It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't feel bad for him. I'm pretty sure if there were 29 other GM openings this winter, he would land none of them

Maybe instead of "kind of," the better choice of words would have been "almost."

There's a 99% chance that he's now peaked professionally. Starting today, he's going to be on a downward trajectory.

Of course, he's now gone further than 99% of the rest of baseball in terms of front-office roles... but these next few years are going to be rough for him.

Again, I ALMOST (edited from "kind of") feel bad for him.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Don't want to speak for all Sox fans, but I believe most are on the same page...this isn't really about Chris Getz the person. Yes, his role as Director of the Minor Leagues has not gone well, but quite frankly I don't think many of us actually know what goes into the day to day of that job, and I also believe the way the entire organization is set up puts all players behind the 8Ball so to speak. This isn't about Chris Getz the man, it's about the process and the person in his role getting this title, without a search to boot. 

I think you can safely speak for all fans with this point. This team failed miserably and the solution was to fire the guys in charge and promote another guy who is just as ingrained in that failure as the guys who were just fired.

Its bullshit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I think you can safely speak for all fans with this point. This team failed miserably and the solution was to fire the guys in charge and promote another guy who is just as ingrained in that failure as the guys who were just fired.

Its bullshit.

The minor league development and coach hires were as bad as anything in the organization during Getz tenure

• Like 1

Jerry= Mr. Internal Hire. Even when the system is bleeding internally. He simply doesn't want an outsider coming into his country club and rock the boat. He would rather lose than hire someone from the outside that is bold enough to make the neccessary whole sale changes that this team desperately needs. 

Jerry needs to go! #SellTheTeam 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I 100% agree, but I'm just responding to the poster that maybe perhaps it doesn't go form bad to worse.   At lease we got rid of what truly was  inept leadership.  

Not trying to nitpik....but that's also not true. Yes, the Sox did fire two people that would be considered "inept" in their leadership skills. But the ringleader is still here, obviously. So I'm really not sure what changes with Kenny and Rick gone, but "their guy" taking their place, you know? Again, all we can do is wait and see (literally that's the only thing fans can do) but there is no reason at this point to be optimistic, aside from blind faith. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Here’s my question….can the Hahn apologists blame KW for everything still when Getz makes a bad move?

Question for you or the other insiders? Who brought home the red stapler last Tuesday, Rick or Kenny?

Steve Stone on the Score now, will report the extent of his kissing Jerry and Getz' ass if higher than expected.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the press release:

The White Sox hired Getz away from the Royals in October 2016 as director of player development in a move earning high praise around baseball. He was promoted to assistant general manager in January 2021 and was part of the hiring process for Grifol, whom he played for and worked with in Kansas City.

Also from the press release:

This year's club has struggled with fundamentals and has been subpar defensively overall. There have also been clubhouse chemistry issues, but not all of the problems fall upon Grifol, who is expected to be back for a second season.

These two quotes remind me of my favorite Gilmore Girls quote of all time:

"When a woman gives birth to a crack baby, you do not buy her a puppy"

(note: how many times can you all recall someone quoting Gilmore Girls on this board... in context?)

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Question for you or the other insiders? Who brought home the stapler last Tuesday, Rick or Kenny?

Steve Stone on the Score now, will report the extent of his kissing Jerry and Getz' ass if higher than expected.

No clue, haven’t asked because this whole thing is just asinine.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

The problem with wanting Jerry to sell the team when he’s alive is you damn well know he will only sell to someone who shares a similar vision.  No way would he sell to someone like Cuban.  

I think Jerry will sell to whomever would give him the most money.  The Cuban problem is not Jerry, it is the rest of the owners who have been keeping him out 

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

Its bullshit.

Yep, if Getz ends up being good it’s entirely luck and I’d be shocked if he ends up good.  An absolutely pathetic and insane process that he ends up as GM especially when the part of the organization he oversaw was horrible during his tenure. 

37 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have an issue with Chris Getz's title. Giving him the GM title as the lead decision maker is a mistake imo. It doesn't let you poach from other orgs. If he were given the title of President of Baseball OPS, you could then hire a GM from somewhere and inflate the title to get another smart person in the org. Carter Hawkins isn't in charge of baseball ops but the Cubs were able to take him by elevating his title essentially. It's happened all over the sport. 

No one has ever help a title higher tha Howard Pizer and at this point you have to figure no one ever will. 

56 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

So if they have a press conference introducing Getz, who's going to introduce him? We all know Reinsdorf won't dare face the media and Getz is the number 2 guy in the organization now, so will he be introduced by a subordinate?

chuck garfien

• bmags unpinned this topic