After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

25 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

While I agree with what someone said above that Morosi sounded more like he was speculating rather than reporting what he heard, I certainly like the resume of someone like Mattingly.  He works for new-school Preller and learns about talent evaluation.  Then he works for the very successful, and old school, Dombrowski.  He's seen both sides.  Someone with that kind of experience should do a great job.

Rizzo certainly has had a lot of success, and towers over Moore, that the Nats fell so far off the cliff after winning does give me pause.

The Nats were going to fall off pretty quickly, that was basically written in once they lost Harper and Rendon, they had spent a ton and were getting to the end of their run. It was a lot like the Tigers in our division or the Cubs, staying in contention for years is tough. I don’t blame them for that, and rebuilds take several years. There’s even some deserved credit for being willing to sell Turner and Scherzer Defoe top dollar when they did.

That Strasburg deal was something else when they signed it though.

13 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

A former White Sox scout who did have some hits in trades, but also some misses. Can Jerry ever get anyone who wasn't linked to the White Sox at some point? Thanks for Giolito though Rizzo.

Rizzo is a hell of a scout man. The run recently hasn't been AS good, but his record from 2010-2017 was pretty incredible.

It IS all a little top heavy at times, but he's also actually found free agent talent in the B/C free agents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

A former White Sox scout who did have some hits in trades, but also some misses. Can Jerry ever get anyone who wasn't linked to the White Sox at some point? Thanks for Giolito though Rizzo.

Every GM has misses. Rizzo is probably the one guy with past Sox connections that might actually be able to make a difference.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Every GM has misses. Rizzo is probably the one guy with past Sox connections that might actually be able to make a difference.

I think a lot of people could “make a difference”. The White Sox operations have been awful top to bottom. With the financial advantages they have over the division, if they just had an average GM who set up a normal scouting, development, and operations system, with people doing their jobs and limitations on ownership interference, that’s a regularly competitive organization.

• Like 1

The timing of the KW/Hahn firings along with the holdup with Rizzo's extension could lead us hopeful folks to believe that he is being considered for the job, and the Sox wanted to get the ball rolling by shitcanning the current FO now.

By hopeful folks, I mean everyone...except Bob Nightengale.

And, yes, I know I'm grasping at straws.  Very small, coffee stirrer straws.

• Like 1

I guess it's a question of JR's motives in firing them.

Were they fired just because he felt that the bickering sons just both needed to be pushed out of the nest?
Or did he fire them because he finally realized what a clown show his entire FO was?

If it's the former, we'll get what Nightengale suggests.

if the latter, we might finally get fresh air.

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The timing was because season ticket renewals went out this week.  Reinsdorf figured he'd lose money if he didn't make a move.  This was strickly a business decision. 

So those waiting to hear the news of replacements won't be LESS likely to renew if it's Getz and Moore?

The only name for many that could change or transform minds at this point is Theo Epstein....at the very least, a true outsider with a fresh and objective viewpoint.

That would be more shocking (a warmly embraced announcement) than the two firings thenselves.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So those waiting to hear the news of replacements won't be LESS likely to renew if it's Getz and Moore?

The only name for many that could change or transform minds at this point is Theo Epstein....at the very least, a true outsider with a fresh and objective viewpoint.

That would be more shocking (a warmly embraced announcement) than the two firings thenselves.

Don't forget TLR consulting. Surely this news will get season ticket holders to renew. 

Themselves**

24 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Don't forget TLR consulting. Surely this news will get season ticket holders to renew. 

Themselves**

News of Hostetler remaining, big in the Dayton Moore TLR and Burger trees...will undoubtedly help.  Lol.

Does JR seriously think those firings but Grifol still remaining will inspire anyone?

5 minutes ago, zisk said:

Anyone hear the buzz about Mattingly? Phillies player development, and Dons son. Saw a

blurb about him online this morning.

What about those five years with the Padres lol?

Not sure there's exactly buzz yet though.

He's definitely better than Getz for Chris' current role.

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Rizzo can run and build an org. He would be a great add. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The timing was because season ticket renewals went out this week.  Reinsdorf figured he'd lose money if he didn't make a move.  This was strickly a business decision. 

That would make sense if they required a renewal decision in the immediate future. They don't. And anyone who wouldn't renew because of Hahn and Williams won't renew until they see who the new boss is anyway. I don't understand the timing, but it wasn't this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Of course it was.  Its always about the dollars with this owner.  

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP