Rumor: TLR will (NOT*) be present for ST *update

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know you don't want to believe it, but it probably is true. 

If TLR were healthy he'd be back in 2023 and Menechino would have been the fall guy. 

I am not at all surprised you choose to believe that, but there is no way TLR was coming back.  They gave him a way to leave without getting fired, and he took it. 

Now, I will admit - this little nugget of information definitely fits in the "he would be back if not for health" category, but he is a HOF manager afterall.  I don't want him anywhere near to club - to be clear - but I could at least understand why they wouldn't tell him to f*** off, even if I would.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not at all surprised you choose to believe that, but there is no way TLR was coming back.  They gave him a way to leave without getting fired, and he took it. 

Now, I will admit - this little nugget of information definitely fits in the "he would be back if not for health" category, but he is a HOF manager afterall.  I don't want him anywhere near to club - to be clear - but I could at least understand why they wouldn't tell him to f*** off, even if I would.  

I think they would have let him back, but he would not have come back, given his comments in his final conference about how the fan pressure might have led him to leave regardless

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

He wasn’t fired though. No doubt in my mind he would have returned if not for the health issue.

I mean this totally could be part of the exit strategy to get him to leave.  Put him in some BS ambassador type of position so that he feels like he is still doing something.  But what other organization let's this get to this point?  s%*# Denvers football team just fired a 1st year coach because it wasn't working and they were being embarassed.  The Sox?  Nah, come on back and make us look dumb again.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean this totally could be part of the exit strategy to get him to leave.  Put him in some BS ambassador type of position so that he feels like he is still doing something.  But what other organization let's this get to this point?  s%*# Denvers football team just fired a 1st year coach because it wasn't working and they were being embarassed.  The Sox?  Nah, come on back and make us look dumb again.

Denver is also having Condoleeza Rice do a total audit of the entire Broncos organization apparently. I'm sure that will go swimmingly. 

If the Sox flame out again next season can we blame TLR's presence at ST as the reason? 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

.....and the worst.

No, no. That's still the Pirates.

I'm also going to add the Angels and A's as contenders. Angels for wasting quite possibly the two greatest talents of this generation and the A's for being such blatantly cheap bastards to force a stadium move that it'd make Reinsdorf blush.

Why!?! God this org is so dumb....don't let him anywhere near our players. I'm sure this will excite all the players who can't stand him to show up in ST with a great positive attitude. This just shows they don't GAF about the players.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Isn’t it public knowledge that he had to have a pace maker put in? Not pretending to be a doctor, but I have a really hard time believing Tony would have been cleared to fly on a weekly basis and endure the stress of being a MLB manager. Obviously we’ll probably never know the real answer, but I think it’s well within reason to believe that Tony’s (sort of) departure was purely medical and we just got lucky. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

No, no. That's still the Pirates.

I'm also going to add the Angels and A's as contenders. Angels for wasting quite possibly the two greatest talents of this generation and the A's for being such blatantly cheap bastards to force a stadium move that it'd make Reinsdorf blush.

Oh there are worse, but dumber is a different story.  Look the A's get their place in the world, and are doing what they can to make it work.  The Pirates are cheapest organization in pro sports.  The Orioles are a one man disaster.  But none of them decided to put a guy like Tony in charge when they were trying to get to a World Series.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Isn’t it public knowledge that he had to have a pace maker put in? Not pretending to be a doctor, but I have a really hard time believing Tony would have been cleared to fly on a weekly basis and endure the stress of being a MLB manager. Obviously we’ll probably never know the real answer, but I think it’s well within reason to believe that Tony’s (sort of) departure was purely medical and we just got lucky. 

Yeah, I think it is possible.  I also think it could well be a mixture of the two things, and the Sox used the legit health issues to get out from under TLR without actually having to fire him.  Purely for sanity - and since we'll never know for sure - I choose to move forward believing he was never coming back, because the alterative is too difficult to bear. 

15 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He had the pacemaker before he was ever hired for the job I believe. 

1 hour ago, tray said:

An orderly transition.....A courtesy to the new Manager who may have requested this.

As I've always said, if you're going to troll, at least try and put some effort into it. This is just such laziness, it's gross. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still refuse to believe this is true.  

I know you want to take a positive approach to things, and more power to you...but history is absolutely not on your side on this one. There is enough present and historical evidence to tell us TLR would most likely have gotten another crack at things in 2023. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I think it is possible.  I also think it could well be a mixture of the two things, and the Sox used the legit health issues to get out from under TLR without actually having to fire him.  Purely for sanity - and since we'll never know for sure - I choose to move forward believing he was never coming back, because the alterative is too difficult to bear. 

Until told otherwise, I continue to believe that something big happened which caused the need for him to be gone immediately.  Too much stuff happened too quickly that didn't make sense put together.  Obviously the Sox don't care who they hire at the same time, but hopefully the full story leaks out one day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ChiSox59 changed the title to Rumor: TLR will (NOT*) be present for ST *update