Crochet having Tommy John surgery Tuesday

Balta1701

So I think we can all agree that this probably happens even if they keep him in the minors last year as a starter.

However, the big difference for the White Sox is service time. Assuming the obvious, he’ll be out all of 2022 and a good part of 2023, the first time he would be back at full strength is opening day 2024.

Because they rushed him up to the big leagues, this is his second pre-arbitration year, and 2023 will be his final pre-arbitration year. He will be in his first arbitration year the next time we see him completely healthy, and at that point the White Sox will only have 3 years of control left with him. And at that point, he will not have even reached 80 innings in a season. 

Had they kept him in the minors last year and this happened, they would still have 6 years of control of him, and if he got hurt in spring training this year they could have still worked him as a starter in 2024 in the minors if they wanted. 

Damn that was an expensive call up.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So I think we can all agree that this probably happens even if they keep him in the minors last year as a starter.

However, the big difference for the White Sox is service time. Assuming the obvious, he’ll be out all of 2022 and a good part of 2023, the first time he would be back at full strength is opening day 2024.

Because they rushed him up to the big leagues, this is his second pre-arbitration year, and 2023 will be his final pre-arbitration year. He will be in his first arbitration year the next time we see him completely healthy, and at that point the White Sox will only have 3 years of control left with him. And at that point, he will not have even reached 80 innings in a season. 

Had they kept him in the minors last year and this happened, they would still have 6 years of control of him, and if he got hurt in spring training this year they could have still worked him as a starter in 2024 in the minors if they wanted. 

Well, we insist on pushing guys like Burdi and then Crochet to solve pressing major league depth issues because our system isn’t producing enough replacements.  That worked with Sale, obviously, but he was such an unusual case and shouldn’t be any kind of template. 

Edited by caulfield12

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is true. However, I don't think calling up a player should be based on what happens if he needs to go on the IL

The question should always be what's is best for his development.  They obviously thought he was ready to get MLB hitters out and would learn more pitching to MLB hitters than MiLB hitters.

There are pros/cons to having him pitch at either level.

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I remember thinking it was idiotic for them to have both Crochet and Kopech up last season. Partially because I thought they should try to stretch them out, and partially because of the service time.

For as much as I hated this orgs spending on RPs this offseason, I wanted them to sign a few RPs last offseason to give Kopech and Crochet time in MiLB.

When his velocity dipped last year I said "get him the surgery and be done with it" and I was shit on. It was only a matter of time

On the other hand Hahn is probably licking his chops at the thought of being able to sign another expensive reliever

• Like 1

It's absolutely criminal how they handled Crochet.  You can't have such a young pitcher throw at max effort under the intensity of a big league game and expect his arm to hold up.  There's a reason why this is never done yet they continue to put their players in difficult situations all because Reinsdorf wants his cheap talent.  This organization will never fucking learn.  They just never fucking learn.

• Like 4

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's absolutely criminal how they handled Crochet.  You can't have such a young pitcher throw at max effort under the intensity of a big league game and expect his arm to hold up.  There's a reason why this is never done yet they continue to put their players in difficult situations all because Reinsdorf wants his cheap talent.  This organization will never fucking learn.  They just never fucking learn.

^^^^^^

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

But he's "ready to get MLB batters out." There's "nothing for him to learn," not even the mental part of the game.

And, most importantly:

It worked for CHRIS SALE. CHRIS SALE! Look how smart they are. If it's good enough for Chris Sale, then EVERY pitching prospect should be handled the same way.

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This may be the first time I've ever seen a player injury blamed on an owner.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

7th highest payroll in baseball but yet JR continues to be called cheap.  If you want cheap, look to the North side owner who fired staff during COVID while Jerry kept every fringe employee on the payroll.  Meanwhile Rickett's trades his core players instead of extending them and is willing to pay billions chasing  a soccer team.  No thanks I'll take JR.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

9 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

But he's "ready to get MLB batters out." There's "nothing for him to learn," not even the mental part of the game.

And, most importantly:

It worked for CHRIS SALE. CHRIS SALE! Look how smart they are. If it's good enough for Chris Sale, then EVERY pitching prospect should be handled the same way.

Who was handled this way other than Sale & Crochett?

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This may be the first time I've ever seen a player injury blamed on an owner.

I believe JR and Hahn were blamed for Vaughn's hip pointer when everyone thought he was done for the year because the Sox were too cheap to sign Conforto and he was playing out of position.  The blame will never stop.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sooo this is sounding too good.  Was hoping to ehar some optimism from @ptatc. womp.

Sorry. I said when they drafted him with his motion, injury history and lack of innings in college his chances of getting injured early on was really high.

Lots of talent but a very risky pick.

• Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to Crochet TJS Possible
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic