Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

We’ve had it since 2018. Over 100 cities have this including likely a few in Texas.

Activists” wanted to be the program, and the mayor publicly ran on ending the program, but the contract was renewed last October

In general it hasn’t been thought to be that effective. It draws a substantial amount of resources because police respond whenever it sends out a message, but it has led to very few actual arrests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Have to side with the Sox/CPD on this one.  Sending 20000 out of the building TOWARDS where they believe the shot came from, while rumors started spreading of a shooter could have caused a horrible panic costing many lives.  Nobody died, nobody seriously hurt, therefore correct response.

But that’s the thing…they don’t know or at least didn’t know where the shot came from at that time.  But you really think if there is someone firing bullets into the park from the outside, the best course of action is to not stop the game, keep the fans and players where they are, and assume more shots won’t be coming in?  There is no way for them to know for sure there wasn’t an active threat at the time and they did absolutely nothing to protect the fans or players.  I get masking the cancellation of the concert with a made-up “technical” issue to prevent mass chaos, but I don’t find it particularly cool that a bullet flew into the LF bleachers two innings before I was walking my nine & six year old boys around the LF concourse.  That’s fucking bullshit and honestly I find it way worse than if someone had snuck a gun in and security had actually apprehended a suspect.

55 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Maybe it was better that they didn't start a panic and have everyone rushing for the exits all at once causing a stampede in which more people may have been hurt.  And if the shot really came from outside the park, it's probably good they didn't send people outside the park until they knew exactly what was going on.  As it was nobody was seriously injured and even people sitting nearby had no idea anything was amiss.  It was a relatively minor incident. 

Ok first - the White Sox and in fact any big event or professional spots team should have sufficient staff on hand and trained to manage a quick move if everyone to the exits in an emergency. It is standard crowd control procedures and is legally required in many states. If you don’t have this, you end up with Astroworld. Hell the facility was barely half full. 

Second, it is challenging to figure out how it is not safe for the players families and guests but everyone else should be allowed to stay.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Trying to figure out how a bullet from the outside hits that specific area.

Biggest White Sox mystery since the clubhouse napper case.  But yeah, it seems  pretty far-fetched physics wise (if it did indeed strike three people) but more likely than a shot going off during the game and no one actually reacting.

One of the links in here has an interview with the lady in question. She literally reaches down to her seat after feeling it and picks up the bullet. I do think if you bring it to the security guard, and that info, that this would not scream active shooter and may have led to the lack of urgency. Esp when there would be no reports of immediate vicinity problems.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In general it hasn’t been thought to be that effective. It draws a substantial amount of resources because police respond whenever it sends out a message, but it has led to very few actual arrests.

Few arrests, but the response has led cpd finding gunshot victims before a 911 call is placed. It's saved a lot of lives. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

We’ve had it since 2018. Over 100 cities have this including likely a few in Texas.

Activists” wanted to be the program, and the mayor publicly ran on ending the program, but the contract was renewed last October

I just learned we had it here until 2017 then cancelled the contract. 

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But that’s the thing…they don’t know or at least didn’t know where the shot came from at that time.  But you really think if there is someone firing bullets into the park from the outside, the best course of action is to not stop the game, keep the fans and players where they are, and assume more shots won’t be coming in?  There is no way for them to know for sure there wasn’t an active threat at the time and they did absolutely nothing to protect the fans or players.  I get masking the cancellation of the concert with a made-up “technical” issue to prevent mass chaos, but I don’t find it particularly cool that a bullet flew into the LF bleachers two innings before I was walking my nine & six year old boys around the LF concourse.  That’s fucking bullshit and honestly I find it way worse than if someone had snuck a gun in and security had actually apprehended a suspect.

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

It was definitely shot outside the stadium, as crazy as that sounds.  There's no way a gun went off in the park and not a single person has come forward claiming they heard it.

I'm glad everyone is going to be okay.  Not a good look!  Maybe they should reconsider their movie where they proudly link the team to the ghetto.

Actually, the "Ghetto" WGCI promoters of Chicagoan Lil Durk's concert ended the concert early for precaution and concern for the 10K plus in the UC. 

There were only (false) reports of shots fired, no victims transported to area hospitals or pools of blood. Compare and contrast this response to the White Sox limited to protecting White Sox/Athletics employees and families (no reports of Jerry being or not being there), and then securing the actual crime scene once police arrived.

Both stadiums were about half full at the time, if anything the UC was closer to capacity based on footage from the aftermath plus floor seating above sport even capacity.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-lil-durk-united-center-false-shooting-report-20230813-m6fnboj4w5ek5frld54tijllqm-story.html

“We are working closely with authorities to investigate all incidents from last evening at the WGCI Summer Jam show,” read a statement from the United Center. “It became apparent for all involved that ending the show early was in everyone’s best interest as the safety of our guests and employees is a priority. We are thankful that initial incident reports were false and that guests exited the facility safely.”

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would you prefer the Sox send you and your kids down a ramp toward a potential active shooter?  Prefer they trigger a stampede involving you and your kids?  Because those were the scenarios they were probably comparing. The goal in this situation is to avoid more casualties.  Their actions accomplished that in a completely unpredictable scenario.

• Like 3

Person in charge: "Jerry, there's been a shooting, three or four fans were hit... Should we cancel the game and get everyone out?

Jerry: "just because you finish with 3 or 4 fans shot doesn't mean it was a bad game, the other fans just want to know we had a shot"

Edited by SoxFest23
  • Like 1

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)
  • Kyyle23 locked this topic
  • Kyyle23 unlocked this topic