Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

This guy may be the biggest clown in baseball history.  Like no one gave a f*** if he spent 15 seconds looking at the eclipse, but the dude is such a tool that he needed to claim he didn’t have the time because he needed to watch video in preparation for the game tonight.  And then after all that, he actually goes out and looks at the god damn eclipse.  This dude would literally say anything to help convince the world he is not completely incompetent.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This guy may be the biggest clown in baseball history.  Like no one gave a f*** if he spent 15 seconds looking at the eclipse, but the dude is such a tool that he needed to claim he didn’t have the time because he needed to watch video in preparation for the game tonight.  And then after all that, he actually goes out and looks at the god damn eclipse.  This dude would literally say anything to help convince the world he is not completely incompetent.

As I said, he's Jim Boylen 2.0. I wouldn't let him run a soda stand, let alone a MLB team. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I'd like to see the ownership group rebel and fire Jerry Reinsdorf!! 

Not possible, the minority owners have no say in the running of the franchise. It is specifically written into JR's contract.

He can only be removed if he is found guilty of illegal activities or financial malfeasance or if illness/injury makes him unable to fulfill his duties. 

An example: If all the minority partners want to sell but JR says "no" the team isn't sold. Period. 

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Not possible, the minority owners have no say in the running of the franchise. It is specifically written into JR's contract.

He can only be removed if he is found guilty of illegal activities or financial malfeasance or if illness/injury makes him unable to fulfill his duties. 

An example: If all the minority partners want to sell but JR says "no" the team isn't sold. Period. 

Anything keeping the minority owners from having had enough of this and wanting out. Yea, they're making money but being part of this is just embarrassing!

2 hours ago, Saufley said:

Anything keeping the minority owners from having had enough of this and wanting out. Yea, they're making money but being part of this is just embarrassing!

I dunno. Give me the millions of dollars they’re making and I probably don’t care how the team is doing either.

Edited by Milkman delivers

2 hours ago, Saufley said:

Mellody Hobson must be pissed...at least she will be until the new stadium plans are set in stone.

That's the ONLY way the team will see any increase in franchise valuation in the coming years.

10 hours ago, Saufley said:

The minority owners all gotta be getting up there in age and settling their estates.  I wonder who's buying up all those shares.  

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

Who is a decent replacement for Pedro?  Patrick Leyland will probably be an MLB manager someday down the road in a few years. 

Pedro is on the clock, tick tick tick.

This once again brings up the question...who is taking the job? Unless it's another internal hire (likely given the Sox) who from the outside thinks this is a good task to take on? Everyone talks about AJ/Ozzie wanting back in, getting a shot to manage. But those guys are smart enough to know sometimes you only get one bite at the apple. There is no light at the end of the tunnel with the Sox right now, they are going to be bad for the next 2-3 seasons, at minimum. Who is signing up for that? 

36 minutes ago, Tony said:

This once again brings up the question...who is taking the job? Unless it's another internal hire (likely given the Sox) who from the outside thinks this is a good task to take on? Everyone talks about AJ/Ozzie wanting back in, getting a shot to manage. But those guys are smart enough to know sometimes you only get one bite at the apple. There is no light at the end of the tunnel with the Sox right now, they are going to be bad for the next 2-3 seasons, at minimum. Who is signing up for that? 

I think an internal hire would love the job. And you can look good pretty quick even if you lose 90 games. You are replacing 62-110 who says nonsensical things before and after every loss.  I can't see Ozzie wanting it, or AJ if there doesn't appear to be a chance to be any good, but anyone at this point is better than Pedro.

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think an internal hire would love the job. And you can look good pretty quick even if you lose 90 games. You are replacing 62-110 who says nonsensical things before and after every loss.  I can't see Ozzie wanting it, or AJ if there doesn't appear to be a chance to be any good, but anyone at this point is better than Pedro.

Don't totally agree. A "spitfire" manager has their act get old really quick when they continue to lose 90+ games. 

Listen, we're all in agreement Pedro is a terrible manager, and shouldn't be managing this team. I also don't think it's making a huge difference in the W/L column, and almost every manager would have a 1-9 record with this collection of "talent" on the roster. But if you're bringing someone else in, it should be someone you want leading this team for the next 5-6 years ideally, and I don't know if a qualified manager would take this job given where the franchise is at this point. 

