Move Moncada up in the order

CentralChamps21

Yoan finally looks fully healthy after 3 years battling COVID and injuries. I think he's gonna have a monster season. He needs to be hitting in the top 3 in the order, at least vs RHP.

Luis Robert is not a top of the order guy. Doesn't have a high enough OBP to take advantage of his speed.

Robert looked 1000000 times better yesterday.  Though it’s hard to look worse that he did the first three games.  If he’s locked in he hits third in my lineup, with Moncada hitting second.  I know Grifol loves Benintendi in the three spot, he just doesn’t belong there in my opinion.  Sixth feels like a better spot for him to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Can someone start a Moncada Thread Thread so we can keep track of the Moncada Threads? I can never remember if I'm supposed to love him or hate him.

One day we can put that thread it in my idea for a secondary site:  “Soxtalk Soxtalk” — a Soxtalk about Soxtalk.  It can be full of “thread threads” comprised of posters complaining about other threads and recounting their own posting histories (this post could be in there).  Imagine:  one Soxtalk for baseball, another a 100% distilled cauldron of meta-argument, self-reference and mental illness.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yoan finally looks fully healthy after 3 years battling COVID and injuries. I think he's gonna have a monster season. He needs to be hitting in the top 3 in the order, at least vs RHP.

Luis Robert is not a top of the order guy. Doesn't have a high enough OBP to take advantage of his speed.

Also...top of the order guys are an antiquated idea. 

They only, truly, lead off once in a 9 inning game. 

You put your best hitters at the top so they get the most at-bats during the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robert is a streaky hitter. He never won't be. He'll carry you for three weeks but he'll also look a little lost at times.

That sounds exactly like the kind of guy who should be batting 6th-7th

10 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The problem is that it’s going to be hard to have Benintendi and Yoan at the top of the order and also split up the RH’s in the middle.
Only solution I see would be to drop Vaughn down in the order? 

If you can convince TA to give up the leadoff spot, Yoan-TA-10D works fine. TA's high contact/low walk rate profiles better at #2 anyway. Yoan getting a lot of walks and doubles is ideal for #1.

vs LHP: Yoan, TA, 10D, Eloy, Vaughn, Yaz, Robert, Colas, Andrus

vs RHP, TA, Vaughn, Yaz, Eloy, Robert, 10D, Yoan, Colas, Andrus

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

That sounds exactly like the kind of guy who should be batting 6th-7th

If you can convince TA to give up the leadoff spot, Yoan-TA-10D works fine. TA's high contact/low walk rate profiles better at #2 anyway. Yoan getting a lot of walks and doubles is ideal for #1.

vs LHP: Yoan, TA, 10D, Eloy, Vaughn, Yaz, Robert, Colas, Andrus

vs RHP, TA, Vaughn, Yaz, Eloy, Robert, 10D, Yoan, Colas, Andrus

I agree with you that TA would be a better #2 or even #3 ideally. However Pedro isn't going to move TA out of the leadup spot anytime this year and screw with TA's head or the team's great team morale he has already quickly changed and recreated prior to the previous POS manager.

I agree Yoan needs to bat higher but I think at #2 where he has batted before and especially now with his high OBP and contact rate. 

The whole here key is Robert. If Robert can once and for all learn to be a more patient and disciplined early in the count, he could be a killer at #3. Imagine if TA and Yoan get on consistently before Luis. With any type of player discipline, Luis could be seeing more great pitches in the zone to crush, which we all know he can do on balls in the zone versus out of the zone. I get it's only four games, but TA is .389 BA/450 OBP and Yoan is .444 BA/.474 OBP. Robert's at .263BA/.263OBP would go up big time if he was behind two guys getting on more often and a Eloy and Vaughn hitting behind Robert. However the bottom line is #2 is not a good spot for Robert.

I am confident Grifol will figure out the best Sox lineup. He is a rookie manager and it's only his 4th game. The POS manager from last year had two years of making lineups and couldn't ever figure it out, so let's be patient with Pedro.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robert is a streaky hitter. He never won't be. He'll carry you for three weeks but he'll also look a little lost at times.

If the coaching staff they assembled can’t get him to develop some pitch recognition and plate discipline, he’ll never gain that skill. 

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yep.  Frankly, Robert has looked lost in the box for the vast majority of his MLB career, yet he's been 22% above average during that time.  Just goes to show you the kind of upside this guy has if he can stay healthy and if things ever do really click for him offensively.  

I don't care that much about roster construction but I would just say we don't really know that much yet. Last year we were 3-1 and had one of our only big offensive explosions against detroit. 

Moncada has 2 home runs which is like last years total so I do think this is a good sign (as is YAZ!) but you know. Keep him at 5, move him up, whatever. not like he's batting 9th.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Tim Anderson has a lower career OBP than Robert, should that mean he shouldn't be in the top 3?

I thought Moncada should have been in the #3 hole before the season started, based on what he showed in the WBC.  He has a higher ceiling then Benintendi. 

I would go Anderson, Robert, Moncada, Eloy, Grandal, Vaughn, Benintendi, Andrus/Gonzalez, Colas.   

Robert will come around, and should steal a lot of bases.  I leave him #2.  

I'm putting the 2 slowest guys together in Grandal and Vaughn.  Grandal is hitting well enough to reprise his 2021 season.  You could swap him with Benintendi if you wanted to. I just think his power and OBP will play better in the 5 spot. 

Colas deserves to hit higher, but I'm just splitting up the lefties and so I don't have 3 RHs in a row at 9, 1, 2.  

I wouldn't hesitate to hit Zavala in the same spot as Grandal.  His bat has been amazing.