Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

Driving to the game last night I listened to the SCORE radio station. The announcer said that JR has no intention of extending the present lease. He definitely wants a new stadium. If that is true I know enough about JR that he knows where the new stadium will be. Whether its in the city, suburbs or out of state he knows where he wants the stadium to be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Driving to the game last night I listened to the SCORE radio station. The announcer said that JR has no intention of extending the present lease. He definitely wants a new stadium. If that is true I know enough about JR that he knows where the new stadium will be. Whether its in the city, suburbs or out of state he knows where he wants the stadium to be.

It won't matter JR won't be around in six years. 

• Love 1

The Rate is till in real good shape. It would be criminal to knock it down in another 7 years. I remember in the early 1980s the City of St. Louis sold there baseball stadium to the baseball Cardinals for next to nothing. Maybe the State of Illinois will sell the stadium to the White Sox ownership.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The Rate is till in real good shape. It would be criminal to knock it down in another 7 years. I remember in the early 1980s the City of St. Louis sold there baseball stadium to the baseball Cardinals for next to nothing. Maybe the State of Illinois will sell the stadium to the White Sox ownership.

Interesting idea. I wonder if it's like the Panama Canal. The cost of repairs and keeping it modern was more than what it was worth. Would JR want to own an old stadium or generate revenue out of someone else's building rent free? 

On 8/22/2023 at 10:46 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

Lol Our Chuck, Pods*, and Ozzie burying Eloy on the postgame.

On 8/22/2023 at 10:53 PM, fathom said:

They destroyed Yoan on the Sox podcast.  

Not going to make excuses for these two--they're highly paid professionals who shouldn't need someone else to keep them in line.

That said, they didn't become problems until TLR arrived and there weren't any rules because he was too drunk to enforce any. This is an organizational failure on so many levels. They knew these guys well enough when they were here under Ricky to know that they wouldn't mesh well with TLR. Nobody will ever convince me that it's a coincidence that so many position players' stats got so much worse shortly after TLR arrived.

It also begs the question as to whether the Sox did their due diligence on these two before trading for them. Were there red flags that they ignored? Was there a reason the Red Sox and Cubs were so willing to give them up?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Not going to make excuses for these two--they're highly paid professionals who shouldn't need someone else to keep them in line.

That said, they didn't become problems until TLR arrived and there weren't any rules because he was too drunk to enforce any. This is an organizational failure on so many levels. They knew these guys well enough when they were here under Ricky to know that they wouldn't mesh well with TLR. Nobody will ever convince me that it's a coincidence that so many position players' stats got so much worse shortly after TLR arrived.

It also begs the question as to whether the Sox did their due diligence on these two before trading for them. Were there red flags that they ignored? Was there a reason the Red Sox and Cubs were so willing to give them up?

White Sox, do due diligence? 

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The CHGO and White Sox Talk podcasts had two real different tones on this.

• White Sox Talk basically made everything sound like it was doomed from the start and everything was fool's gold.
  • CHGO took a stance that the team clearly had talent and could have done something if not for organizational dysfunction, but Jerry opened the floodgates with TLR.

I'm kinda taking CHGO because other White Sox Talk has just been full of s%*# the past few years, unless I'm just imagining Chuck's "WE JUST GOT EDWIN FREAKING ENCARNACION!" podcast.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Stop blaming Tony LaRussa for everything. Dear God, it's not his fault. These are soft, lazy players. And they were soft and lazy well before LaRussa got here. Ageism much?

1 minute ago, Quin said:

The CHGO and White Sox Talk podcasts had two real different tones on this.

• White Sox Talk basically made everything sound like it was doomed from the start and everything was fool's gold.
  • CHGO took a stance that the team clearly had talent and could have done something if not for organizational dysfunction, but Jerry opened the floodgates with TLR.

I'm kinda taking CHGO because other White Sox Talk has just been full of s%*# the past few years, unless I'm just imagining Chuck's "WE JUST GOT EDWIN FREAKING ENCARNACION!" podcast.

