Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Then we have a SS problem.

If you're going to build a team correctly, you need to shore up catcher and middle infield first.

If they were actually considering Sal Perez...it means they're trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

Seems to me we have already watched that show on a loop from 2007-2019.

Isn't Ramos a third baseman?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't recall Gavin ever being Top Ten in homers for all of MLB at any point in his career.

He has a .214 BA, .279 OBP and is 27. Yes he has tower power but so did Gavin and a million other players entering the MLB.

It is going to be very hard to almost impossible for him to maintain his numbers if he can't get on base or hit for an average. Maybe the Rays manage to unlock that in him best of luck but I'll take the frontline pitching prospect and run

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I wanted to move Tim but look at Dejong return the value isn't there. Teams want guys who have been playing well for their title run.

Rays severely overpaid for control on a guy who is unlikely to replicate his current season moving forward. If they can fix his approach great all the more power to them but I'll take my chances on a frontline pitching prospect over a 27 year old 1B/DH whose approach at the plate needs work.

He was traded to Miami, not Tampa

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

If Elvis gets the majority of the playing time at 2B the rest of the season I am going to lose my s%*#.

Don't worry, Rick has you covered.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/phillies-designate-josh-harrison-for-assignment.html

Given how rosters shake out in the deadline aftermath, Harrison might be a candidate for a DFA claim, perhaps on a non-contender just looking for a player to fill a roster hole.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The 40 man has tumbleweeds blowing through it. Burger was on the 40 man anyway. Sox could absorb 5 or 6 40 man guys and not bat an eye.

25 minutes ago, raBBit said:

What about this roster gives you any concerns about 40 man spots? 

I was much more noting the fact that this clears out a 40 man spot for the Marlins, so it was someone they might have pressure to move.

5 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Of course not.  I have zero faith in them to develop Eder without arm trouble either though.

We have the worst pitching staff in AA and AAA in MLB. This isn't even a debate.

We have botched the comebacks or initial minor league progress badly with Rodon, Crochet, Kopech and Hendriks.

We are really horrible at fixing or tweaking pitchers struggling like Cease and Kopech.

We DFA Diekman and the Rays fixed him and he is doing great.

So yeah why in the world would anyone trust this dysfunctional org with pitching knowledge or development skills.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

We have the worst pitching staff in AA and AAA in MLB. This isn't even a debate.

We have botched the comebacks or initial minor league progress badly with Rodon, Crochet, Kopech and Hendriks.

We are really horrible at fixing or tweaking pitchers struggling like Cease and Kopech.

We DFA Diekman and the Rays fixed him and he is doing great.

So yeah why in the world would anyone trust this dysfunctional org with pitching knowledge or development skills.

You're the one still posting about the team if there's no point just stop paying attention. Others still want to watch this deadline develop.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Love Eder, hate this trade.  A top 10 HR hitter under control for a number of years should either get more or be kept to build around (i would build around)

Either way Eder is a great get and gonna be a real good one 

Well said. I'd trade eloy over burger 99 times out of 100. However I value attitude, health, and results in ballplayers....clearly something the sox don't. Good get, bad trade. This team, at least for now, is even more unlikable. Something I didn't think was possible. They may be at the bottom of the league in most categories, but they'll certainly be number 1 in attendance reduction. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

He has a .214 BA, .279 OBP and is 27. Yes he has tower power but so did Gavin and a million other players entering the MLB.

It is going to be very hard to almost impossible for him to maintain his numbers if he can't get on base or hit for an average. Maybe the Rays manage to unlock that in him best of luck but I'll take the frontline pitching prospect and run

The White Sox have sort of developed Sale (not really), Rodon and Chris Bassitt in a decade.

That's it.

And they will probably be implementing a new pitching lab (finally) with Katz (likely) leaving...so not much trust there in Hahn and Getz.

Go back earlier you can add McCarthy and Hudson....so five successes in almost two decades.

14 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

He was already making strides in walks. He had 11 in July to lead the Sox. Plus his June was terrible. His July was pretty damn good . I think an .889 OPS and despite the low BA he got that .100 pts difference between BA and OBP that I always look for.

But Sox sold high for an iffy fielder with a really bad injury past. I'll miss Burger bombs and that special sound when he barreled it up at one of the highest rates in baseball.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You're the one still posting about the team if there's no point just stop paying attention. Others still want to watch this deadline develop.

Take a chill pill.

I have a right to reply to the poster that said he doesn't have any faith with the Sox to handle the new pitching prospect Jake Eder and I am simply agreeing with him. If you don't like it, then keep your stupid comments to yourself or don't come to SoxTalk.

I am not stopping you from the watching the deadline, so drop your crappy attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Correct in my old age I always get the two florida teams confused not sure why

I should have just let it go but this trade has bugged me to be honest. Have to hit home runs to win on the South Side. Hope most here are right and it is the right trade.

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox have sort of developed Sale (not really), Rodon and Chris Bassitt in a decade.

That's it.

And they will probably be implementing a new pitching lab (finally) with Katz (likely) leaving...so not much trust there in Hahn and Getz.

Go back earlier you can add McCarthy and Hudson....so five successes in almost two decades.

I just each trade on its merits not whom the organization has or has not developed.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This one makes me sad even though it may turn out OK. Jake was fun, and he was starting to take walks.

I don't live month to month with players. He is going to have to demonstrate improved plate discipline a lot longer than four games (five of those eleven walks in july happened in his last four games) before I am convinced he is a totally different player than I've seen for the rest of the first three years of his career.

• bmags unpinned this topic