be honest, we’re at a franchise high record payroll, the obvious guess is to assume it won’t go any higher.  If I were a fake insider, that’s the route I’d go if I’m playing the odds.

• Like 1