If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

The only type of team that should ponder trading for Soto would be the Dodgers, Yankees or Red Sox type teams. Because most others will all lose him after 2 years, and you will have just emptied your farm system for 2 seasons of one player. No thanks,

24 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Lets build a long term sustainable talent pipeline complete with smart planners guiding the way so we do not have  to think about Juan Sotos. Crazy, but it might work.

You need to build that and get Juan Sotos.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Sure. Sign him in 2 years when he is a free agent. But it's not happening if our current owner is still alive and in charge of this team.

Everyone knows it’s not happening. But the idea that “sign him when he’s a free agent” is MORE realistic is hilarious. Look around, he won’t be a free agent. Betts didn’t become a free agent. Trout didn’t become a free agent. You have to get them.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Everyone knows it’s not happening. But the idea that “sign him when he’s a free agent” is MORE realistic is hilarious. Look around, he won’t be a free agent. Betts didn’t become a free agent. Trout didn’t become a free agent. You have to get them.

But why get him when you know our current owner won't pay the money to re-sign him? How is that less laughable?

Honestly I thought this was just joking around...you're actually serious that they should get him?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think the only real way Sox can do it is if they trade out giolito.

Trading Vaughn defeats the purpose.

The other thing is taking Strasberg back. 

You really can’t do this trade if it depletes major leagues too much. It has to be additive.

I feel like these kind of go together, just on a time delay. Bringing in Strasburg's contract means we won't be signing Giolito later.

Knowing that, do you trade Gio now to replenish the prospect coffers (assuming we've traded for Soto somehow)? Trading Gio does deplete the majors, like you said. So is it a go for broke, keep him and hope we've got a chance at winning it all? Or get cute and try to get better now (with Soto) AND make our current staff worse (trading Gio) with an eye on the future?

11 minutes ago, Sarava said:

But why get him when you know our current owner won't pay the money to re-sign him? How is that less laughable?

Honestly I thought this was just joking around...you're actually serious that they should get him?

Of course they should get him. He’s a top 5 player in baseball. If you have him for 2.5 years only that’s literally the window anyway.

Could this team be better with the best left handed hitter in baseball from his 23-25 year old years? 

That only depends on what you are sending out.

7 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I feel like these kind of go together, just on a time delay. Bringing in Strasburg's contract means we won't be signing Giolito later.

Knowing that, do you trade Gio now to replenish the prospect coffers (assuming we've traded for Soto somehow)? Trading Gio does deplete the majors, like you said. So is it a go for broke, keep him and hope we've got a chance at winning it all? Or get cute and try to get better now (with Soto) AND make our current staff worse (trading Gio) with an eye on the future?

I just think in the off-season after 2018 we were looking at a team with lots of top players coming up but a missing infielder and RFer. Since then we’ve thrown nomad Mazara, Eaton, and Pollock/Sheets in RF. It ain’t getting fixed. Meanwhile they’ve found top pitchers in cueto, cease, last-year Lynn added.

Hahn needs to admit he’s garbage and just yolo it imo

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Of course they should get him. He’s a top 5 player in baseball. If you have him for 2.5 years only that’s literally the window anyway.

Could this team be better with the best left handed hitter in baseball from his 23-25 year old years? 

That only depends on what you are sending out.

IMO it would send the Sox back to the dark ages. They'd probably have to give up their top 5 prospects....just as they are finally digging out of being the worst system in baseball. And he's 100% going to be gone in 2 years. I couldn't think of a worse idea for this franchise than trading for Soto.

And remember, with the draft changes. Big market teams like the Sox can't draft in the top 10 in back to back years. So we can't just shriug and say let's do the rebuild again when it predictably fails.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just think in the off-season after 2018 we were looking at a team with lots of top players coming up but a missing infielder and RFer. Since then we’ve thrown nomad Mazara, Eaton, and Pollock/Sheets in RF. It ain’t getting fixed. Meanwhile they’ve found top pitchers in cueto, cease, last-year Lynn added.

Hahn needs to admit he’s garbage and just yolo it imo

I think I'd be ok with finally hammering the RF door shut after all of these years (remembering how long it took to fill 3B after Crede), even if it opens a hole in the rotation.

And then looking forward to years of saying "we need to sign a top of the rotation starter!" haha

It's a constant whack a mole until we find the right combo to win the World Series.

6 minutes ago, Sarava said:

IMO it would send the Sox back to the dark ages. They'd probably have to give up their top 5 prospects....just as they are finally digging out of being the worst system in baseball. And he's 100% going to be gone in 2 years. I couldn't think of a worse idea for this franchise than trading for Soto.

And remember, with the draft changes. Big market teams like the Sox can't draft in the top 10 in back to back years. So we can't just shriug and say let's do the rebuild again when it predictably fails.

