It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

7 hours ago, DirtySox said:

This is a great listen with Law.

@Harold's Leg Lift He seems to echo some of your sentiments.

Ok so I actually listened to this.  I've been out on Law but he actually made some good points about the organization though he totally backtracked his thoughts about Gonzalez which isn't the least bit surprising.  The best thing about the Getz hire is he's going to let the scouting director and his staff do their job and he's not going to think his computer is smarter than everyone else.  This organization is a total shitshow from top to bottom because of a lack of communication and lack of accountability.  I absolutely believe Getz is the guy who can clean it up it's going to take some time.  Despite what Reinsdorf said no one can clean up a mess like this over night.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ok so I actually listened to this.  I've been out on Law but he actually made some good points about the organization though he totally backtracked his thoughts about Gonzalez which isn't the least bit surprising.  The best thing about the Getz hire is he's going to let the scouting director and his staff do their job and he's not going to think his computer is smarter than everyone else.  This organization is a total shitshow from top to bottom because of a lack of communication and lack of accountability.  I absolutely believe Getz is the guy who can clean it up it's going to take some time.  Despite what Reinsdorf said no one can clean up a mess like this over night.  

Yes, because that’s what all of our problems were with Rick Hahn, too much interference from the computer. I mean, their staff is loaded with people that have strong histories of success and it isn’t like their staff is legitimately 4x too small so no one is overworked. But, I’m sure Getz has a plan to talk to Reinsdorf in the future about about this and I’m sure it will be totally effective.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DirtySox said:

This is so dumb. You should be able to hire a white male, an asian woman, a purple transgendered alien, or a fish from a different universe if they’re the best for the job.

f*** it. Hire the whole damned front office from a pool of fucking alternate universe fish and violate the f*** out of the representation rules…

Would be better than what we have now. 

25 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This is so dumb. You should be able to hire a white male, an asian woman, a purple transgendered alien, or a fish from a different universe if they’re the best for the job.

f*** it. Hire the whole damned front office from a pool of fucking alternate universe fish and violate the f*** out of the representation rules…

Amoeba if they can competently operate the AI sabes machine...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

You certainly should. You should also be expected to conduct an external and unbiased search for key positions. Very few teams seem to be totally unwilling to do so. It might well be 1 team.

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You certainly should. You should also be expected to conduct an external and unbiased search for key positions. Very few teams seem to be totally unwilling to do so. It might well be 1 team.

No s%*#. So dumb. I’ve never in my life felt more ashamed to be a fan nor have I disliked this owner more.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

What is your fascination with sham interviews? And why are you singling out JR? Every MLB GM is a white male with 2exceptions? And where did one get her first opportunity in baseball? JR has had minority managers , a black executive for almost 25 years, as well as other minority and women employees holding key positions. Getz doesn’t deserve the job, I will give you that, but are you going to be happy when the Mets line up a black man to interview after the season and then name Stearns their president?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What is your fascination with sham interviews? And why are you singling out JR? Every MLB GM is a white male with 1 exception? And where did she get her first opportunity in baseball? JR has had minority managers , a black executive for almost 25 years, as well as other minority and women employees holding key positions. Getz doesn’t deserve the job, I will give you that, but are you going to be happy when the Mets line up a black man to interview after the season and then name Stearns their president?

One thing Reinsdorf has been good at is hiring people of color in key positions. His biggest problem is that he wants to hire people who he likes because they make him feel comfortable. So, the Sox get people like Getz and Ventura. And this is one reason why the Sox have been to the World Series only once during Reinsdorf's tenure.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

What is your fascination with sham interviews? And why are you singling out JR? Every MLB GM is a white male with 2exceptions? And where did one get her first opportunity in baseball? JR has had minority managers , a black executive for almost 25 years, as well as other minority and women employees holding key positions. Getz doesn’t deserve the job, I will give you that, but are you going to be happy when the Mets line up a black man to interview after the season and then name Stearns their president?

Why am I singling out a dramatic shift on the part of the team I was a fan of for decades? Why am I calling out a guy who was on the record 10 years ago praising the work of the Selig rule at encouraging diversity who now ignores it himself as he removes diversity from his front office (seriously go check out his employees). Why don’t I complain more about bad behavior by the Mets on a White Sox message board?

I’m very used to people trying to use distraction when they know they can’t actually support actions but totally want to, but “why are you stressing about the White Sox on a message board devoted to the White Sox” is rather impressive.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why am I singling out a dramatic shift on the part of the team I was a fan of for decades? Why am I calling out a guy who was on the record 10 years ago praising the work of the Selig rule at encouraging diversity who now ignores it himself as he removes diversity from his front office (seriously go check out his employees). Why don’t I complain more about bad behavior by the Mets on a White Sox message board?

I’m very used to people trying to use distraction when they know they can’t actually support actions but totally want to, but “why are you stressing about the White Sox on a message board devoted to the White Sox” is rather impressive.

The fact is you seem to be fine with the process of having a minority go through an interview where the team interviewing them is just doing it to meet some rule. You aren’t looking at the bigger problem where black people aren’t playing baseball and as a result not getting into roles where they should be considered as a GM. I don’t like the Getz hire, but it doesn’t piss me off that JR didn’t “interview” Frank Thomas for the job, he wanted it, to meet some quanta if he wasn’t going to be hired. The fact is there are not a lot of minority candidates out there that one can think of offhand. Do you have any names?  Would you interview for a job there was no chance you would get if the reason it was even scheduled was to meet some rule?

