Moncada

soxfan49

According to the injury report at White Sox.com a few days ago, Moncada is not expected back before August.

I've learned very quickly that Grifol like Rick Hahn knowns nothing about injuries and expected returns. Anytime they talk they are guessing.

If the Sox had any sense, instead of these idiots trying to answer medical questions, they'd drag out the doctors and trainers to speak with the media directly without any BS.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

According to the injury report at White Sox.com a few days ago, Moncada is not expected back before August.

I've learned very quickly that Grifol like Rick Hahn knowns nothing about injuries and expected returns. Anytime they talk they are guessing.

If the Sox had any sense, instead of these idiots trying to answer medical questions, they'd drag out the doctors and trainers to speak with the media directly without any BS.

The key unanswered questions are:

1. When and who (Sox and or the player’s independent doctor) in consultation with Yoan will make a decision to undergo surgery if this lengthy absence does not completely resolve his back issues? AND
  2. Will the postponing of this decision until August or beyond impact his 2024 availability?

Would like to hear @ptatc’s take on the typical athlete post surgery recovery time.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that Burger starts hitting. I would think if Burger produces the rest of the year Moncada won't be on the team in 2024.  The White Sox should be able to move Moncada in the off season. Even if they have to eat most of his salary, so be it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm hoping that Burger starts hitting. I would think if Burger produces the rest of the year Moncada won't be on the team in 2024.  The White Sox should be able to move Moncada in the off season. Even if they have to eat most of his salary, so be it.

Sox aren’t eating Moncadas salary to move him. He is on the 2024 roster. 

27 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I would agree Sox will have to eat a big chunk of change. For that reason, I think Sox will not move him. 

28 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Nobody is going to want him unless we foot the bill, and if were going to do that we might as well keep him and hope he can regain some form of what he was in 2019 and 2021. Nothing would suck more, or be more White Sox for that matter, than paying Moncada $15-20 million to put up a 4 WAR season on someone else's team.

It’s probably safe to call Moncada an overpaid bust at this point.  It’s a sad waste of talent but it is what it is.  He’s still the best defensive 3B on the team when he can play, emphasis on when.  His contract makes him pretty immovable, but it’s not like Burger or Remillard or Romy are better.  And I think we’ve finally seen enough of Burger to put any expectations of him being a productive everyday player to rest. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It’s probably safe to call Moncada an overpaid bust at this point.  It’s a sad waste of talent but it is what it is.  He’s still the best defensive 3B on the team when he can play, emphasis on when.  His contract makes him pretty immovable, but it’s not like Burger or Remillard or Romy are better.  And I think we’ve finally seen enough of Burger to put any expectations of him being a productive everyday player to rest. 

He's put up 13.3 WAR and if you go $5 million per WAR he has been worth $66.5 Million. We have paid him somewhere around $37 million so far if I am looking at it right. Next season were talking about $61 million and assume he is bought out its exactly $66 million.

Seems like even if he is on the team next season and is what he is now, we will have at least gotten what we paid for. All things considered, I would still consider him a bust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

He's put up 13.3 WAR and if you go $5 million per WAR he has been worth $66.5 Million. We have paid him somewhere around $37 million so far if I am looking at it right. Next season were talking about $61 million and assume he is bought out its exactly $66 million.

Seems like even if he is on the team next season and is what he is now, we will have at least gotten what we paid for. All things considered, I would still consider him a bust.

Problem there, is, baseball is a 'what have you done for me lately?' game. And Yoan lately has done....well...very little. 3 of the last 4 seasons, under 1 WAR, for a guy at his salary, is crazy.

image.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Problem there, is, baseball is a 'what have you done for me lately?' game. And Yoan lately has done....well...very little. 3 of the last 4 seasons, under 1 WAR, for a guy at his salary, is crazy.

image.png

I wouldn't count 2020, he had .6 WAR in 52 games it seems a safe bet he would have gone over 1 had it been a regular season.

Either way, don't get me wrong here I am not trying to argue for Moncada he has been a major disappointment for someone who was supposed to be the superstar of this rebuild. All I am saying is, at least the money spent on him appears to be a wash when all said and done.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I wouldn't count 2020, he had .6 WAR in 52 games it seems a safe bet he would have gone over 1 had it been a regular season.

Either way, don't get me wrong here I am not trying to argue for Moncada he has been a major disappointment for someone who was supposed to be the superstar of this rebuild. All I am saying is, at least the money spent on him appears to be a wash when all said and done.

True, sometimes I like to forget 2020 was what it was. I guess I'm just at the point where, it would behoove both sides to just move on. We're not going to ever get the player we thought we were going to get. We thought we were getting a top tier talent, and we got a pretty good talent who spends a lot of time on the IL.

Unfortunately, we have no answers at 3B, because.....well the organization flat out sucks at talent development and acquisition.

• Like 1

The former #1 prospect in MLB and the future 2B for your Chicago White Sox.

The key piece to the 2016 blockbuster rebuild trade of Chris Sale.

Last two seasons 2022 thru current 2023

Games played 142 of 249. 57%

Slash line: .221/.279/.364/.643

Moncada's 2024 salary will be increased to 24.8 million. 

Just another example of the brilliance of Rick Hahn. 

• Haha 1