Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

Benintendi is certainly the "Surest thing" and his the highest floor.  But it's still annoying that the Sox can't find someone from minors who can slap it out at .750 and play better defense than he does.  Signing him is like using capital on relievers - you can overpay the market by 30%, but the numbers still won't be eyepopping; in the end its hole-plugging and not "premium talent."

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Is all this Benintendi speculation just from the ominous Kap news?  Or did someone here say they heard Beni?

I don't even think its based on anything.  Just people saying "Oh, no! Not Gallo!  How about Benintendi instead?!"

I'd be floored if the Sox signed Benintendi.  

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Benintendi isn’t coming here. He has other options to sign with a team who wants to win and I’m sure that’s what he wants. The Sox front office have to prove to free agents that they want to win. Only players that come here willingly are those near the end of the line or players that need to rehab so that other teams will want them again. 

They don't have to worry about that if it's a trade. Everyone's assuming it's a FA signing which is kind of weird.

14 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If the Sox are willing to spend $10 million or so for a year of Gallo or Brantley, you'd think that they'd look at the benefits of spending another $4 million or so for Benintendi.  The issue, of course, is Benintendi will be seeking, and will get, a multi-year deal.  But, dammit, why wouldn't they say, "Well s%*#, let's solve LF for the next four seasons for $14 or $15 million a season?"

But, you know, logic.

Does Benintendi have any power left in his bat? 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't even think its based on anything.  Just people saying "Oh, no! Not Gallo!  How about Benintendi instead?!"

I'd be floored if the Sox signed Benintendi.  

I would be surprised too...pleasantly surprised but still surprised. Maybe KW and PG both leaned on JR for their guy and he finally said ok.

I doubt it tho.

On the other hand there is too much smoke on Gallo right now....perhaps so much so that it's a smokescreen. 

Maybe it's the Kepler trade?

I just want to get something done, I'm tired of logging in here everyday and seeing Hahn still sitting doing nothing but holding his dick while everyone else is getting better.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

I would be surprised too...pleasantly surprised but still surprised. Maybe KW and PG both leaned on JR for their guy and he finally said ok.

I doubt it tho.

On the other hand there is too much smoke on Gallo right now....perhaps so much so that it's a smokescreen. 

Maybe it's the Kepler trade?

I just want to get something done, I'm tired of logging in here everyday and seeing Hahn still sitting doing nothing but holding his dick while everyone else is getting better.

Do think Kepler is a really nice fit.  Just would be really surprised to see MN move him to the Sox. 

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Benintendi is certainly the "Surest thing" and his the highest floor.  But it's still annoying that the Sox can't find someone from minors who can slap it out at .750 and play better defense than he does.  Signing him is like using capital on relievers - you can overpay the market by 30%, but the numbers still won't be eyepopping; in the end its hole-plugging and not "premium talent."

certainly the highest floor.  But almost no ceiling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They don't have to worry about that if it's a trade. Everyone's assuming it's a FA signing which is kind of weird.

Likely because the same guy that brought this rumor up mentioned Gallo and the Sox about half a dozen times the same day.  IDK, just a guess. 

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Here you go.  Conforto >>>>> Benintendi > Gallo >> Brantley >>> everyone else.  

I'd actually take Gallo over 10D but yeah. 

I want the power, can live with the Ks and lower BA. 

Gallo could be 2012 Adam Dunn with better D and that's ok. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'd actually take Gallo over 10D but yeah. 

I want the power, can live with the Ks and lower BA. 

They're pretty close to a push for me.  I'd prefer the short contract with Gallo, however, I'd prefer a higher floor with Benintendi because that's what this team doesn't have. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Likely because the same guy that brought this rumor up mentioned Gallo and the Sox about half a dozen times the same day.  IDK, just a guess. 

That's what makes me think it's not Gallo tho. They are being too obvious about it and we know RH doesn't like media to blow up his work so maybe Gallo is just the smokescreen.

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That's what makes me think it's not Gallo tho. They are being too obvious about it and we know RH doesn't like media to blow up his work so maybe Gallo is just the smokescreen.

This is starting to feel like the Herb Lawrence thing, and nothing comes off this imminently. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He makes a lot of appearances and videos. He says the same things a lot all the time. He threw a name out there big deal . He said" Gallo or someone" and never used the word " signing " . Greenberg used "signing" then the thread starter used "signing".

All during the winter meetings we heard Hahn say trades were more likely. We heard Fegan say the payroll was 180M . We heard most fans believing that and cursing JR in most posts here.    Now just like that it's supposed to be a signing because Kap said Gallo a few times and people completely throw all the other info out the window that theyve been bitching about for a couple of weeks. Yea Idk that's strange to me.  But ok It's Gallo and Herb Lawrence is right and all the national guys haven't got a clue yet on something so specific . Weird.

28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

LH hitters come here to die which has been our distinction for the past decade.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They're pretty close to a push for me.  I'd prefer the short contract with Gallo, however, I'd prefer a higher floor with Benintendi because that's what this team doesn't have. 

I think to make Beni work, you need power from the 3rd baseman. Otherwise the way the team struggles to hit homers, eh. OTOH, with Gallo, you need less strikeouts from 3b and everyone else. If the Sox go these routes, they tend to emphasize their existing flaws too much. Changes around these moves seem in order.

11 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Does anyone have any concerns about Conforto not having played baseball since 2021?  It would suck if the Sox signed him and it took him a few months to shake off the rust, putting the Sox in a hole by June or July.  If they would be getting prime Conforto right from the get-go, great.

a little.  But that's what makes his contract cheaper.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Does anyone have any concerns about Conforto not having played baseball since 2021?  It would suck if the Sox signed him and it took him a few months to shake off the rust, putting the Sox in a hole by June or July.  If they would be getting prime Conforto right from the get-go, great.

Yes, I also fear how bad his throwing might be now

• Like 1