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The fact is you seem to be fine with the process of having a minority go through an interview where the team interviewing them is just doing it to meet some rule. You aren’t looking at the bigger problem where black people aren’t playing baseball and as a result not getting into roles where they should be considered as a GM. I don’t like the Getz hire, but it doesn’t piss me off that JR didn’t “interview” Frank Thomas for the job, he wanted it, to meet some quanta if he wasn’t going to be hired. The fact is there are not a lot of minority candidates out there that one can think of offhand. Do you have any names?  Would you interview for a job there was no chance you would get if the reason it was even scheduled was to meet some rule?

I am looking at the big picture. I know I can’t fix everything, nor can any rule do so. But the Selig rule is a good thing. Teams should have to conduct fair and unbiased processes, they should not be allowed to choose someone who just happens to look like them through an unfair process decided before it starts Because then they will always choose the easy white guy, just like Reinsdorf is now doing.

Jerry Reinsdorf was right, that rule was a good thing, which is why it’s so disappointing to see Reinsdorf turn his back in that progress and  remove the diversity from his front office.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I am looking at the big picture. I know I can’t fix everything, nor can any rule do so. But the Selig rule is a good thing. Teams should have to conduct fair and unbiased processes, they should not be allowed to choose someone who just happens to look like them through an unfair process decided before it starts Because then they will always choose the easy white guy, just like Reinsdorf is now doing.

Jerry Reinsdorf was right, that rule was a good thing, which is why it’s so disappointing to see Reinsdorf turn his back in that progress and  remove the diversity from his front office.

I too wish he would have retained KW as the GM. We'd be losing, but you would feel good about it at least. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The problem here is that KW has been an absentee landlord more or less in terms of his everyday involvement for a decade.

And yet he seemingly wants to be "in the action" still, but there's just no way his knowledge of minor league talent is what it was a decade ago.

Would love to know if KW even watched Eder pitch in person, and who were the scouts that made that recommendation?

As we have talked about more frequently (compared to the front office hires), with roughly 35% of players being Hispanic and certainly the White Sox reflect that, the focus has been more in that direction for the coaching staff since the Renteria hire.

How many franchises have hired three Spanish-speaking managers in a row?  And that doesn't even count Cairo and Montoyo?

Of course, we all can assume Getz, Thome and even Konerko have JR's ear...and that's something that no Selig Rule will ever change, one's instincts/intuition/who one really trusts for advice/recommendations.

Between 35 and 40 percent of assistant coaches in the NFL have been Black in recent seasons. The percentage of Black coordinators increased from between 15 and 20 percent in recent seasons to nearer 30 percent in 2022, driven by an increase in Black defensive coordinators.

If you could prove to JR you could make more money with an all-minority team or front office or coaching staff, that's about the only way you'd get him to seriously consider it.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

According to Bob, the Big Hurt wanted the GM job. Now he’s angling for Farm Director. Also, KW wants to join the Angels.

lol, god that would be perfect. He's perfect for what they're doing out in LAA

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You just pulled the bolded text straight out of your ass.  Please provide some evidence that they hired Getz because he was white, passing up more qualified black candidates.  Put up, or shut up because you're acting outlandish (and racist, frankly).

There are so many reasons to dislike the Getz hire, I have no clue why you would choose to make his skin color the focus of your ire.  Race baiting is tiresome.

Edited by Green Line
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Getz has a hard job in front of him. I think its fair to say that Hahn has to be the worse GM in modern White Sox history. Hopefully Getz will be better. He has taken over a team that can't hit or score runs. In more than half of their games this year they have scored 3 or less runs. The teams second baseman, third baseman, catcher and right fielder can't hit.  We're stuck with Moncada for one more year, so realistically Getz has to try and get a second baseman, catcher and right fielder in the off season. It will be curious to see what he does in the off season to fill these holes. I was at the game yesterday and was watching Kopech warmup in the bullpen. He was all over the place in the bullpen. Sure enough he walked 5 people in less than 2 innings and was taken from the game. Kopech was one of Hahns guys. Hahn is gone and I would like to think that Kopech will be gone before Opening Day next year. I've heard where some people think Kopech belongs in the bullpen. I can't see that happening simply because of his control issues.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Getz has a hard job in front of him. I think its fair to say that Hahn has to be the worse GM in modern White Sox history. Hopefully Getz will be better. He has taken over a team that can't hit or score runs. In more than half of their games this year they have scored 3 or less runs. The teams second baseman, third baseman, catcher and right fielder can't hit.  We're stuck with Moncada for one more year, so realistically Getz has to try and get a second baseman, catcher and right fielder in the off season. It will be curious to see what he does in the off season to fill these holes. I was at the game yesterday and was watching Kopech warmup in the bullpen. He was all over the place in the bullpen. Sure enough he walked 5 people in less than 2 innings and was taken from the game. Kopech was one of Hahns guys. Hahn is gone and I would like to think that Kopech will be gone before Opening Day next year. I've heard where some people think Kopech belongs in the bullpen. I can't see that happening simply because of his control issues.

Unless the Sox somehow acquire by whatever means four starting pitchers Kopech isn't going anywhere.

• Like 2

Just now, GGajewski18 said:

The Sox have no chance at competing next year.  It's going to be another miserable year on contrary to what JR thinks.  

I would expect to see Cease, Eloy, and TA traded this off season

Expect to be disappointed 

• bmags unpinned this topic