2023-24 NFL Season Thread

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

I took a look at the available free agents and draft class.

Bears will have about $54 million in cap space if they tag Jaylon Johnson and cut Jackson and Whitehair. That includes the salaries for their 6 draft picks.

The Bears have needs at QB, WR, EDGE, C, FS, OG, DI.

This draft is deep at QB, WR, OT, and CB.

This free agency class is fairly deep at EDGE, S, and DI.

Based on that the Bears should be targeting QB, WR, and OL help in the draft and sign a bunch of defenders in free agency. They have the cap space to make a few splashes.

Spotrac has them at 62M right now 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

10 hours ago, The Beast said:

I’m basically asking if Williams should be elite, or put up Mahomes-esque numbers by the end of the first or second year in the NFL. I want to know what Bears fans expect if they draft Williams. I would expect playoffs at a minimum if they went that route.

A lot of that is going to depend on the coaching staff and the scheme that's going to be there for the QB when they step into the league.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

A lot of that is going to depend on the coaching staff and the scheme that's going to be there for the QB when they step into the league.

I just don’t think you ask anyone how long they take until they are elite.  You draft a guy who you believe is close or there, and you support him.  there is no timetable on elite, guys just show out when it clicks

51 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Spotrac has them at 62M right now 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

OTC has their "effective cap space" much lower, due to the number of players on contract being only at 37 and having 2 first round picks to pay. Cutting Jackson/Whitehair does save about $20mil though, so would be around $58 million after that.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I just don’t think you ask anyone how long they take until they are elite.  You draft a guy who you believe is close or there, and you support him.  there is no timetable on elite, guys just show out when it clicks

Yep, that's what happened with Josh Allen. You draft a player on what you believe they can become.

Josh Allens college stats were awful. Couldn't even complete 57% of his passes against a bunch of nobodies. Drafted, developed, and by year 3 he was an MVP caliber superstar.

Edited by T R U

21 hours ago, bmags said:

https://x.com/dan_bernstein/status/1744080955994677576?s=46&t=9lkBcVJmwvxFpyVi5DNtCg

every pseudo smart person rushing the same take out. Guess what, football seasons are only 17 games! This is a meaningful percentage!

This is him talking down to his crowd.  Fields missed 4 games.  That game was 4/13 of the season.  That is not imaterial.

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is him talking down to his crowd.  Fields missed 4 games.  That game was 4/13 of the season.  That is not imaterial.

It is immaterial in that it should not be the deciding factor in Justin’s continued career with the bears.  His entire career should be the evidence not the final game 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Yep, that's what happened with Josh Allen. You draft a player on what you believe they can become.

Josh Allens college stats were awful. Couldn't even complete 57% of his passes against a bunch of nobodies. Drafted, developed, and by year 3 he was an MVP caliber superstar.

Allen is interesting - because his physical skills are similar to Fields. He's a unicorn. Allen was pretty poor in 1st 2 season(s) - but than by year 3 he took major growth. Field(s) hasn't taken that growth, but I get why some teams see guys like that and think okay, be patient with someone with Field(s) physical abilities - but 3 years in the NFL is a long time and you see it too often....really good QB's, make everyone around them better, they negatve weakness and excuse(s).

Fields hasn't done it - espeically when the moment matters most.  He just doesn't.  

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It is immaterial in that it should not be the deciding factor in Justin’s continued career with the bears.  His entire career should be the evidence not the final game 

I disagree - I put far heavier weight on '23 season than I do '21 or '22. In particular - I look at '23 vs. '22 and have to assess how much growth and development you really saw.  Only the Bears coaches and staff fully know that - as they have been closest to it. Whether they are right in their judgement, that is a whole other story.  

But I don't think he made massive strides in '23 - but I will say a lot of his stats ticked up. With that said - after coming back from injury he didn't throw for many TD's and the offense had a number of games where they struggled to score.  If he played the final 8 weeks throwing light(s) out - which I wished for as much as anyone - than I think the decision at QB would actually have been pretty easy (punt taking one this year - roll the dice and see what another year of Fields development does).  But he seemed to flatline as the season progressed and a flatter trajectory of growth given what his current production is is a far cry from good enough.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I disagree - I put far heavier weight on '23 season than I do '21 or '22. In particular - I look at '23 vs. '22 and have to assess how much growth and development you really saw.  Only the Bears coaches and staff fully know that - as they have been closest to it. Whether they are right in their judgement, that is a whole other story.  

But I don't think he made massive strides in '23 - but I will say a lot of his stats ticked up. With that said - after coming back from injury he didn't throw for many TD's and the offense had a number of games where they struggled to score.  If he played the final 8 weeks throwing light(s) out - which I wished for as much as anyone - than I think the decision at QB would actually have been pretty easy (punt taking one this year - roll the dice and see what another year of Fields development does).  But he seemed to flatline as the season progressed and a flatter trajectory of growth given what his current production is is a far cry from good enough.  

Ok, however you want to zoom out, this season or his entire career, one final game is in fact immaterial by itself in judging what you are about to do

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ok, however you want to zoom out, this season or his entire career, one final game is in fact immaterial by itself in judging what you are about to do

I think overall he just hasn't made the progress that a future franchise QB needed to make. Is he serviceable, yes. If they were picking 18 in the first round, you can make a case to keep him. But with a chance to get a true franchise QB who can make everyone around him better and win own his own, they should take it. 

This is if they think one is available.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

With no announcement yet and participating in exit interviews, does this mean Eberflus is safe?

I'd be shocked if they do anything before Harbaugh makes a decision after the game.  That is, if they are going to go after him.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

With no announcement yet and participating in exit interviews, does this mean Eberflus is safe?

Probably, with statement about the staff soon to come. 

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

From what I read, they did 10 minute exit interviews today with the entire roster from like 10am-5pm, Pace and Flus were conducting the meetings. 

If they were moving on, I’d have to imagine they would have fired him at like 8am this morning. 

Now, I would certainly hope they are exploring all options and if someone like Harbaugh expressed interest, doesn’t mean they can’t move in a different direction…but I get the sense if Flus did all these interviews, he’s safe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

You almost have to either keep them all or get rid of them all, in Eberflus, Getsy and Fields. My thing with keeping them and trading the pick, is if they fail in 2024, they will have the draft capital to get back up top in the draft.

I would bet they keep Eberflus as the administrator and bring in a new oc with the new qb. Eberflus and pols will find a DC familiar with the cover 2 defense. 

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would bet they keep Eberflus as the administrator and bring in a new oc with the new qb. Eberflus and pols will find a DC familiar with the cover 2 defense. 

Ugh, please no more of the Cover 2. It was fine 20 years ago but the modern offense carves it up way too easily, unless you have an elite defensive front 4 who can get pressure regularly.

37 minutes ago, ptatc said:

We’ve seen this song and dance before, and it always ends the same way.  Awful.

Clean house, bring in a new coaching staff, and let them give their thoughts and advice to Poles on which QB they want.

Edited by WhiteSox2023