Garfein's latest podcast...

Lip Man 1

Just got done watching it.

He and McGuffy think that the last two months will tell the Sox brass who really wants to play, who wants to step up and start doing things the right way.

Both said there are still issues with some guys in the clubhouse specifically named (again) Moncada and Grandal.  

Garfein said the only way the Sox get rid of Moncada is if they eat a lot of his salary which totals 29 million. McGuffy immediately pointed out that's the combined deals for Keuchel and Garcia. That if the Sox really want to they can DFA him and be rid of him. They have gotten rid of guys before.

Regarding Hahn, McGuffy thinks the only way he is gone is if he resigns he won't get fired (same as Kenny) Feels this failure he really worn on him. 

Again stated that Hahn was not allowed to do the rebuild the way he wanted to and that if he does comes back he somehow needs to get guarantees that he'll be allowed to do it his way without interference. 

Regarding the Salvy Perez rumors Garfein said if the Royals would eat a lot of his deal and the Sox could get him for 10 million a year to do it, but not if the Sox have to pay 20 million in 24 and 22 million in 25. He's now in his 30's. But would be a respected clubhouse voice and is a catcher. Garfein said the deal was close at the deadline but the teams couldn't agree with the minor league players going back to K.C.

Garfein said he's seen and been told that last year and this year in the draft if the Sox were deciding on guys who were pretty equal in talent and grit, they chose the guy with grit, who'll give effort for a full 162 games.

• Like 1

This "I can force the team to release me by my behavior started with Ozzie. They never should have let him out of the last year of his contract." Nicely played Grandahl if it works for you. 

Yeah that was a bit of trolling for the "this would never happen under Ozzie" fans. :gosox3:

Dipshit Hahn getting paid $5M to sit there and not do it 'his way' ... get the f*** outta here you whiny little b****. 

This is your team, you're in charge, you suck, you failed, you are the worst GM in professional sports, have one of the worst legacies in team history, but you can retire rich because you have an idiot boss.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Now that Burger was traded the team is stuck with Moncada for another year. If they traded/released Moncada who plays 3rd base?

Does it matter? AAA is now in Chicago. Target 2027 to start multiple championship opportunities. 

• Like 2

So much wrong with this.  Trading prospects for Salvy both acknowledges they think this group can still be salvaged and that they plan to compete next year.  And the Hahn the water-carrying is beyond pathetic.  Yes, he wasn’t allowed to sign the premier free agents and was forced La Russa, but he’s also responsible for the broader organization that wasn’t able to provide a pipeline of talent and wasted tens of millions of dollars on crap free agents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Now that Burger was traded the team is stuck with Moncada for another year. If they traded/released Moncada who plays 3rd base?

It doesn’t matter, they’re multiple years away from being a competitive team again

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So much wrong with this.  Trading prospects for Salvy both acknowledges they think this group can still be salvaged and that they plan to compete next year.  And the Hahn the water-carrying is beyond pathetic.  Yes, he wasn’t allowed to sign the premier free agents and was forced La Russa, but he’s also responsible for the broader organization that wasn’t able to provide a pipeline of talent and wasted tens of millions of dollars on crap free agents.

Seriously, it shows that they still don’t know what their plans are. They picked up a couple of “future” catchers in the trades. Unless Perez is meant primarily to mentor them, I don’t understand the potential move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Seriously, it shows that they still don’t know what their plans are. They picked up a couple of “future” catchers in the trades. Unless Perez is meant primarily to mentor them, I don’t understand the potential move.

Deposit, deposit, deposit. Add bodies, the more the merrier. 

29 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Yup, you’re 100% right.  There is no concrete plan, but they clearly think there is some path to contention next year.  I just don’t know how they think that’s even remotely possible with only one good starting pitcher in place.  Regardless, you don’t trade real prospects (or pay big dollars) for Salvy to be a mentor Lee and eventually Quero.  If they’d eat a massive chunk of his salary and take lottery ticket prospects then maybe, but I don’t see the Royals doing that.

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just got done watching it.

He and McGuffy think that the last two months will tell the Sox brass who really wants to play, who wants to step up and start doing things the right way.

Both said there are still issues with some guys in the clubhouse specifically named (again) Moncada and Grandal.  

Garfein said the only way the Sox get rid of Moncada is if they eat a lot of his salary which totals 29 million. McGuffy immediately pointed out that's the combined deals for Keuchel and Garcia. That if the Sox really want to they can DFA him and be rid of him. They have gotten rid of guys before.

Regarding Hahn, McGuffy thinks the only way he is gone is if he resigns he won't get fired (same as Kenny) Feels this failure he really worn on him. 

Again stated that Hahn was not allowed to do the rebuild the way he wanted to and that if he does comes back he somehow needs to get guarantees that he'll be allowed to do it his way without interference. 

