Moncada + Grandal

WBWSF

Neither  Moncada and Grandal are hitting there weight. I went to the game last night and noticed that the Red Sox 3rd baseman is  playing in the shortstop position when these 2 come up to bat. All they would have  to do to get on base would simply bunt down the 3rd baseline. Is it beneath them to do that?. They would get on base every time as long as the 3rd baseman was playing at short.

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Neither  Moncada and Grandal are hitting there weight. I went to the game last night and noticed that the Red Sox 3rd baseman is  playing in the shortstop position when these 2 come up to bat. All they would have  to do to get on base would simply bunt down the 3rd baseline. Is it beneath them to do that?. They would get on base every time as long as the 3rd baseman was playing at short.

Moncada bunted for a double on Sunday.

17 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Moncada bunted for a double a few games ago.  Feel like nothing could hurt at this point with the way these two are playing.  Though with Grandal's sub-Konerko speed he still wouldn't beat the throw.

Yas is too busy resting the bat on his shoulder to lay down a bunt.  

12 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

We've reached the point where if Grandal is not catching, he should not be in the lineup taking ABs at DH or 1B. 

Remember how we started the year being told that his bat was so important that he'd be DHing more often so we can keep him in the lineup, and now he's becoming a liability at DH? Woops.

• Like 1

Can someone who is better than me at looking this stuff up post the production we have from LHH this year? Moncada and Grandal are both essential parts of giving us a balanced lineup against RHP, as they both switch hit. Their production has been dog shit. Sheets is also dog shit. Reese McGuire and Leury also hit from the left hand side of plate...also dog shit.

Our production from LHH plate appearances has to be complete dog shit.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Moncada I can kind of understand as he is almost still in spring training for all practical purposes.  The rest?  No idea.

It's a fair point but there always seems to be an excuse for Moncada. He has a nice floor in terms of WAR because of his defense and ability to draw walks. But he is just not a consistent hitter, he doesn't have consistent power production, and has a career 28 stolen bases for a guy that was supposed to be a base stealer based on his ability to do it in the minors.

Moncada has had an underwhelming career compared to his expectations. it's a shame we didn't manage to land Devers/Kopech from Boston for Sale.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

It's a fair point but there always seems to be an excuse for Moncada. He has a nice floor in terms of WAR because of his defense and ability to draw walks. But he is just not a consistent hitter, he doesn't have consistent power production, and has a career 28 stolen bases for a guy that was supposed to be a base stealer based on his ability to do it in the minors.

Moncada has had an underwhelming career compared to his expectations. it's a shame we didn't manage to land Devers/Kopech from Boston for Sale.

The Sox original ask was Moncada, Kopech and Devers.  Boston talked them into a couple of tier 2 players instead of Devers to get the deal done.

The Sox original ask was Moncada, Kopech and Devers.  Boston talked them into a couple of tier 2 players instead of Devers to get the deal done.

Should have asked for Devers, Kopech, and better tier 2 players than we got.

Also, that's not really the focus of my post. Moncada is a disappointment in many facets of the game. He isn't a complete bust but he is just not an exciting player and with the exception of 2019, is not all that impressive at all.

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Also, that's not really the focus of my post. Moncada is a disappointment in many facets of the game. He isn't a complete bust but he is just not an exciting player and with the exception of 2019, is not all that impressive at all.

I'd like to add that I hope I'm proven wrong.  Maybe the excuses for Yoan are legit. 2020 was a weird year with short schedule and him getting covid. 2021 he was pretty good, not great, but solid enough. This year he did get injured.  Maybe he turns it around and becomes 2019 Yoan again. I'm not optimistic at all that it will happen but god damn I'd love to see it. We need it.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I am also not willing to believe that Devers would have developed the same in Chicago as he did in Boston.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am also not willing to believe that Devers would have developed the same in Chicago as he did in Boston.

That's an unknown. It's a fair point but no way to know for sure. And if that is the case, then this org needs a massive overhaul.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the White Sox player development issues it’s silly to assume Devers becomes the same player here.  The chances are just as likely IMO that if Devers came in the Sale trade the same dudes would be pining for Moncada instead. 

I am a big Grandal guy, but I am at a loss.  He's truly been awful and his 22 play is simply not defendable.  At this point, at the very least, he needs to be dropped down to the bottom third of the order.  I am also not opposed to getting Perez up here and see what he can do a couple times a week.  McGuire is fine back up, but he's not the answer.  Definitely don't think we should be running Grandal out at DH much at all once Eloy returns. 

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am a big Grandal guy, but I am at a loss.  He's truly been awful and his 22 play is simply not defendable.  At this point, at the very least, he needs to be dropped down to the bottom third of the order.  I am also not opposed to getting Perez up here and see what he can do a couple times a week.  McGuire is fine back up, but he's not the answer.  Definitely don't think we should be running Grandal out at DH much at all once Eloy returns. 

this is where I am at. totally killing the team at the 5 spot or wherever else he lands. he needs to be hitting 7th