If I were him I'd tell the Sox to pound sand...but I'd get on the phone and see if Ricky would take the job back. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Don't totally agree. A "spitfire" manager has their act get old really quick when they continue to lose 90+ games. 

Listen, we're all in agreement Pedro is a terrible manager, and shouldn't be managing this team. I also don't think it's making a huge difference in the W/L column, and almost every manager would have a 1-9 record with this collection of "talent" on the roster. But if you're bringing someone else in, it should be someone you want leading this team for the next 5-6 years ideally, and I don't know if a qualified manager would take this job given where the franchise is at this point. 

If I were him I'd tell the Sox to pound sand...but I'd get on the phone and see if Ricky would take the job back. 

I think Jirschele would be perfect. Young guy, let him make some mistakes when they are bad. If he's half as good as they hoped he would be, he should be ready to be really good when the team at least might win games regularly.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie would take it. Fire pedro when they hit 2 - 20. Tell ozzie it's yours fir the season but come fall they'll do an exhaustive search. He would of course be included, and what he gets from this team will be noted. They wont do this but it makes sense to me. 

I would take Ozzie over Grifol but the game has passed Ozzie up.

I can't imagine that there are many good candidates out there that would want to manage this train wreck. The roster sucks, the minor league system sucks and the owner refuses to spend money.  Much like the roster, we are stuck with rejects. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I don't see why anyone with a decent resume would take this job - especially from the outside. The 26 man roster is as bad as I have ever seen from a White Sox team. The near term replacements and depth in the system is also weak...improving but still weak.  Its hard to even squint and see much at this point. At this point you kind of just have to ride Grifol as a total fall guy for a full season and than maybe they somehow luck into a few good deals and a couple guys coming up and some of the younger guys on the roster actually take the step forward, but any way you shake it - its going to be a few years before there are any signs of life.  This roster is awful but next year's will likely be nearly as awful, maybe a little more interest with people like Ramos and Montgomery on the roster and hopefully some of the younger arms starting to come up...and maybe Crochet showing he can handle workload of being a starter and perform consistently as a front line starter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Jirschele would be perfect. Young guy, let him make some mistakes when they are bad. If he's half as good as they hoped he would be, he should be ready to be really good when the team at least might win games regularly.

This - but if I were them - I would let Grifol play it out for this season than make the shift. They will still be bad next year and at least the stink is far more on Grifol and Jirschele can start with a roster with more guys who at least came through him in the system, etc.  

29 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Saw this on X. Grifol is a dead man walking if this is true.

If there's an ounce of truth to this, JR doesn't care about winning.  According to Bob, there's a decent chance Pedro only makes 6 figures. If you can't or aren't willing to pay less than $2 million for him to stop hurting your team, you don't care about winning.

35 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Saw this on X. Grifol is a dead man walking if this is true.

It has to be true. Its insanity that any professional sports team would allow a manager/head coach to keep their job after putting up one of the worst seasons in your franchises history when the expectation was to compete for the division.

The only thing that makes sense is JR didn't want to have to pay two managers.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

It has to be true. Its insanity that any professional sports team would allow a manager/head coach to keep their job after putting up one of the worst seasons in your franchises history when the expectation was to compete for the division.

The only thing that makes sense is JR didn't want to have to pay two managers.

It was equally insanity to appoint a manager/head coach with no previous experience of managing at MLB level, and who was overlooked by the team he was at (who were the worst in the division) for their vacant managers post when the White Sox were supposed to be in their 'competitive window' following the last rebuild.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If there's an ounce of truth to this, JR doesn't care about winning.  According to Bob, there's a decent chance Pedro only makes 6 figures. If you can't or aren't willing to pay less than $2 million for him to stop hurting your team, you don't care about winning.

I presume it is true - but I also presume JR knew darn well this year's team would be miserable and it was more of a - why waste perfectly good money when the new guy is clearly going to fail in '24 anyway. The greatest manager in the world maybe makes this team lose 95 games instead of 100-105.  And there are almost no buildable / pliable players on the MLB roster right now to really ruin (and I presume any decision(s) on Crochet's usage for example are really up to Getz). 

Plus do you want to start your manager 1 year in the hole when you know it is a 3 year pit.  So in reality - I think if I was JR - I wouldn't have made the move 1 season in either - would have given it 2 just knowing how ugly things were. Now if this was a legitimately good team and they intended to retool on the fly and spend big money - yeah, than you need to eat whatever Pedro gets paid.