The Sox are headed for the dark ages anyway. They are a big market team (get less draft and intl capital than their division) but don’t use a big market budget. They have not tried to compensate by having world class scouting or player development or analytics. They have bad mlb scouting which negates what payroll advantage they have.

They hit the lottery with Sale/Q and sold them when the top teams in the league had the top farms. 

This team is pot committed with this team and Hahns mid GMing.

This gets them top talent at least. Otherwise, we sign joc pederson next offseason and enjoy having Colson Montgomery on a 70 win team in 2025

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It's going to take new ownership, and a competent new FO to build an structure for scouting and organization development, the latter of which has been the weakest link.

You can consistently call up solid major league player if you can develop them properly in the minor leagues. Look at Cleveland, Saint Louis, Tampa Bay, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers. Consistent success in developing and promoting solid callups year in and year out. The Sox have been on the opposite end of the spectrum for as long as I've been alive, with the short exception of the core 1990s talent built by Larry Himes before Jerry fired him for Ron Schueler.

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Soto will come here and hit .230 avg, 300 obp, 350 slg for 15 years. We all know this

You must be a White Sox fan.  

I feel like there should be a name for this phenomenon.  Like the Bermuda Triangle but for coming to the Sox and sucking garbage horse.  

40 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

You must be a White Sox fan.  

I feel like there should be a name for this phenomenon.  Like the Bermuda Triangle but for coming to the Sox and sucking garbage horse.  

Is that like a Trojan horse?

Sneak really good players into Chicago to sabotage the team because TLR wouldn't know what to do with them?

We are talking about Soto and the Sox, but let's look at a slightly more realistic example of the Twins with Correa...

"It's going to be costly to acquire what is necessary to turn this around.  Does the FO want to do this?  They have alot to consider.  Does what they do impact the chance that Correa stays?  Can the Twins realistically afford a $35 million dollar player when they probably need to spend money to get the pitching righted.  This goes beyond this season.  If they know they need pitching, how much does his contract impact that ability?  I personally think the FO is in a tough spot, and Correa's contract is a big part of it.   If Royce Lewis was healthy letting Correa go after this season might be the best option BUT, he is not.  Unless the Pohlad's increase payroll, not sure we can get the pitching we need if Correa stays.  If the Twins fail this season, the whole Correa signing may actually set the organization back rather than moving it forward. If Correa leaves, who plays the position next season? It seems the multiple knee injuries to Lewis, along with Correa's contract, may actually be a real problem fixing the pitching issue."

https://twinsdaily.com/forums/topic/57522-can-the-twins-right-the-ship/page/2/#comments

Edited by caulfield12

The point is even if we had Juan Soto, and completely gutted the farm system and future to accomplish that...we arguably wouldn't have enough starting pitching to do any damage in the postseason.

That's assuming you can trade for him without giving up Cease or Kopech.

As it stands right now we invested about $45 million into Keuchel, Lynn and Cueto/VV.

Maybe we keep Cueto and maybe he continues his run next year, but the odds of that are, what?  25%? 33%? 50%?

And at what cost?

You're still betting on Pollock, Giolito, Kelly, Lynn, Grandal, Moncada and Jimenez to turn things around?

Even if Soto produced like the true star he is, you are more than likely in the same situation the Angels and Phillies find themselves trapped in...where you have to eventually countenance a dramatic teardown/rebuild as you max out payroll flexibility.

The White Sox are now suddenly going to go over a $200+ million payroll after the Reid response from season ticket buyers already after the disastrous offseason and continuing TLR-Gate?

No way in hell.

Edited by caulfield12

• Why would Soto say no to nearly half a billion? The Nationals’ offer would have been the largest by total dollars in MLB history, but it also would have made Soto a National for life — keeping him under contract until age 38. It probably doesn’t help that the Nats (30-63) have the worst record in baseball.

• What will it take to acquire Soto? Likely, top prospects and the ability to absorb a bad contract. Soto has already finished top five in MVP voting twice. He’s a clear top-three player in baseball. Because he’s under club control next season, the Nationals also don’t have to trade him unless they love the return.

• Which teams could realistically be in play? The Padres, Mets and Dodgers have the prospects and/or financial muscle. Never count out the Yankees, of course. But this is a bit like the Kevin Durant sweepstakes: Every team should consider it.

The Athletic’s MLB staff dove further into what it will take to get a deal done. Craziest suggestion: Soto for Shohei Ohtani (and then some). Our brains just exploded.

With the draft of Parada, the Mets can now dangle Francisco Alvarez as the headliner in a Juan Soto trade. You know Mets owner Steve Cohen is thinking the same thing.”

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Athletic had an article outlining potential trade packages and threw out Eloy, Vaughn, Montgomery, Colas, & Vera for the Sox.  They then said that wouldn’t be enough and a package would need to start with Cease & Robert.  I think we can safely close this thread.

Ha!  If that’s the price I can’t imagine any team trading for him.