White Sox select Noah Schultz #26

southsider2k5

I really love what the Sox have done in the first ten rounds.

Shultz -- Was in contention to be a top-15 pick before mono

Pallette -- Was in contention to be a top-10 pick, some thought maybe even a shot at 1-1, before TJ

Cannon -- Was in contention to be a first round pick before mono

Sprinkle -- Was in contention to be a first round pick and the top SS taken before some swing changes messed up his offense

There is an alternate reality where all four of these guys were off the board before the Sox even picked at 26.  As an Alabama alum I might have preferred Prielipp over Shultz, but he fell pretty far so I wonder if there are concerns about his medicals. Either way, hard to complain about the upside in this draft. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

37 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I really love what the Sox have done in the first ten rounds.

Shultz -- Was in contention to be a top-15 pick before mono

Pallette -- Was in contention to be a top-10 pick, some thought maybe even a shot at 1-1, before TJ

Cannon -- Was in contention to be a first round pick before mono

Sprinkle -- Was in contention to be a first round pick and the top SS taken before some swing changes messed up his offense

There is an alternate reality where all four of these guys were off the board before the Sox even picked at 26.  As an Alabama alum I might have preferred Prielipp over Shultz, but he fell pretty far so I wonder if there are concerns about his medicals. Either way, hard to complain about the upside in this draft. 

This is a good point. Lots of upside along with the risk. Hopefully we see some early results out of these picks. I'd argue all 4 of those guys listed are well within the top 30 rankings of the farm right now.

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The reason I don't love the pick is that the bust rate is massive. Sure, if they hit they get a superstar talent, but guys his size just don't last as starters in the big leagues in general, and high school arms also are a very risky pick. 

The Sox love love love these huge ceiling arms, but with the exception of Sale none of them have really worked out and Sale was much more polished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Kolek

Yet another name that comes to mind in that same mold…where the two biggest busts came #1/2 on high school pitchers and the three best position players were 10/13/25 (Conforto/Trea Turner-SD/Chapman).

https://www.si.com/mlb/2011/03/12/11baseballs-tallest-pitchers#gid=ci0255ca70801a2515&pid=dustin-nippert

If you look at the majority of guys pitching at 6’9” or taller, they were finesse guys like Rauch, Eric Hillman, Hendrickson, Doug Fister and Chris Young.

The majority ended up as relievers.

Daniel Cabrera, Ryan “Little Unit” Anderson, Andrew Sisco are three “power” pitcher names that come to mind.

Then you have Tyler Glasnow at 6’8” and I think Alex Manoah is 6’7”.

Not very many have made it.

The White Sox had another 6’8” guy in Adam Russell a decade ago.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2011/03/12/11baseballs-tallest-pitchers#gid=ci0255ca70801a2515&pid=dustin-nippert

If you look at the majority of guys pitching at 6’9” or taller, they were finesse guys like Rauch, Eric Hillman, Hendrickson, Doug Fister and Chris Young.

The majority ended up as relievers.

Daniel Cabrera, Ryan “Little Unit” Anderson, Andrew Sisco are three “power” pitcher names that come to mind.

Then you have Tyler Glasnow at 6’8” and I think Alex Manoah is 6’7”.

Not very many have made it.

The White Sox had another 6’8” guy in Adam Russell a decade ago.

Rauch threw very hard before he got hurt. IIRC he was an mid 90s guy in the minors. 

Source: I used to hit 100 mph with him in MVP 03. 

Take it with a grain of salt. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Right.  There aren't many dudes taller than 6'8 in general.

Apparently, you haven’t been to Kankakee lately.  6’4 and 3/4 is the average height of a man, between 18-26, in this relatively small town.  There was also a train that derailed in the early 90’s and covered the town in radioactive waste.  Basically, my point is, girls are taller than you in the town of Kankakee.  The coordinates line up with the Devil’s Triangle too.  It’s Japan’s Bermuda Triangle.  It’s good to see the Sox focusing on pitching the last two drafts.  On day 3, I’d still draft 70% pitchers.  The system needs it.

Edited by JPR
  • TLR 2

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Rauch threw very hard before he got hurt. IIRC he was an mid 90s guy in the minors. 

Source: I used to hit 100 mph with him in MVP 03. 

Take it with a grain of salt. 

He was mid 90s before the shoulder, then was low 90s. 100 sounds uncommon.

God MVP 03 was the best though. I put it on the lowest difficulty and hit 120 homers with Griffey

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

He was mid 90s before the shoulder, then was low 90s. 100 sounds uncommon.

God MVP 03 was the best though. I put it on the lowest difficulty and hit 120 homers with Griffey

I still listen to the music from that game. One of my favorite sports game soundtracks ever. 

Anyway, mid 90s in 2000 was like upper 90s now. A pitcher had plus velocity if they sat around 94 mph back then. Upper 90s SP were unicorns. Was a big deal if a guy sat around 96. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

If anyone wants to see all the Sox picks of the 1st 10 rounds along with videos, tweets, how they were ranked coming in by various sources , instead of looking through the thread , here it is. https://www.soxon35th.com/2022-mlb-draft-all-white-sox-draft-picks/

That link will be updated with all other picks also.

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Apparently, you haven’t been to Kankakee lately.  6’4 and 3/4 is the average height of a man, between 18-26, in this relatively small town.  There was also a train that derailed in the early 90’s and covered the town in radioactive waste.  Basically, my point is, girls are taller than you in the town of Kankakee.  The coordinates line up with the Devil’s Triangle too.  It’s Japan’s Bermuda Triangle.  It’s good to see the Sox focusing on pitching the last two drafts.  On day 3, I’d still draft 70% pitchers.  The system needs it.

My 5'10" self would love if this was true.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

At least you're taller than Nicky Two Strikes Madrigal.

Actually I always thought 5'9" to 5'10" was close to the average for a man born in the US.

A quick Google confirms your thoughts, but we're talking about my hometown.

9 hours ago, Quin said:

6 hours ago, Quin said:

You had to say it twice didn't you.....just to rub it in on those of us who are vertically challenged.  It gets so ugly around this place when there are no games to distract us.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wegner said:

You had to say it twice didn't you.....just to rub it in on those of us who are vertically challenged.  It gets so ugly around this place when there are no games to distract us.

Man you must hate the Schultz pick.

It's not fair to compare Schultz to other pitchers that tall because is body and the way he moves is very different.  Most of the guys mentioned were stiff with long arm actions. Schultz is remarkably flexible and loose for his size.  His delivery is very simple and he has about as short an arm action as you can get for a guy with an arm that's long as a boat oar. At a pretty young age he has the ability to sync up his delivery and repeat his arm slot which gives him a chance for above avg command. He still has things to work on like his glove side fastball command and his changeup but he has plenty of time for that.  He has as much upside as any player in the draft and has a very real chance to be an ace. It was an outstanding pick.

• Like 6