Óscar Colás reportedly being promoted, expected to join club tomorrow

Sleepy Harold

7 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Colas deserves to be back in Chicago.  But now the timing is kind of odd. If Colas returns and hopefully is permanent in RF, where does that put Eloy?  I would have hoped he was playing some in RF to try and increase his trade value at the deadline. If he returns to only DH his value drops even lower.  It seems like Eloy will not be traded as just a DH but maybe some team sees him playing in the outfield or the Sox just figure he is a permanent DH.

We don't even know if Pedro sees Colás as an everyday player.  I still expect plenty of Sheets and Eloy, because this dumb org can't get out of its own way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 1:39 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

I hope we see the Colas we thought we were going to get in April, it looks like he’s ready based on his last few weeks in Charlotte. 
Let’s hope we’ve seen the last of Frazier, he was terrible yesterday and on top of it was working on his batting stance between pitches while out in right field, that’s a no-no and I like the story that Beckham told yesterday about one day he was doing the same thing and Paul Konerko chewed him out telling him don’t ever let me see you doing that again.

Agree entirely. Frazier was over-matched by major league pitching. Looked like a wimpy red headed leprechaun up there. Colas has a chance to run into one and do some damage. Sox need to light up the scoreboard for the 4th !

Edited by tray
  • Like 2

So Colas will start / play CF when they rest Robert (they should rest him once before the All Star Game) as the only other player on the roster capable of playing CF.

Wonder if they are trying to acclimate Perez with the staff before they attempt to trade Grandal. Zavala plus 2 DHs attempting to catch is not optimal roster construction. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 5:35 PM, Tnetennba said:

We don't even know if Pedro sees Colás as an everyday player.  I still expect plenty of Sheets and Eloy, because this dumb org can't get out of its own way.

We don’t need to see Sheets in right field any longer, if we keep him I’d use him to spell Vaughn once in awhile when there’s a tough righty pitcher opponent. 
BTW, Vaughn hasn’t been terrible this year but I’ve been a bit disappointed in him, I thought he would hit better with more power, his fielding has been decent and down through the years I’ve seen slower players. I’d give him the rest of this year and 2024 and if his production doesn’t improve the organization should trade him.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We don’t need to see Sheets in right field any longer, if we keep him I’d use him to spell Vaughn once in awhile when there’s a tough righty pitcher opponent. 
BTW, Vaughn hasn’t been terrible this year but I’ve been a bit disappointed in him, I thought he would hit better with more power, his fielding has been decent and down through the years I’ve seen slower players. I’d give him the rest of this year and 2024 and if his production doesn’t improve the organization should trade him.

AV's bat has been OK, but for a guy that offers literally nothing other than the bat at a premium offensive position, you need him to be much better than an 11% above average hitter.  He's been pretty disappointing. 

• Like 2

I though AV was turning a bit of a corner with regards to consistently elevating the ball, but his expected slash line based on his batted ball data is pretty much exactly what his real line is. He's hitting a few more balls in the air relative to his first seasons, but it's still not enough to make him a good hitter instead of just a decent one.

As noted, he's -6 runs on the bases and -8 with the glove so far, hard to produce much value as a 1B unless you're better than a wRC+ of 111. He's on pace for 1 fWAR, and that feels pretty accurate, just another guy, not even an average regular.

4 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

From what I've seen, Colas doesn't have the pitch recognition to be successful at the MLB level. Seems to be the definition of a 4A player. 

Hopefully he has everyday playing time in August and September. Let’s at least find out. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 9:24 PM, Soxfest said:

Hopefully he will be better

I think he will be. The first time around back in April was probably too much pressure. Hopefully now he's had time to improve and reflect on what he did wrong, in order to make this second chance, the official start to his successful career. Regardless of whether he struggles or not, he needs to play daily and quit throwing Sheets in RF. 

• Hawk 1

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Those trades sucked but that is not writing off a player

I picked those guys because I thought that was exactly what they did with them, write them off and then decide that its no big loss if they trade them. Semien? Just a utility guy, no big future. Bassitt? Only has a fastball, probably a bullpen guy. Narvaez - bad defensively, will clearly never learn. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I picked those guys because I thought that was exactly what they did with them, write them off and then decide that its no big loss if they trade them. Semien? Just a utility guy, no big future. Bassitt? Only has a fastball, probably a bullpen guy. Narvaez - bad defensively, will clearly never learn. 

I mean yeah, they definitely picked wrong in the Johnson/Semien/Sanchez battle.

