9/20 vs. WSH: “There’s No Gamethread” Gamethread

Eminor3rd

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not to derail the conversation and stir up the masses, but I think Harry changed a bit and became even more of a jerk toward the tail end of his Sox tenure.

I realize he was huge when he got to Chicago being the famous voice of the Cards and had a name and ego before he got to the south side but me thinks he got worse in the ego department in Chitown where he was the mayor of Rush Street.

My dad's partner at the Board of Trade was one of many of the Sox ownership group until he died and my dad had occasion to be around Harry a lot postgame in the Bard's Room.

Back in the day for worse more than better people drank their butts off after games even if they had to drive. There was little concern about repercussions of driving while bombed.

I guess Harry was hard to tolerate after a certain amount of drinks/beers/whatever. Not trying to disparage Harry. I loved the guy. I remember my friends and I would send a note up to Harry during games (remember he'd read on the air you were at the game if u sent up a note) and he'd announce we were there.

People actually would notice if Harry read your name and tell me they heard I was at the game and it was neat of him to read fans notes on the air.

We did it like clockwork. My dad had season tix in the fifth row and would give me four tickets as he sat somewhere else with his partner and I'd go with 3 friends. Before getting seated we'd always have the guard send our note up to Harry with a little line or joke on there. "Falstaff forever" or "We love Zisk" on there or something. He'd read those messages on the air. That was Harry. The fan broadcaster.

Any how my dad ultimately followed the lead of JR and the minority owners who despised Harry at the end. My dad would simply say 'what a jerk' when I'd quiz him on Harry. As a fan though I never wavered. I loved him. I remember one rain delay he and Jimmy tore the Sox apart while killing time. It was brutal. Harry would have attacked this team big time.

Rest in peace Harry you shoulda been a Sox announcer forever like Hawk.

The Sox actually offered Harry more money than he signed on to the Cubs for the 1982 season but with "SportsVision" about to start and his dislike of the owners he left. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Sox actually offered Harry more money than he signed on to the Cubs for the 1982 season but with "SportsVision" about to start and his dislike of the owners he left. 

Harry had the Sunshine Boys figured out after only 1 year. It took me until 1983.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That error on Anderson in the first is the epitome of this season.  Sadly, he cannot leave soon enough. 

I agree. He's got to go. I do think we can get a good haul for him as he figures to thrive outside of Chicago with a real manager.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

There are a lot more things worse than that with this bunch but Benintendi has been a big disappointment.

Apparently his numbers have fallen off a cliff over the last month because he was on pace for a 2 WAR season the last time I looked a few weeks ago and now he's on pace for a 0 WAR season, and that's with almost all his HR in the second half. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

yeah, I'm just saying the sox beat the bears in an employee getting charged by the FBI. 

"A Bears spokesperson said there was no police activity at Halas Hall on Wednesday or any other day relating to Williams." - Sun Times story

17 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

There are a lot more things worse than that with this bunch but Benintendi has been a big disappointment.

Beni is short for 'mediocre ballplayer.' I'd rate him 4.5 out of 10.

I see Vaughn is up to .270. It's 'possible' if he can learn to elevate more he becomes an average to above average MLB hitter. I'd say right now the only Sox who have a moderately bright future with the team are: Robert, Clevinger, Vaughn. In the group of players who would shock me but have a 20 percent chance of being above average: Eloy, Kopech (can't believe I put Kopech). That's it folks. I've given up on Moncada and TA. Dump them. And clean house in the bullpen again. Get rid of all those folks.

Edited by greg775

We'll see if he starts the season OK next year or if the Sox screw around like with so many other guys "hoping" the injury situation gets better.

"With his season workload at 60 appearances and 6613 innings pitched, in high leverage opportunities including closer role responsibilities for the first time in his career, White Sox right-hander Gregory Santos is calling it a season.

The hard-throwing 24-year-old who was acquired in a minor trade last offseason after being designated for assignment by the Giants and ascended to ninth-inning duty with closer Liam Hendriks lost for most of the season, Santos was placed on the 15-day injured list with right elbow inflammation Wednesday.

Left-hander Garrett Crochet was returned from his rehab assignment with shoulder inflammation, taking Santos’ roster spot.

Santos’ previous high workload was 35 Triple-A innings in the Giants’ system. The Sox are not sure of the severity of the injury yet for a pitcher who figures prominently in the 2024 bullpen, if healthy."

Edited by Lip Man 1