Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll say if the sox pull off a trade for Mahle I'll forgive everything Hahn has done. I'm a huge mahle guy. Guy could be a stud stud.

A huge Mahle guy sounds like a genetic disorder.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Nick Madrigal does not belong on an MLB roster. 

You have a BWC like hatred for this guy. It's seriously bizarre. He's a fabulous young player. You dont have to mash lots of home runs to be a good baseball player. More at 10!

10 minutes ago, Sarava said:

You have a BWC like hatred for this guy. It's seriously bizarre. He's a fabulous young player. You dont have to mash lots of home runs to be a good baseball player. More at 10!

I dislike Nick Madrigal as a baseball player more than BWC disliked Alex Nylander as a hockey player. 

Nick Madrigal is a terrible baseball player. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not thrilled with this. He's better than Mendick, but this better mean they have a good solution for RF. 

The thread comparing Madrigal vs. Harrison vs. Hernandez will be a source of amusement.

Crap shoot.  And let’s put to bed the idea that 2B are a dime a dozen.  Difference-making 3+ fWAR players are at this spot. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Cesar Hernandez is a younger , cheaper, better player.

Hernandez hit 21 HRs, mostly for Cleveland, yet had a lower slugging percentage and wRC+ than Harrison last year, even with Harrison's bad drop off in Oakland.  Put another way, Harrison was better for Oakland than Hernandez was for the Sox.  

What's kind of interesting is that Harrison was great for the Nats last year, and now they have Hernandez.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1. Keeping madrigal

2. Big name fa like story, baez

3. anyone else that doesn’t suck and is ancient 

1. Spilled milk 

2. one is already signed and one isn’t a 2B

3. take a look at the FA list

• Love 1

It's amazing how much consternation will be exercised on this site over someone who will be our 9th place hitter.  

Not to mention that Harrison had a better year with the Nats last season than Madrigal had with the Sox.  Nick's BA was slightly higher, and his K rate lower, but Harrison had  better OBP, SLG, and wRC+ totals than Nick.  

As someone wrote above, Madrigal had some cache as "Nicky 2-strikes", but his offensive numbers were not eye-popping, he was a poor baserunner, and he kept getting injured.  Seems like the Sox have largely replaced him.  

Of course, that assumes we get the good version of Josh Harrison.  If we get the Detroit or Oakland version, then we have Cesar Hernandez all over again.  In which case Leury Garcia will end up spending the bulk of his playing time at 2B.  

This strikes me as a neutral deal.   They only spent money, not prospects in trade.  And if they get the good version of Harrison, they have covered themselves at 2B.

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Yeah for some reason i was thinking JH was lefty. Not a fan of this deal mostly for that reason...and looking at his playing time over the last 5 years....he has been out a lot. 

Yeah I honestly thought he was a lefty too. Disappointing. Not even a natural platoon with Leury. Brad Miller would have been a much better option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1. Keeping madrigal

2. Big name fa like story, baez

3. anyone else that doesn’t suck and is ancient 

I meant at this point in time. We can’t reverse the Kimbrel trade at this point. And Harrison was a 2 WAR guy last year. He’s exactly the bargain-bin decent player that people wanted at 2B. Baez for 6 years and $140M would have been an awful signing. Sure, Story would be nice, but he won’t be cheap and he probably wants to play SS. 

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

I wouldn’t worry about the order of these things. Not a single significant offensive player has signed since the lockout ended.

People will always get upset without knowing the big picture….with that said, it’s hard not feel like these are just the same old White Sox moves. 

The Sox were just ranked No. 2 in the MLB Power Rankings. Obviously that doesn’t matter in the least, but I bring it up as it at least shows the Sox are viewed by many as one of the best teams in the league. They are close….but history tells us they won’t put their best foot forward, but instead just “plug some holes” with guys like Josh Harrison, instead of bringing in a real difference maker. 

Time will tell, but I can understand the concern from folks. I’m just not ready to judge when there are still a ton of big bats on the market. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah I honestly thought he was a lefty too. Disappointing. Not even a natural platoon with Leury. Brad Miller would have been a much better option.

Yeah Leury actually hits right handed better. I don't think Harrison's splits are too dramatic though.