Regarding the Salvy Perez rumors Garfein said if the Royals would eat a lot of his deal and the Sox could get him for 10 million a year to do it, but not if the Sox have to pay 20 million in 24 and 22 million in 25. He's now in his 30's. But would be a respected clubhouse voice and is a catcher. Garfein said the deal was close at the deadline but the teams couldn't agree with the minor league players going back to K.C.

Garfein said he's seen and been told that last year and this year in the draft if the Sox were deciding on guys who were pretty equal in talent and grit, they chose the guy with grit, who'll give effort for a full 162 games.

Garfien and McGuffey are basically Soxtalkers with a forum. How much extra special inside knowledge they have is anyone's guess. My guess would be not much. Thank goodness that Salvy Perez deal fell through.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Garfien and McGuffey are basically Soxtalkers with a forum. How much extra special inside knowledge they have is anyone's guess. My guess would be not much. Thank goodness that Salvy Perez deal fell through.

Garfien as pregame and postgame host is around the team all the time he is always referring to conversations he has had with players current and former. I'm guessing there's a lot more he knows that he isn't telling.

And this is a big change for him and I welcome it, in my mind he's no longer a house organ. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

They are stuck with Moncada in 2024 regardless because no one will take 29m off their hands unless you are attaching Montgomery or Schultz which is a non starter.

That being said, that doesn't necessarily mean Moncada will be playing much. Bryan Ramos is coming hard and fast for his job and Moncada is living on borrowed time regardless.

Ramos might not have Moncada's defensive ability, but he's absolutely better than Burger at 3B and Ramos will be a much more powerful offensive force than the post covid Moncada. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shago said:

Dipshit Hahn getting paid $5M to sit there and not do it 'his way' ... get the f*** outta here you whiny little b****. 

This is your team, you're in charge, you suck, you failed, you are the worst GM in professional sports, have one of the worst legacies in team history, but you can retire rich because you have an idiot boss.

William Macy played Hahn perfectly in Fargo, sans possibly an arrest when this ends.

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This thing about acquiring guys who care bothers me. This is MLB. I know the almighty dollar changes people but my gawd why do the Sox apparently have so many selfish players? Get a mean ass manager who will instill discipline (like a young Leyland) and kick some butt so to speak. This really disgusts me that the Sox have become a team full of selfish jerks. Acquiring Salvy will help but cmon. That's a desperation move. Wake up White Sox. Get your clubhouse in order for gosh sakes. This is appalling as a fan to hear this stuff. And if this is all true they shoulda kept Abreu at all costs. He has to be laughing his own butt off.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

This thing about acquiring guys who care bothers me. This is MLB. I know the almighty dollar changes people but my gawd why do the Sox apparently have so many selfish players? Get a mean ass manager who will instill discipline (like a young Leyland) and kick some butt so to speak. This really disgusts me that the Sox have become a team full of selfish jerks. Acquiring Salvy will help but cmon. That's a desperation move. Wake up White Sox. Get your clubhouse in order for gosh sakes. This is appalling as a fan to hear this stuff. And if this is all true they shoulda kept Abreu at all costs. He has to be laughing his own butt off.

He has the worst fWAR in baseball still.

Vaughn would be stuck out of position or have been traded...which is fine...but hard to imagine the clubhouse with Abreu on a 2-3 year deal now scuffling like he is but still trying to lead.  Nothing would be solved with Moncada Grandal etc.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Garfien as pregame and postgame host is around the team all the time he is always referring to conversations he has had with players current and former. I'm guessing there's a lot more he knows that he isn't telling.

And this is a big change for him and I welcome it, in my mind he's no longer a house organ. 

I know he's around the team all the time but I would imagine he may get a lot of "this is off the record" or "you didnt hear it from me" stuff. He also doesn't speak spanish as far as  I know and that would leave him vulnerable to only getting one side of a story .

If you have to use an interpreter  you might not get the type of inside info that you would getting it straight from the horses mouth. This is the danger  zone that most reporters fell into who only speak English in a sport where many of the players speak spanish but the scuttlebutt you hear is often from only those who speak English. You can see how it might be slanted against the non english speaking players.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, shago said:

There's no way in hell Hahn is making 5m a year. I bet it's a whole lot closer to 1m flat. After all, that's the tradeoff....you get to be a GM (at least in name, but youre still subject to JRs orders) and endless job security in exchange for a relatively low salary compared to your peers and the owner still calls the shots.

No different than a player who takes a low AAV in exchange for a longer term.

Even 1m a year or 1.5m a year for 10+ years is a great gig for a WH press secretary so Hahn is still coming out ahead.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I listened to this. Near the end Ozzie said he loved JR, said he respected KW, then , and I couldn’t totally understand him, but thought he said he didn’t respect Hahn but thought he’s made a couple of nice moves during his tenure. Did I get that right.? 

Different episode than what the original post is talking about.