Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Remember people do a lot of stupid things. 

First, understand that people hide weapons all over. It’s not uncommon for very fat people to hide weapons in fat rolls. Many people have been locked up with guns up their butts (I assume broken down). I’m being very serious. People hide them wherever they can.

Second, never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. If it was in a fat roll, this person may have carried a gun like that regularly and forgot about it. They probably remembered when the detector went off, but at that point most people aren’t gonna come clean. They’ll just hope they get through.

This is all speculation obviously, as we still don’t know all the facts. But some of these are things I’ve seen and heard myself, or have been told firsthand accounts of by people I trust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

First, understand that people hide weapons all over. It’s not uncommon for very fat people to hide weapons in fat rolls. Many people have been locked up with guns up their butts (I assume broken down). I’m being very serious. People hide them wherever they can.

Second, never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. If it was in a fat roll, this person may have carried a gun like that regularly and forgot about it. They probably remembered when the detector went off, but at that point most people aren’t gonna come clean. They’ll just hope they get through.

This is all speculation obviously, as we still don’t know all the facts. But some of these are things I’ve seen and heard myself, or have been told firsthand accounts of by people I trust.

Are you a cop out of curiosity?

On 8/26/2023 at 8:53 AM, fathom said:

It’s the worst franchise in sports, and that’s only based off of what becomes public.   There’s so much stuff out there doesn’t go public which makes you sick.

Are the Sox really the worst? Yikes. I remember when I was an older teen I had a friend who worked for the Sox and he told me about the basement level where they 'allegedly' would rough up or threaten to rough up fans if they did something outrageous during a drunken stupor during the game. ... on a positive not, one time my gramps fell and was bleeding and had to go to the hospital to get checked out and the Sox staff was wonderful tending to him, etc.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

And people assume she felt threatened and was protecting herself from violence *at* the game. 

Could be she didn't want the gun stolen and felt this was safer than leaving it at home.

She could have felt threatened by public transportation before and/or after the game. Especially if she is living around Wrigley. 

She may have just bought it from someone in the neighborhood and was transporting it back home and decided to catch a Sox game. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

And people assume she felt threatened and was protecting herself from violence *at* the game. 

Could be she didn't want the gun stolen and felt this was safer than leaving it at home.

She could have felt threatened by public transportation before and/or after the game. Especially if she is living around Wrigley. 

She may have just bought it from someone in the neighborhood and was transporting it back home and decided to catch a Sox game. 

Who cares why she did it.  None of the above absolves her from bringing a gun to a game, smuggling it through security, and ultimately hurting herself and friends.  I don’t really care to know why she did it, the idea was dumb from jump 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Who cares why she did it.  None of the above absolves her from bringing a gun to a game, smuggling it through security, and ultimately hurting herself and friends.  I don’t really care to know why she did it, the idea was dumb from jump 

And if she felt threatened for whatever reason, now she's given fans at 30 baseball stadiums reasons to feel paranoid.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

And if she felt threatened for whatever reason, now she's given fans at 30 baseball stadiums reasons to feel paranoid.

I just hope they start taking security more seriously, at ALL stadiums. Like I said earlier, I went to Wrigley for the Cubs-Sox game recently and they didn't use a metal detector at all. It really surprised me. I'm worried some wackjob saw this and realized how easy it is to get a weapon into a stadium. 

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I just hope they start taking security more seriously, at ALL stadiums. Like I said earlier, I went to Wrigley for the Cubs-Sox game recently and they didn't use a metal detector at all. It really surprised me. I'm worried some wackjob saw this and realized how easy it is to get a weapon into a stadium. 

That's wild to me, considering that they use one for Brooklyn Cyclones game.

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Still just speculation at this point.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ron883 said:

They use a new type of security scanning system at Wrigley.   It does not require removing small items from your pockets.   I went to the Springsteen concert at Wrigley a few weeks ago and it does speed up the entry time.

https://stadiumtechreport.com/feature/wrigley-field-adds-new-technology-for-security-concessions/

5 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

They use a new type of security scanning system at Wrigley.   It does not require removing small items from your pockets.   I went to the Springsteen concert at Wrigley a few weeks ago and it does speed up the entry time.

https://stadiumtechreport.com/feature/wrigley-field-adds-new-technology-for-security-concessions/

Is that system free, by any chance? Because if the Sox have to pay a substantial amount to upgrade to it, that’s gonna be one less free agent.

CPD could have shut down the event if they so chose, the Sox wouldn't have had a choice to continue.  That's basically what happened at the LiL Durk UC concert.

I wonder if the gun shot wound was identified as self inflicted by CPD, and they considered the threat over when she left the building?

Still lots of questions.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

And she needs to be prosecuted if that's the case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

And she needs to be prosecuted if that's the case. 

I have a hunch she is either CPS/CTU, possible off duty police (City or Suburbs) and or politically connected. 

If any media exists in Chicago, they will send FOIA requests if the organizations (CWS/CPD/City) stonewall / do not provide further responses over the next week.

Also, it appears there was only one shot fired, with the stomach graze wound the result of a powder wound when the weapon discharged, with the bullet striking the women adjacent in the leg.

https://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2023/08/no-s%*#-fred.html

Second city is alluding to the possibility the shooting perp is a CPS teacher, illegally living in the suburbs (CPS teachers are required to live in Chicago).

Edited by South Side Hit Men

So a person successfully smuggled a gun past White Sox security...

And Ronald Acuna jr. Just was tackled or knocked over while security was apprehending two people who ran onto the field up to him.

This is going to end with these events being combined together at some point, isn't it?

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And Ronald Acuna jr. Just was tackled or knocked over while security was apprehending two people who ran onto the field up to him.

This is going to end with these events being combined together at some point, isn't it?

Are there similarities between the two? This is the first I’ve heard about the Acuna thing.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We had the Ligues over 2 decades ago.

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The idea is dumb. My point is towards the people who are painting Chicago and especially the southside as unsafe based on her "bringing a gun to the Rate". 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The idea is dumb. My point is towards the people who are painting Chicago and especially the southside as unsafe based on her "bringing a gun to the Rate". 

It’s hard to disagree about the safety when she successfully did it 

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s hard to disagree about the safety when she successfully did it 

The safety issue I'm addressing is that the Rate is unsafe and she therefore needed it for protection. I don't believe she needed it at the Rate, in the parking lot near the Rate, and probably not anywhere on her trip home. 

You are bringing up a different issue. Is the Rate unsafe because she was successful at smuggling it in? I hadn't even thought of that angle.