Sox place Clevinger on waivers

soxfan49

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

How exactly do waivers work since they changed the rules? Are these guys FA no matter what if no one claimed them, or can teams pull them back?

I think if they go unclaimed, they would be released and owed what we money is left on their deal. I don’t think it’s like the old waiver claim & trade that we saw in years past where they could pull guys back. 

25 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I think if they go unclaimed, they would be released and owed what we money is left on their deal. I don’t think it’s like the old waiver claim & trade that we saw in years past where they could pull guys back. 

I think they can pull them back. Tyler Anderson is also on waivers and he has 2 years left.

Also, Clevinger is with the team. If he were to be waived where he would go to a new team or released if not claimed, I don’t think he would be there.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Ignoring his off the field stuff - on the field he has actually been a good pick up and has been throwing the ball very well. I could absolutely see a contender picking him up. Especially one who was under the luxury tax. 

What is 5M if it gets you a pitcher who has put up 3 War so far this year without giving up anything but some cash. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Nah, they just stay on their team. They can of course get DFAd or released in a separate transaction but these waivers don’t mean that the player is for sure gone if no other team puts in a claim. 

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah, they just stay on their team. They can of course get DFAd or released in a separate transaction but these waivers don’t mean that the player is for sure gone if no other team puts in a claim. 

Damn. Wishful thinking on my part then. 

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ignoring his off the field stuff - on the field he has actually been a good pick up and has been throwing the ball very well. I could absolutely see a contender picking him up. Especially one who was under the luxury tax. 

What is 5M if it gets you a pitcher who has put up 3 War so far this year without giving up anything but some cash. 

Yea but he still has missed a lot of time.  It isn’t even as simple as “well, he has pitched good” because you still can’t count on him to be healthy 

They need someone to pitch some innings, so I expect they will keep him if nobody claims him and they have to pay him anyway.

They can stay  if they want. They also can go, get paid by the White Sox, and try to find a new team or take a vacation. These are either release or outright waivers.

If he doesn't get picked up, there's a decent chance the mutual option gets picked up I think, which would be a rarity. The Sox pick it up since they already have to pay him 4 million and he's much better than the extra 8 million option. Clevinger sees he couldn't be traded, and now couldn't be waived, may realize there's no market for him. We shall see though.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I thought the standard was pretty much everyone goes on waivers. Is this because they are all on the irrevocable waivers?

This is what I thought, but I haven’t seen “irrevocable” mentioned at all. Then there’s people saying that Gio and Lopez were released. Guess we’ll find out for sure on Thursday.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is what I thought, but I have seen “irrevocable” mentioned at all. Then there’s people saying that Gio and Lopez were released. Guess we’ll find out for sure on Thursday.

ok, buried in a link in that fangraphs post above is this:

However, unlike under prior CBAs, waivers are not revocable on either side of the transaction. 

So you can't pull anyone back, so putting someone on waivers is truly a different move than before.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/qa-what-the-heck-did-the-angels-and-some-other-teams-just-do/

also this was helpful, 

While this process is generally similar to what happens after a DFA, the outcome if a player goes unclaimed is decidedly different. If none of the other 29 teams bite on a player, he simply remains with his current team. He can’t be placed on waivers again, but he can be DFA’d and go through that waiver process. At that point, however, it would be too late for postseason eligibility.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m wondering why it’s all happening this late. Is there a rule that teams can’t do that earlier in the month?

For the Angels, they realized they're hosed, so they're trying to dump salary to get under the Luxury Tax threshold.

If they can get under that threshold, their compensation for losing Ohtani as a FA will go from a post-4th pick to a post-2nd pick.

I believe someone else posted that info here earlier in the thread (or in the Gio / Lopez thread), so give credit there if the above information is accurate.

27 minutes ago, JoeC said:

For the Angels, they realized they're hosed, so they're trying to dump salary to get under the Luxury Tax threshold.

If they can get under that threshold, their compensation for losing Ohtani as a FA will go from a post-4th pick to a post-2nd pick.

I believe someone else posted that info here earlier in the thread (or in the Gio / Lopez thread), so give credit there if the above information is accurate.

Yeah I get why some teams would wait until late. But there has to be worse teams that have impending bigger free agent salaries that are not going to get a QO (cough cough Grandal cough cough) that you think would have been exposed at some point to clear as much salary as possible. That’s why I’m wondering if there was a specific date teams had to wait until.

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I get why some teams would wait until late. But there has to be worse teams that have impending bigger free agent salaries that are not going to get a QO (cough cough Grandal cough cough) that you think would have been exposed at some point to clear as much salary as possible. That’s why I’m wondering if there was a specific date teams had to wait until.

It may have more to do with teams who might consider claiming someone getting a clearer picture of there chances at making the playoffs and the health of their current roster. So since a claimed player needs to be claimed by Sept 1st in order to be eligible for the playoffs being put on waivers a week or so prior to that date gives any claiming team a chance to pay a potential playoff roster player as little as possible while also assessing the most recent performance of said player.