Jake Burger Appreciation Thread

Quin

Jake was my favorite player on this team (didn't say he was the best player, that's obviously Robert).  The guy could hit the ball harder than anyone, had a great attitude, played any position he was asked and improved as he played more, and was generally a like-able guy.

I hope he goes on a tear and leads the Marlins to the playoffs this season, and has a successful career.  I'll be cheering him on.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Maybe Bob told him he was getting canned and this was his prevenge.

Kenny pulled off a Paniagua and flipped off the fans on his way out by trading away a popular player. 

Edited by wegner
  • Hawk 1

6 hours ago, oldsox said:
  • I still laugh at the story about how the Marlins new/Ng GM hoodwinked Kenny.  What a joke.  Not as bad as the Tatis debacle, but it's right up there.

The Marlins/Burger are right there on the cusp of haunting the Sox throughout the playoffs as well...at least it would be nice to have a rooting interest in the postseason.

Somehow the idea of rooting for Abreu and the Astros just falls completely flat.

• Like 1

I was so against drafting him but learned to like him. Typical White Sox to trade their only player close to being loveable so to speak. Robert is sensational but not loveable yet cause of all the injuries he incurs. 

Somebody said Burger has cut down his strikeouts with Marlins. I wish strikeouts now were what they were back in the day. If you struck out in a game you felt like an utter failure. If you got two strikes on you at the plate you choked up or at least concentrated on putting the damn ball in play. Not now, KKKK.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Marlins/Burger are right there on the cusp of haunting the Sox throughout the playoffs as well...at least it would be nice to have a rooting interest in the postseason.

Somehow the idea of rooting for Abreu and the Astros just falls completely flat.

The Astros were always my favorite NL team.  It’s been really hard to root then since they hired Dusty Baker.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Somebody said Burger has cut down his strikeouts with Marlins. I wish strikeouts now were what they were back in the day. If you struck out in a game you felt like an utter failure. If you got two strikes on you at the plate you choked up or at least concentrated on putting the damn ball in play. Not now, KKKK.

That's one reason why Carl Everett was one of my favorites.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

With the Padres imploding, the Marlins are about to be your new Yasiel Puig/Royals/Padres, aren't they?

A true parting gift from Kenny.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was so against drafting him but learned to like him. Typical White Sox to trade their only player close to being loveable so to speak. Robert is sensational but not loveable yet cause of all the injuries he incurs. 

Jim Spencer of the Sox used to choke up all the time with two strikes.

Regarding Burger, this is small consolation but he may help get the Marlins into the playoffs at the expense of the Cubs. That's not all bad. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 5:11 PM, caulfield12 said:

I've enjoyed watching the Marlins.  Let me guess the is no love for possibly seeing Madrigal in the post season?

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Jim Spencer of the Sox used to choke up all the time with two strikes.

Regarding Burger, this is small consolation but he may help get the Marlins into the playoffs at the expense of the Cubs. That's not all bad. 

LOL I can never forget Jim's replacement Lamar Johnson.  Spencer was a gold glove. Lamar you'd think was one of Kenny's type of player.

35 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I've enjoyed watching the Marlins.  Let me guess the is no love for possibly seeing Madrigal in the post season?

With the Padres and Reds (likely) eliminated....Burger is the last really interesting case study of inept Sox front office work.

Madrigal will never actively cheer for, certainly while he's on the Cubs.