TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

Maybe posted already, but from Bob's piece on hot seat managers. Not that we expected anything different.

Tony La Russa, who’s in the second year of a three-year contract with the Chicago White Sox, is safe for the rest of the season, but if they fail to reach the playoffs (23-26) after being a heavy favorite to win the AL Central, his future will be seriously discussed this winter. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/06/03/joe-girardi-philadelphia-phillies-dave-dombrowski/7500025001/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Maybe posted already, but from Bob's piece on hot seat managers. Not that we expected anything different.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/06/03/joe-girardi-philadelphia-phillies-dave-dombrowski/7500025001/

I am pretty sure Bob was the first to mention TLR as a viable candidate too, so this is probably solid info, and not just speculation.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I have thought this also. I think Tony "walks away" if the Sox win the WS or don't make the playoffs. I think losing in the playoffs makes it probably better than 50/50 he returns, although why they would bring him back is really silly. It's silly enough he's still there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Well that's unfortunate, but even so, I think management makes more significant player moves if the Sox aren't a playoff team this year vs if they are.

We all saw glaring holes in left-handed hitting and the #5 starter, but management saw a team that "just missed" advancing to the ALCS and didn't feel upgrades were needed. I fear an 88 win division champ that gets bounced in the Wild Card round causes the same line of thinking.

An 88 win division champ would mean they go 65-48 from here on out? I guess even I would have to say fine the staff can come back at least they went on a serious run.

20 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Can't blow the save if we blow the hold first. highresrollsafe.jpg

I don't wanna be that guy...but a blown hold is considered a blown save assuming it's after the 7th inning. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am pretty sure Bob was the first to mention TLR as a viable candidate too, so this is probably solid info, and not just speculation.

He was.  He floated it weeks beforehand and we all thought it was the craziest notion.  Then others picked it up and our long suffering nightmare began.

More and more this just does not look like the Sox' year.  Of course I hope for a 2nd half of dominance like in '83.  I also remind myself that Atlanta surged last season after a poor start and won it all (although to be honest I don't convince myself of that one). 

If I knew LaRussa would be gone if they don't make the postseason I guess I'd be somewhat ok and chalk it up as a lost season.  However, I don't think they'll ever fire him a 2nd time so I just have to keep looking for that light at the end of the tunnel.....someone please tell me it's not a train.

Dear JR 

I know you enjoy fairy tales so I'll try to help you understand what's happening this way. The first time you kept Tony too little. Now you're keeping Tony too long. He's not going to find a fountain of youth and slay the dragon. A once great baseball guy is embarrassing himself and the franchise. He's not only desperate for a win, but he's equally desperate to look like the Hall of Fame guy he was. Instead he looks like a desperate crack whore trying to move. He keeps kissing the wrong frog hoping he'll turn into a Trout. 

Give him a graceful out. You may have been the hot couple in high school but now you've just a sad couple. It's not you, it's not him, it's both of you. 

Sincerely,

One Foot Out the Door

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Nice try Jay, but TLR is now 40 years older and the game went by him like 15 years ago. 

Well, he won the World Series 11 years ago.

So, I guess this means you can win the world series with TLR even after the game has passed him by. Good news for us.

• Thanks 1