Look at these guys' 2019 OPS:

Moncada .915

Anderson .865

Jimenez .828

That's not "doomed from the start." Something happened after 2019 that ruined these guys. COVID may have part of the blame for Moncada, but I'll forever be convinced that TLR was the main reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Look at these guys' 2019 OPS:

Moncada .915

Anderson .865

Jimenez .828

That's not "doomed from the start." Something happened after 2019 that ruined these guys. COVID may have part of the blame for Moncada, but I'll forever be convinced that TLR was the main reason.

Hell, they were still having fun as a team in 2020 (Moncada aside).

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I was told a few times the Cubs privately were actually ridiculing Hahn for being willing to take Eloy in the trade. That they had inklings of his "injury" prone tendencies for whatever reason.

I was told Hahn would get really pissed when he'd hear about what the Cubs were saying from third parties. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I was told a few times the Cubs privately were actually ridiculing Hahn for being willing to take Eloy in the trade. That they had inklings of his "injury" prone tendencies for whatever reason.

I was told Hahn would get really pissed when he'd hear about what the Cubs were saying from third parties. 

This from the team that took Madrigal, and Hauer who have yet (154 games) to play a season combined between the two of them in three years??  

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

This from the team that took Madrigal, and Hauer who have yet (154 games) to play a season combined between the two of them in three years??  

And yet still massively outperforming the absolute horseshit Hahn got, and then doubled down on with the option and Pollock.

Meanwhile, Heuer and Madrigal are under control through 2025/2026, were paid $2M total this season.

2021-2023 White Sox Paid $20M +, Received 0.4 bWAR

• $5.5M 2021 Kimbrel (2021 pro-rated) 0.0 bWAR
  • $14.5M - $16M (2022 Pollock's Contract / Kimbrel's Option, not sure if any cash moved) 0.4 bWAR

2021-2023 Cubs Paid $3.9M, Received 2.2 bWAR

• $2.2M Madrigal (2021 pro-rated - 2023) 1.6 bWAR + '24-'26
  • $1.7M Heuer (2021 pro-rated - 2023) 0.6 bWAR + '24-'25

If I had 2 Billion, I would never purchase an MLB team. Twitter would be a better investment.  Maybe if a salary cap  and other changes were agreed upon, and teams were able to gain a larger share of revenue streams beyond attendance. There are way too many variables with player contracts, injuries, and a few teams perenially outspending others.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And yet still massively outperforming the absolute horseshit Hahn got, and then doubled down on with the option and Pollock.

Meanwhile, Heuer and Madrigal are under control through 2025/2026, were paid $2M total this season.

2021-2023 White Sox Paid $20M +, Received 0.4 bWAR

• $5.5M 2021 Kimbrel (2021 pro-rated) 0.0 bWAR
  • $14.5M - $16M (2022 Pollock's Contract / Kimbrel's Option, not sure if any cash moved) 0.4 bWAR

2021-2023 Cubs Paid $3.9M, Received 2.2 bWAR

• $2.2M Madrigal (2021 pro-rated - 2023) 1.6 bWAR + '24-'26
  • $1.7M Heuer (2021 pro-rated - 2023) 0.6 bWAR + '24-'25

OK already.....I'm just saying Madrigal gets injured as much if not more than Eloy and he who laughs first, doesn't always laugh last.  I'll take Dylan Cease who was the real value in the trade that brought Eloy.

• Hawk 1

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/sports/2023/08/23/chicago-white-sox-nashville-mlb-relocation-jerry-reinsdorf/70660627007/

City of Nashville 

“Nashville has proved to be a world-class sports town, and our (Nashville) Sounds have led the minor leagues in attendance, but there has been no communication with the White Sox about relocating to Music City,” Eagles replied in an email.

Chicago White Sox

We have not had any conversations about our lease situation,” team spokesman Scott Reifert told Crain’s Chicago Business. “With six years remaining, it is naturally nearing a time where discussions should begin to take place. The conversations would be with the city, ISFA and the state, and most likely would be about vision, opportunities and the future.”

2 hours ago, tray said:

If I had 2 Billion, I would never purchase an MLB team. Twitter would be a better investment.  Maybe if a salary cap  and other changes were agreed upon, and teams were able to gain a larger share of revenue streams beyond attendance. There are way too many variables with player contracts, injuries, and a few teams perenially outspending others.

This....is not a good take 

• Like 1