Omar's a bad example since he was a starter here for 2 years. They just can't work with anyone on defense so they wanted to move on, cause they're bad at coaching. Phegley might be a better example here?

Bassitt, yeah, dumb. Toss Montas in there. Luis Gonzalez. There's a lot to choose from.

But I'm talking about Lenyn Sosa, Oscar Colas, etc. where they come up and because they aren't demolishing the ball, people want them gone. My dad never wants to see Lenyn Sosa again, but wants Remillard as the everyday second baseman moving forward.

Following either one through the minors, you know that Sosa needs at-bats to adjust and that Remy (barring MLB growth) is likely destined to be a utility. Which would be just as cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean yeah, they definitely picked wrong in the Johnson/Semien/Sanchez battle.

Omar's a bad example since he was a starter here for 2 years. They just can't work with anyone on defense so they wanted to move on, cause they're bad at coaching. Phegley might be a better example here?

Bassitt, yeah, dumb. Toss Montas in there. Luis Gonzalez. There's a lot to choose from.

But I'm talking about Lenyn Sosa, Oscar Colas, etc. where they come up and because they aren't demolishing the ball, people want them gone. My dad never wants to see Lenyn Sosa again, but wants Remillard as the everyday second baseman moving forward.

Following either one through the minors, you know that Sosa needs at-bats to adjust and that Remy (barring MLB growth) is likely destined to be a utility. Which would be just as cool.

On a functioning team your stars play like stars and you can work in younger players, sometimes over the course of years, in order to mold them into solid big leaguers. On our team, our stars don't play like stars (other than Robert) so it puts too much pressure on young guys that need MLB development time.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

On a functioning team your stars play like stars and you can work in younger players, sometimes over the course of years, in order to mold them into solid big leaguers. On our team, our stars don't play like stars (other than Robert) so it puts too much pressure on young guys that need MLB development time.

Alternatively, you also need to give guys who are coming up enough time to get through their struggles, as well as the tools to get better. For many players, that can be a year or even a couple years of coaching. If you're bringing up several guys from AA ball and needing them to be impact players right away in order to compete, the odds are not in your favor. 

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is a lot of projection.  I’m not defending Hahn but every trade that has been made by this front office is not based on the fact that the org has given up on the players traded away. 

I actually think this handling of colas is pretty decent.

Gave him a shot, was horrible, sent him down, bring him up with success. Not bad.

You see the braves making early call ups on guys but also always letting them know they are in competition and need to improve. Vaughn Grissom was damn good last year. They took Arcia to start season over him. They had a good catcher, they traded for a much better one.

It does a lot. You can't ever stop in baseball like the white sox do constantly under Hahn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I actually think this handling of colas is pretty decent.

Gave him a shot, was horrible, sent him down, bring him up with success. Not bad.

You see the braves making early call ups on guys but also always letting them know they are in competition and need to improve. Vaughn Grissom was damn good last year. They took Arcia to start season over him. They had a good catcher, they traded for a much better one.

It does a lot. You can't ever stop in baseball like the white sox do constantly under Hahn.

I would note that the backup options in the case that either Sosa or Colas weren’t ready…were terrible. Eloy and Sheets in RF were things we insisted should never happen again. Elvis Andrus as the everyday 2b? No backup CF on the roster? These were just bad plans. If you’re going to rely on aggressively promoted rookies, you better have several good backup plans.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Our fanbase is elite at writing off prospects before 100 plate appearances.

I don't trust the org at all to help him. The entire lineup has pitch recognition issues. I've never seen a lineup swing at sliders low and away like the Sox do. A few individuals like Baez and Soriano? Sure. Not the entire lineup. 

Edited by baseballgalaly

18 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

I don't trust the org at all to help him. The entire lineup has pitch recognition issues. I've never seen a lineup swing at sliders low and away like the Sox do. A few individuals like Baez and Soriano? Sure. Not the entire lineup. 

While I'm not gonna disagree on the scouting report for the Sox being exactly what you're saying, we're literally seeing Luis Robert go from "slider him to death" to "baseball god"

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

While I'm not gonna disagree on the scouting report for the Sox being exactly what you're saying, we're literally seeing Luis Robert go from "slider him to death" to "baseball god"

Robert is still really streaky. Let's not forget that just a few weeks ago his average was in the high .240s because he was swinging at garbage sliders. 

Robert is on a heater right now, let's see if he goes into another funk or not. 

Edited by baseballgalaly

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ironically Luis Robert is having his worst season against sliders according to the Fangraphs tables.

But, he’s swinging about 10% less, so presumably that means he’s pushing pitchers not to throw him as many.